IGNORED

Holy cow

Chris++

This was done without the intact-bridge cheat (which I don't use anyway, as it's not as much fun) or the late-timer glitch. I've been playing this game since 1982, in spite of how awful it can be when the ol' VCS blinking applies, and I've never gotten such a low time. So of course, I had to post it. :D

post-1434-128751741326_thumb.png

(The randomized configuration was the one that starts out with the blue Kryptonite alone on the jail screen, three bad guys on the screen to the west + south from the jail, and most of the rest to the south + east.)

This was done without the intact-bridge cheat (which I don't use anyway, as it's not as much fun) or the late-timer glitch. I've been playing this game since 1982, in spite of how awful it can be when the ol' VCS blinking applies, and I've never gotten such a low time. So of course, I had to post it. :D

post-1434-128751741326_thumb.png

(The randomized configuration was the one that starts out with the blue Kryptonite alone on the jail screen, three bad guys on the screen to the west + south from the jail, and most of the rest to the south + east.)

Well played.....yes that game is one of the flickerist flicks that ever flicked

I can understand that. I'm not sure I'd currently have the patience to get accustomed to the game's quirks if I hadn't developed an affinity for it as a kid.

Thanks, Scogey; whereabouts in Michigan? I spent a year on the Upper Peninsula, then had to return to New Mexico to thaw out. :)

I can understand that. I'm not sure I'd currently have the patience to get accustomed to the game's quirks if I hadn't developed an affinity for it as a kid.

Thanks, Scogey; whereabouts in Michigan? I spent a year on the Upper Peninsula, then had to return to New Mexico to thaw out. :)

We're 30 miles north of Detroit.....I was in da U.P. in August yah

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I've played the heck out of this game over the years- it's one of my faves- and my best times are 1:12 with the bridge cheat and 1:21 without. I thought I was pretty hot stuff.

[falls to knees]

Master!

Yeah, I'd played for years as well, and I think my best time was 1:11. (You know, there's always that damn extra second that ticks by after you've made it into the Daily Planet.) We're probably equal in skill in that game; it was one of those lucky things, when all of the bad guys wound up near the jail! I was thinking: Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Yeah, I'd played for years as well, and I think my best time was 1:11. (You know, there's always that damn extra second that ticks by after you've made it into the Daily Planet.) We're probably equal in skill in that game; it was one of those lucky things, when all of the bad guys wound up near the jail! I was thinking: Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

To this day I still laugh because when I got the cartidge as a kid my first game was well over an hour. Granted, I always approached a new game with "play first, read instructions later" attitude. I don't know what it is about the gameplay that's so addictive; I was never a huge fan of Superman the character- the storyline could have been anything- it's just fun. You're right, it sounds like we're both on about the same level. I'll start the game by going to the jail first and seeing if there's anyone I can pick up and dump inside. If not, I'll work on the bridge. Once in a great while there's that awesome setup where almost all of the crooks are within a screen or two of the jail, and it's just a matter of gathering 'em up. It *did* take me a long time to realize that the fastest way back to the Daily Planet was to enter the subway and immediately go left. (Going right certainly runs up the game timer!)

• 2 weeks later...

You can tell I've gotten a bit re-obsessed with this game! I've never won in under a minute before, so this definitely upgrades the thread subject to "Holy Shit."

Incidentally, does anyone know how many possible starting configurations there are? I'm only aware of three; but I suppose it's not as significant as in, say, Adventure, since Lex and the bad guys all seem to move literally randomly after their brief, initial starting points.

post-1434-128947930518_thumb.png

You can tell I've gotten a bit re-obsessed with this game! I've never won in under a minute before, so this definitely upgrades the thread subject to "Holy Shit."

Incidentally, does anyone know how many possible starting configurations there are? I'm only aware of three; but I suppose it's not as significant as in, say, Adventure, since Lex and the bad guys all seem to move literally randomly after their brief, initial starting points.

Nice! Way to go! That's a world-class time.

To be honest, I never paid any attention to starting configurations. What are the three that you're aware of?

I haven't played the game in a long time, but the only sort of pattern that I remember is that if you immediately head to the jail via a specific route (which I've long forgotten) when the game starts you will encounter one of the criminals in the exact same spot 90% of the time. You don't have to go out of your way at all to grab him.

IMO, Superman is the most underrated 2600 game. It's amazing that a game of this complexity(relatively) was released in 1979.

The last time I got obsessed with this game the flicker began to mess with my mind. Seriously. I had to quit playing it. Are you having any problems with it?

57???????....Congrats.....wait.....did you fly the opposite way of the earth's rotation to lower your time? :roll:

Thanks...it just goes to show that the odds of a lower time increase if you play the game far too much! :) (I'm like the monkeys with the typewriters. Or something.)

I'm getting the three-configuration guess from the Kryptonite satellites around/on the jail screen when the game starts. I usually fly upward from the bridge screen, and then immediately back down, which doesn't lead back to the bridge like it "should," but rather to one of the bridge pieces -- one screen up and left of the jail. I drop the piece in front of the jail, so that I can keep an eye on it while I'm collecting the others, as I'll obviously be returning to the jail frequently. On this first visit to the jail, there's either a single blue satellite, a single brown one, or both.

Once in a long while, there's nothing there at all; but I believe that this is just one of the other set-ups, with the satellite having moved in a different direction than normal, because the initial bad guys I usually collect before rounding up the other two bridge pieces -- one screen DOWN and to the left of the jail -- are positioned the same as in one of the other configurations.

(Nice first-Superman-movie reference, Scogey!)

Forgot to mention -- yessir, I'm a LOT less tolerant about the flickering than when I first played the game as a kid. My emulation stuff is all on a laptop; it's possible that the flat screen, with its modern rendering method (vs. scan lines), makes some kind of difference. I often hear, but don't see, the Kryptonite. When I hear that "bongggggg" collision sound, I usually impulsively hit reset!

I just got this and I am curious as to how to play...I will consult the manual on here!

One thing that I take for granted on new games is the background story cinema, the online help available in the game, a pause button etc!

Wish me luck! Just got my Atari 2600 "heavy sixer" working!

Unholy Heifer! Nice score!