IGNORED

Most overrated games in your opinion

Animan

I really think it's a matter of taste.Overrated implies that the games are not as good as they are said to be.I think games that "you" find in your opinion, are "not" good as folks say they are, or can't see why so many like it, would be more fitting, for me anyway.These games for me would be River Raid, Yar's Revenge, and Dragonfire.I don't think of course these are lack for a better term "crappy", they just never held my interest.Dragonfire is damn cool and looks great, but i find it's repetitive as heck.After about 3-4 waves, i lose interest and put in the next game.Imagic Atlantis is another one i never played for more than 10-20 minutes.Great graphics and concept, but the firing system and placement of guns is strange to me

Edited by Rik

Here's another vote for all the Super Mario games, i just can't stand them. Way overrated and no fun at all IMO.

Mario is indeed a strange character... An italian plumber with an ugly mustache? WTF?

Nintendo should have come up with a character players can at least identify with.

Like an emo kid with black hair smoking a cigarette? (Devil May Cray 5 is going to suck)

As I cant agree with anyone claiming Mario, Kirby, or Megaman games being over-rated, having played Super Mario Bros. 3, Kirby's Adventure, and Megaman 2 as a child, and beating them.. and being completely in love. And its not just fan-boy-ism, I started playing Atari when it was young.. when I was young, 4 years to be exact, and you know what games were my favorite for the VCS? Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., and Mario Bros. That was before I ever heard of an NES, and I didn't correlate games to their brands when I was 4, I just thoroughly enjoyed them.

But I can completely agree with;

CALL OF DUTY. (and 90% of todays shooters) Same game different gimmick is good wording. All brown and grey. Main characters all look the same. Show me a screen shot of Killzone, Call of Duty (any of them) or Medal of Honor, and I could not tell you which is which..

Edited by jeremysart

Pitfall, absolutely. The game is undoubtedly historically significant to the video game world, but it's just not all that fun to play.

Dr. Mario. Maybe this game isn't critically acclaimed enough to even be eligible for over-rated-ness but I personally know many people who look back at it very fondly. I didn't get it back then, and I don't get it now. Klax is a far superior Tetris-inspired puzzler IMO.

In modern gaming, Uncharted 2 on PS3. In fact, in my opinion, this might just be the most overrated game I've ever seen. It's just a bunch of flashy graphics and cut-scenes attempting to hide that the gameplay experience is arguably more linear than a 2D platformer. I'm playing it right now, I'm about 80% done, and I just can't wait for it to end.

Dr. Mario. Maybe this game isn't critically acclaimed enough to even be eligible for over-rated-ness but I personally know many people who look back at it very fondly. I didn't get it back then, and I don't get it now. Klax is a far superior Tetris-inspired puzzler IMO.

I'm amazed at how many people I know who aren't really into video games but who really love Dr. Mario. It seems to be especially popular with old people; I've got two grandparents and other older relatives who love it.

Looking back with fondness right away excludes rationality. I love Dr. Mario, but I do have fond memories of playing it as a kid. Never was into puzzlers.

I'm amazed at how many people I know who aren't really into video games but who really love Dr. Mario. It seems to be especially popular with old people; I've got two grandparents and other older relatives who love it.

:( Crap. *hobbles away on walker with Dr. Mario decal*

:lol:

I have to also completely agree with Final Fantasy 7 being over-rated. But I think that's another one touched by fondness as for quite a few people that was the first Final Fantasy they ever played, so I can give them that if they don't push it. Still, if they tell me they've only played Final Fantasy 7 and up, I do suggest they at least give 6 a try.

I was never a big fan of Dr. Mario, but for some reason I find Dr. Hello, the Korean SMS bootleg version, quite addictive! Maybe it's that the tunes are better on Dr. Hello?

Oh, and to answer the question: Sonic the Hedgehog. Never been able to get into that series, except for the Game Gear version of Sonic 1 or 2 (can't remember) which I played a bit as a teenager. The mechanics have never felt intuitive to me, and I dislike the feeling that I'm constantly being pushed to blow through an entire level at high speed -- it feels superficial and jacked-up.

I also agree that River Raid is somewhat overrated.

Edited by thegoldenband

:( Crap. *hobbles away on walker with Dr. Mario decal*

:lol:

Ouch! That was worded a little harshly, wasn't it? Apologies if I offended anyone; that's what I get for writing in a hurry. It's just interesting to me that this particular game seems to be so appealing to people who otherwise never play games.

Ouch! That was worded a little harshly, wasn't it? Apologies if I offended anyone; that's what I get for writing in a hurry. It's just interesting to me that this particular game seems to be so appealing to people who otherwise never play games.

No no, don't worry. I was only joking around. It is interesting actually. Besides, I came to grips with liking the same games my mom likes a couple of years ago. :D

Ikaruga is probably the most overrated shooter of all time. I tried to convince myself it was good for a long time, but it's just crap.

I am in FULL agreement here…

Ikaruga is terribly overrated - it sickens me that every review of a shooter has to plug Ikaruga in it and proceed to say that whatever is not as 'good' as Ikaruga…

I don't know if it is because Treasure made it, the art style, or the polarity gimmick, but Ikaruga is NOT the end all, be all shooter of the modern era… Futari and DOJ Black Label are leagues better! and let's not forget Ketsui…

Futari and DOJ Black Label are leagues better! and let's not forget Ketsui…

Anyone comparing Cave-style bullet-hell shooters to something like Ikaruga is immediately in the wrong, I am sorry. These are two styles of shmups that revolve around completely different gameplay concepts, and the lack of thought here is akin to someone trying to argue why the F-Zero series is better than whatever the latest F1 game is that's on the market. Two different cups of tea, two different ballparks, and what's the most disheartening about it is that this train of thought is rampant within the shmup community. Remember that in this particular situation (And to many others I have seen posted in this thread), it's a matter of taste or preference, and it should be noted exactly as so.

Dynamite Headdy for me, lowest score on Gamefaqs is 9/10. I can remember magazines of the time raving about it.

Technically it's awesome, graphically great, sound is also good definitely original.

But it's just not FUN to play give me Sonic any day of the week!

It's one of those games I should like, but sorry just don't see what the fuss is all about.

Thankfully Videogame critic agrees ! Only person Ive come across who does.

Dynamite Headdy for me, lowest score on Gamefaqs is 9/10. I can remember magazines of the time raving about it.

Technically it's awesome, graphically great, sound is also good definitely original.

But it's just not FUN to play give me Sonic any day of the week!

It's one of those games I should like, but sorry just don't see what the fuss is all about.

Thankfully Videogame critic agrees ! Only person Ive come across who does.

I agree with you on this one. I ascribe it's popularity to the Treasure factor. Just about anything Treasure is praised to the heavens.

May I get kicked in the balls by every little kid out there? Oh HELL YEAH.

One word.

Pokemon.

I'm not that into RPG games, but there are a few I like....this is not one of them. I've played various versions of the game, and it's a glorified Rock Paper Scissors engine, with some RPG ish elements thrown in. The newer ones are marginally better, but back in the high point of it's life, while I could play it, I just never saw what was so damn awesome about it.

• Like 2

The Super Mario Series.

Super Mario Bros, for NES, eh , it was good.

Super Mario Bros 2 (JP) HOLY MOTHER OF LORD GREATEST GAME EVER,(Exaggeration) PERFECT! I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE IT!

Super Mario Bros 2 (US) ... Wow...

Super Marios Bros 3 Eh, fine, not anything new though, minus the new 'suits'

Go ahead, call me a Sega Fanboy, I do enjoy the NES more than any other of my classic systems though.

I got to disagree with a lot of the things you posted, save2600. Whatever you are smoking, I want some if it. :P :lol:

Just the occasional Gambler Cigar :)

post-13896-128734130332_thumb.jpg

...and yeah, I know a lot of people will disagree with that list - but I never claimed to have totally understood just what makes the mainstream tick. Lot's of mysteries abound why people and things are the way they are. :lol:

The fact that Football is sooooooo popular is another one of those infernal mysteries to me. I just don't get it. The sport is comprised primarily of overpaid, over-excercised, over-sized African-Americans running around a field playing catch and tackling each other. Managed by overpaid aging white guys with bad tempers that seem to still be stuck at a high school level emotionally. Same exact phenomenon with Basketball. Yet, people never seem to run out of word vomit talking about these sports all_day_long. And then it's everywhere when you go out: ESPN blaring at you. Guys in suits this time, pretending they're real news anchors or something, talking about a bunch of nonsensical stats and recapping ALL of the silliness you might have missed or don't care about. :rolling:

There are still white guys in football. They're called quarterbacks. And kickers. LOL

Just kidding my African-American friends. Just kidding. I know there are plenty of great african-american

quarterbacks but only one has won a super bowl and that was Doug Williams with the Washington Redskins.

For me it's definitely Earthworm Jim. I totally struggled with the game and most of the time I can pick up a game and get good at it in a short matter of time unless it's something that other people seemed to hate when I look it up on youtube to see if anyone else has problems like I do with it.

I also thought Comix Zone for Genesis was a bit overrated; I found Ecco the Dolphin to just be a tedious maze; I don't understand why the original Battletoads gets so much praise even though it's insanely difficult. The first few levels are fun but after that it becomes a nightmare. Doesn't matter if you're playing the NES, SMS, or Genesis version. It's still crazy.