IGNORED

Street Racer hack... is there any?

anny84

the Street Racer cartridge is very poor. But it can be useful to veeeery young kids for playing to some, innocent, shoot-em up in some game competition at kid school or a party. The trouble is: it's too easy to each 99 points for one-player games. In italy where the games are 2'45" long it's also easier to go over.

Is there some good programmer (I know there's someone here) able to hack it for me, so it will be provide three/four digits on the score (four digits are better for Number Cruncher variation), or simply a roll-up (after 99, come back to 0) and add an "dot" display on the score screen every time a multiple of 100 points is reached?

The same hack can be done on some "Air-Sea Battle" variation where the 99 points are also easy to reach.

Thanks in advance... I know someone of you can do it.... I will be grateful!!

Anny

The good news is that SR is only 2k, so expanding the game is as easy as pushing the last 4 bytes 2048 bytes forward. There's also a little ram unused to expand the scores to be 2xBCD instead of 1xBCD.

The bad news is that the score loop in the display kernel is only designed to display an 8-bit bitmap value for each score (stored to PF1)...so you'd need an alternate bitmap set for reversed numbers in order to store other bitmapped numbers to the screen...and alter the loop to read and store to the additional PF register on each half of the screen.

But what is the point? It would be easier just to remove the upper limit for scores and allow it to roll over.

Changing each of these 10 bytes to NOP (value $EA) oughta do it...

LF6A0:
      lda    #$00                    ;2
      sta    $94                     ;3
      sta    $81                     ;3
      lda    #$99                    ;2
      sta    $8A,X                   ;4

Score rollover versions for NTSC and PAL:

thanks, you're great!

maybe the only trouble to use the rollover version is on number cruncher variation, where you can go over 100 a lot of times during a game. working on some object showing number of times 100 is reached, could be a good way to improve the game. i am not a programmer, but a colored dot on the screen (a different color each time 100 is reached) could be a solution.

anny