IGNORED

Most overrated games in your opinion

Animan

Mine is Jet Grind/Set Radio on the Dreamcast. Great visual style, but the gameplay sucks. It's so hard to control and just ends up being frustrating. I don't like the inertia, and I don't like the wide turning radius. Take that away and it wouldn't be a skating game anymore, but that would be fine with me. Sucks because everyone touts this as one of the greatest games on the dreamcast, so it ought to be awesome. But it's not.

Is PS2 old enough to be classic yet? I remember when State of Emergency was released how hyped it was and how I was ready to throw my controller out the window after the first 5 minutes. Talk about overrated. Dead Rising was almost as bad, except there were zombies and you can never go completely wrong as long as you have zombies in your game. :D

Edited by OldAtarian

Mine is Jet Grind/Set Radio on the Dreamcast. Great visual style, but the gameplay sucks. It's so hard to control and just ends up being frustrating. I don't like the inertia, and I don't like the wide turning radius. Take that away and it wouldn't be a skating game anymore, but that would be fine with me. Sucks because everyone touts this as one of the greatest games on the dreamcast, so it ought to be awesome. But it's not.

Seconded. I too was extremely disappointed after all the hype and glowing reviews.

I would agreee that NFS 2 was a bit of a letdown, nice tracks though. And underground....Ugg, wtf? And those are the ones everybody raves about, and seriously, as I said, for me it's the cops, which underground does not have.

I am going to switch it up a little and post a few games I think didn't get hyped enough:

M.U.L.E. for the Atari 8-bits (maybe the best game ever)

Hell yeah, while I had it on the C=64 (and later, NES) this game is probably one of the most amazing games from the era to me, and almost NOBODY even knew of it's existence. Hell, even we had a hacked copy of the game, I still have yet to see a legit production copy of the thing.

I don't know how it worked on Atari, and the mode is missing on the NES, but on the C64, I liked to play the infinite mode where you played until one person owned the planet. The 12 month mode isn't bad, but it seems you're just getting into the swing when the ship comes back.

Sadly C64 had no 4 player mode like Atari, that is what made it fun!

I have to agree. 4 player mode with people who knew how to do collusion really drove up the scores. If you got the store fire at just the right times, 255 for everything is not unheard of.

Are you guys sure? I' pretty sure we've played it four player before. Yeah, two of you have to use the keybaord, and the first player (for whatever reason has to use the joystick) but I am pretty sure we've played it before. (but then, as I said, we had the hack, could have been added)

Is PS2 old enough to be classic yet?

How old something is has little to do with whether it's "classic" or not. Not every old game or game system (or film, book, piece of music, etc) is a "classic." In my opinion, whether it's a game or a piece of hardware, it has to be a groundbreaker in some important technical or creative way to be legitimately called a classic.

• Like 1

I would agreee that NFS 2 was a bit of a letdown, nice tracks though. And underground....Ugg, wtf? And those are the ones everybody raves about, and seriously, as I said, for me it's the cops, which underground does not have.

I am going to switch it up a little and post a few games I think didn't get hyped enough:

Hell yeah, while I had it on the C=64 (and later, NES) this game is probably one of the most amazing games from the era to me, and almost NOBODY even knew of it's existence. Hell, even we had a hacked copy of the game, I still have yet to see a legit production copy of the thing.

I don't know how it worked on Atari, and the mode is missing on the NES, but on the C64, I liked to play the infinite mode where you played until one person owned the planet. The 12 month mode isn't bad, but it seems you're just getting into the swing when the ship comes back.

I have to agree. 4 player mode with people who knew how to do collusion really drove up the scores. If you got the store fire at just the right times, 255 for everything is not unheard of.

Yeah, sure miss those early 8bit days.. :sad:

I'm not overly impressed by Tengen Tetris. Yes, it's different than the Nintendo version, but I'm not sold on it being better, per se (though I only care about the 1-player mode). It has a good story behind it, but I think a lot of people piss all over the Nintendo version just because it gives them something about which they can be smug.

I'm not overly impressed by Tengen Tetris. Yes, it's different than the Nintendo version, but I'm not sold on it being better, per se (though I only care about the 1-player mode). It has a good story behind it, but I think a lot of people piss all over the Nintendo version just because it gives them something about which they can be smug.

The one thing Tengen Tetris had that the Nintendo Tetris for the same system did not have was two-player gaming. It may not matter much for single players, but for those hoping to play Tetris against each other, they either had to get a Gameboy with its version of Tetris or wait until another 2-player console version of the game was released. The lack of two-player capability is what made Nintendo Tetris seem like it was second-rate in comparison to the Tengen Tetris.

Edited by Vic George 2K3

The one thing Tengen Tetris had that the Nintendo Tetris for the same system did not have was two-player gaming. It may not matter much for single players, but for those hoping to play Tetris against each other,

To be fair though.. the 2 player Tetris in the Tengen version is less "against each other", and more "playing simultaneously" :P

Are you guys sure? I' pretty sure we've played it four player before. Yeah, two of you have to use the keybaord, and the first player (for whatever reason has to use the joystick) but I am pretty sure we've played it before. (but then, as I said, we had the hack, could have been added)

You can absolutely play the C64 version of M.U.L.E. with four players, two joystick and two keyboard. My friends and I spent countless hours doing it in the 80s. With a legit copy... was one of the first things I bought when I got a C64. While it unfortunately didn't have huge sales numbers, it definitely wasn't almost unknown at the time as someone said... I knew I wanted it from magazine ads and reviews.

Edited by pinball22

Since GameFan closed down almost every game is overhyped. Sure, the gamers buy mags but the advertisers pay the bills. No one is willing to give an honest review anymore. Kane & Lynch anyone?

That being said any Final Fantasy game from 7 on up qualifies. 12 had a passable battle system but, meh.

Anything below NES was either pure advertising or fairly honest reviews. As far as I remember as a kid.

Edited by theloon

The other game is Donkey Kong for the arcade. I mean the game is good, but because of the King of Kong movie, it has dwarfed all other arcade games.

Indeed. Didn't they even set up special rules just for that game, too?

Edited by Animan

You can absolutely play the C64 version of M.U.L.E. with four players, two joystick and two keyboard. My friends and I spent countless hours doing it in the 80s. With a legit copy... was one of the first things I bought when I got a C64. While it unfortunately didn't have huge sales numbers, it definitely wasn't almost unknown at the time as someone said... I knew I wanted it from magazine ads and reviews.

Awesome, glad to know I'm not just looped or whatever. And I was the one that said it was unknown, but I meant in my area. Of course, computers in general weren't all that popular here, unless you had a business. Believe it or not, our first C=64 was bought as a business computer, not as a game computer. It just happened to play games.

4 player is really meant for the Atari 800 where you can all use sticks. You can use the keyboard in other instances, but it really doesn't do it justice.

You SMB haters are crazy...:P

Just kidding, to each his own. ;)

I think Pitfall! is overrated - it's a good game, with some hidden depth, but it ain't as great as it's made out to be.

On the NES, I'll say River City Ransom - the RPG elements are way overblown, the graphics are lame, and the combat is repetitive.

Overrated games? I think the Mario games are the kings of all overrated games. If I had to single out two games, I'd choose Mario 3 and Mario 64. Fandom is always saying that Mario 3 changed platformers forever, but nothing outside the Mario series has ever used the things that Mario 3 does differently from any other platformer. I'd say that Mario 3 didn't even do the game right, and it wasn't until Super Mario World (and battery backup) that the formula was even playable. As for Mario 64, fandom proclaimed it the greatest game of all time before anyone had ever played it. That's the epitome of overrated.

Moving away from those, and into other realms...

For some time I've felt that Disgaea is immensely overrated. The way the gaming press touted it, Disgaea is the greatest tactical RPG ever conceived by god or man. However, I think it's a rather poor example of the genre. It's basically just a poorly balanced grindathon with uninspired content. I guess some people just go ga-ga over penguins or something.

BlazBlue is a game I think got a lot more credit than it deserves. When you get right down to it, the game is a bare bones fighter with a limited number of low color pixely characters. The backgrounds could be done on a PS1. The story mode is a bunch of stupid still screens. Outside of the voice acting (which was impressive), this title was cut rate in every way. Even the alternate character colors were pay DLC. Not a game I'd have anywhere near the top of the fighting game ranking.

Ikaruga is probably the most overrated shooter of all time. I tried to convince myself it was good for a long time, but it's just crap.

This is one of those things that is really to each their own. I can fully understand why some people like these games, but I sure as heck don't.

* Any Sonic title - Only two exceptions, Sonic Pocket Color for the NGPC and Sonic Adventure for the Dreamcast / GameCube. I have forever tried to play the Sonic titles, liking the speed that they have, but I get frustrated because the speed equates to crappy gameplay (IMO) that I can't get over. To me, Zool 2 for the Atari Jaguar did speed a million times better than any Sonic title ever has.

* Any 3D Mario game - I've really tried to like Mario 64. I've played it a few times for a few hours at a crack, I have played it on the DS. Nothing. Same with Mario Sunshine. I don't like 3D platformers in general, but I just find these to be really dull. Luigi's Mansion is excepted, that game is great.

* To go along with my dislike of 3D platformers, any Crash Bandicoot game, any Spyro game.

* Grand Theft Auto - Any game, I have played just about them all, I like the concept, but I always find myself thinking while driving "this isn't as good as [insert driving game name here], why don't I play that." While doing some mission, it's the same thing just with other games inserted. And, I am not a fan of really long games.

* The whole Final Fantasy series - I have tried to play FF1 through like 10 times and apparently I've gone more than 2/3rds of the way and I just can't stand it. I've tried some others on and off, and I just don't get it. Any of them.

* Super Mario World - I mean, it's okay, but Super Mario 3 was SO much better than it was. It was SO disappointing to me when I finally played it. Thankfully, Donkey Kong Country filled exactly what I wanted.

* Halo series (excluding Halo Wars) - I wish I liked these games, I really do. I love the world (I've read all the books), I just don't like these games as FPS titles.

* The Zelda series excluding the first one and the first Game Boy one - I don't know what it is, I get tricked by these every time it seems. I buy them all, and I buy them all nearly brand new. I wait to play them so I can focus on them since I like to do story games as a whole. I start them and cannot get more than two hours into any of them without giving up in sheer boredom. Don't know why. Again, a series I wish I liked more. And I only like the first from nostalgia I think.

* Mario Kart 64 - I'm sorry, the AI cheats. Badly. And it drives me nuts. And, it took out a bunch of the stuff I loved about the SNES game (like feathers and cool shortcuts and whatnot) and replaced them with horrid AI.

... wow, I didn't realize I was so disappointed in so many popular games. I generally find more to like than dislike about the games that I play, I'm actually surprised I could rattle off this many I have issues with.