IGNORED

Two mins, Sixteen secs

anny84

I don't know...a bunch of reasons probably added up to using that for the length of a game.

Clicking a "jiffy" every 64th frame is easy to keep track of in terms of "bits" (64 is a power of 2...corresponding to a single bit's on/off state). Coupled with keeping another bit's positive/negative status means that it produces 128 x 64 frames, or approx. 2:15. This doesn't quite match up with the television's 60 jiffies/sec...so if a game ran too much longer, a user would eventually notice that any ingame clock (if displayed) isn't keeping track of seconds correctly. The advantage of relying on positive/negative status in the timer means that could double as the flag for inactive games...a game is in progress only when one state is true. In addition to that, using a single byte to keep track of either score means that you end up with a very short period before a score would roll over (at 9 if using the same byte for both players, or 99 if using seperate bytes)...so a short game time period is an advantage there.

• Like 2

this is why girls don't come here. Shame on you, boys!

Anny,

Which games in particular? I am trying to think of timed games that are 2:16...?

Combat and Air Sea Battle games are 2:16 long. There might be others too. After 2:00, the scores start to blink, telling you that you're down to your last :16 of game time.

I honestly don't understand the point of the thread. Plus for all we know it is some 46 year old overweight guy.

Too true. I made the mistake once on another forum of addressing another forum member named "Andrea" as a she and was quickly informed that "Andrea" is a boy's name in Europe, it's pronounced On-DRAY-a instead of An-DREE-a.

Edited by OldAtarian

this is why girls don't come here. Shame on you, boys!

Anny,

Which games in particular? I am trying to think of timed games that are 2:16...?

Combat and Air Sea Battle games are 2:16 long. There might be others too. After 2:00, the scores start to blink, telling you that you're down to your last :16 of game time.

AH, I get it, thanks!

It has me wondering if you couldn't do longer timers than 2:16 by handing control of the clock over to a new counter every time you reach a multiple of 2:16 and killing the old counter as soon as it loses it's accuracy all while seamlessly maintaining the clock on screen.

So you start with counter A maintaining the clock to 2:16 then starting a counter B to 4:32 then starting a counter C to 6:48, and so on starting over again at A when you run out of variables.

Edited by OldAtarian

Since the long "positive/negative" timer is seperate from the framecounter, you can just bump the positive/negative one when the framecounter rolls to zero instead of at every 64th. That produces 256 x 128 frames, or about 9 minutes. In Combat, the framecounter check is near the top of the binary (change AND #$3F to two NOP instructions).

I don't know...a bunch of reasons probably added up to using that for the length of a game.

Clicking a "jiffy" every 64th frame is easy to keep track of in terms of "bits" (64 is a power of 2...corresponding to a single bit's on/off state). Coupled with keeping another bit's positive/negative status means that it produces 128 x 64 frames, or approx. 2:15. This doesn't quite match up with the television's 60 jiffies/sec...so if a game ran too much longer, a user would eventually notice that any ingame clock (if displayed) isn't keeping track of seconds correctly. The advantage of relying on positive/negative status in the timer means that could double as the flag for inactive games...a game is in progress only when one state is true. In addition to that, using a single byte to keep track of either score means that you end up with a very short period before a score would roll over (at 9 if using the same byte for both players, or 99 if using seperate bytes)...so a short game time period is an advantage there.

That's right, thanks. There's the reason all 2'16" games in Italy are 2'45" long. We in Italy have 50 j/s instead of 60.

To everyone: I'm 26... not so young. But thanks anyway ;)

Thanks