IGNORED

Atari Activision vs HES PastFinder

qix_maniac

I've done some reading and research and notice Pastfinder for Atari 800xl has 2 cartridge variations or labels for Pastfinder. Can anyone confirm this? and do you have pics to show differences?

I hear one cartridge has "Activision" embedded on back of cartridge and HES version does not?

Plus lable of HES version only has activision on top of lable and no writting on bottom of lable like activision version with year and © info at bottom...

which one is more rare? the HES version or Activision label variation? and difference in game play? your thoughts?

Edited by qix_maniac

I have the HES one and what you say is correct. The picture looks like it's been zoomed in and cropped funny. The game is exactly the same however and unless you really looked at the label, you'd never notice the difference.

I'd say that the Activision version is rarer, I've seen more HES versions than Activision.

Tempest

I have the HES one and what you say is correct. The picture looks like it's been zoomed in and cropped funny. The game is exactly the same however and unless you really looked at the label, you'd never notice the difference.

I'd say that the Activision version is rarer, I've seen more HES versions than Activision.

Tempest

Thanks for explanation. I always tought HES meant HesWare but I guess not since they say Activion on the label. Maybe Hes is Activision UK?

• 1 year later...

I'm confused then. Atarimania shows two versions and only one picture under the HES version? Does anyone have side by side pics of both? Atarimania ranks this cart as a 7 for Activision version and 8 for HES! This is much more than that. In 6 years I've only seen one NIB version and it is for sale now on eBay Germany.

Edited by chrislynn5

That would make mine, I think, Activision's copy. I'll try to take a picture today. I really don't understand why HES took 4 games (?) and re-distributed them. Why change a label slightly, without including your mark, instead of fully rebranding it. I guess creating these 4 games for Australia only? And if the games are not PAL then that makes even less sense.

Thanx.

Hi,

Here is a photo of my Activision one.

Maybe someone could post a HES version.

Pastfinder Front.jpg Pastfinder Back.jpg

Hope this is useful,

Doug

Is that the Activision one? Mine looks just like that, but I always assumed it was HES because of the way the picture was cropped and the lack of copyright info on the bottom. Mine is in an Activision shell as well.

I believe it is HES for sure. Especially since HES carts came in that plastic shell.

I have the same cart and it is HES although my Pastfinder for HES the back does not say "Activision" it's just smooth with no writing.

I also have activision pastfinder and at bottom of label says

"Audiovisual Concept, Label and Program

c 1984 Activision, INC CC-104-04"

I'm trying to upload pictures but it's not working for some reason????

Edited by qix_maniac

And look at what I got the other day! I wonder if I will be scammed.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3006300627341?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=300630062734&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

6488430437_c488394989.jpg

Congratulations! personally I would not of told anyone until I had received those carts in hand! you never know when someone will contact the seller and let them know and try to strike a deal; it's a shame to say but it's true. way to go!

WOW!

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2807766246011?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=280776624601&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Listed for $594 in Germany. I gotta admit that is a rare find. I have one and it was very hard for me to get it.

Pastfinder-1.jpg

no kidding! price is beyond belief! I have 5 pastfinders myself (one boxed) and didn't pay that for all of them combined!!! not even half! ..but not as good as $5.50 each :grin:

Ok I just found out seller shipped it to me today. Yay. Yes I got real lucky!

I think it was the fact he did not add "800' or "XL/XE" to it that it slipped by. I periodically do a search for "pastfinder" as I am looking for the Commodore 64 version and this one popped up! I just missed one a few days ago for the 64 for a measly $25!! UGH. Can't win them all I am told!

Edited by tjlazer

• 5 months later...

I believe rarity is correct since HES version is much harder to find then activision one.

So, which has the higher rarity? I always assumed it was HES, based on Atarimania's info and the fact that it wasn't released in the U.S.

• 1 month later...