IGNORED

Jaguar Doom vs Doom 64

GKC

Anyone played both of these games? IIRC Doom 64 is an exclusive game for the N64 where as Doom for Jaguar was a port. How does the Jaguar Doom hold up against the Doom 64 (despite being different they are still Doom :P )? I have never played Doom 64 and it's been a long time since I've played Doom (never played it on the Jaguar at all) but I've heard that Doom for Jag was one of the best ports. Just curious how it holds up against Doom 64. Or are they just too much different to compare?

Thanks.

Edited by GKC

They really are too different to compare. Doom64 is a Doom game but I wouldn't say it goes along with Doom/DoomII/Final Doom (if you even count the third one among the first two) as it is very different. It is an experience all its own and they really both stand on their own. The bottom line, as good as Doom64 is, the original Doom experience is irreplaceable and the Jag received one of the best console ports produced.

Doom64:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0IEue_z5SA

Jaguar Doom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD_A7m0ueqE

The bottom line, as good as Doom64 is, the original Doom experience is irreplaceable and the Jag received one of the best console ports produced.

Surely the different level maps are the primary difference in Doom64. What I'd like to know is how both Doom64 and JagDoom compare to Playstation Doom, which definitely has to be up near the top of console ports of Doom. Everyone used to compare JagDoom to 32xDoom, which was lame.

Surely the different level maps are the primary difference in Doom64.

The visuals have been completely reworked to play on the strengths of the [then-new] hardware. Some of the lighting effects especially awesome, particularly for a DOOM engine game. The new analog controls also work to its advantage.

What I'd like to know is how both Doom64 and JagDoom compare to Playstation Doom, which definitely has to be up near the top of console ports of Doom. Everyone used to compare JagDoom to 32xDoom, which was lame.

Both versions excel in their own right, and what you're in the mood for is the version that is right for you. The Jaguar game has better visuals that aren't grainy like the PSX game, and it also includes the original PC sounds. The PlayStation version has well over double the amount of stages though (Ultimate DOOM and DOOM II are included), and it has new lighting effects. Being able to strafe proper works wonders, too. The Jaguar game has no music, but the PSX version only has ambience in the background.

there's no comparing the two games really. Actually, DOOM 64 is an outright fantastic game, and probably the best Doom game you can get in my estimation. I'm no expert on the programming aspect of games, and while Jag Doom is a nice port of the PC game (although missing enemies), DOOM 64 really completely revamped the franchise, with all new levels, undeniably better visuals than any of its contemporaries, the inclusion of all enemies across all the sequels, and even a couple of new weapons.

I think DOOM 64 was the best iteration of old school DOOM that you could play. It's one of my favorite games ever, and one of a very small group of N64 games that justify me keeping the system in my home. I'll say there is no 'VS.' between these two games, DOOM 64 is clearly superior in any technological category you could come up with, and a great game in its own right.

He said revamped, not reinvigorated... it was a complete revamp & gamer memory doesn't figure into that.

Now I've never played the jaguar port of Doom, but the two games really are too different to compare this way. One is Doom... the other is Doom 64. It'd be like asking how Super Mario Bros 3 "holds up against" Super Mario Galaxy. They're both great, they're both different games too.

I remember playing Doom64 back in the 90s and loving it. I don't have it in my collection, anymore!

I do remember that the stock controller wasn't as good for strafing (left shoulder button inaccessible when your hand is on the middle tit, working the analog stick. There was an off-brand controller that was styled more like the Gamecube (rough comparison, mind you) that put the analog stick in its proper place on the left, so you could hit the shoulder button. I'm gonna want another, if I knew what to search for!

Can't beat a couple stock N64 controllers for Robotron, though.

I think comparing the difference between Super Mario Brothers and Super Mario Sunshine to that of Doom and Doom64 is beyond a bit of a stretch, good as Doom64 is.

Totally different games, both are fantastic. :) If I had to complain about one thing for each, it would be that Jag Doom could control better and Doom 64 is too dark even with the lighting setting all the way up.

I figured that may be the case but I hadn't played Doom 64 myself and I was curious. I really need to get the Jag Doom. Actually there are a lot of games I need to get for the Jag. :)

Thanks for everyone's replies.

He said revamped, not reinvigorated... it was a complete revamp & gamer memory doesn't figure into that.

Now I've never played the jaguar port of Doom, but the two games really are too different to compare this way. One is Doom... the other is Doom 64. It'd be like asking how Super Mario Bros 3 "holds up against" Super Mario Galaxy. They're both great, they're both different games too.

Obviously the word 'contemporaries' didn't help put my comment in context either. But don't fret, there's someone even dumber than Zylonbane, the person who gave him rep points. Come forth silent rogue, and collect thy prize.

• Like 4

of course its not "nothing like doom", but its obviously different than the original version in terms of graphic style, level design, monster design, gun design etc. all the other home ports are based almost directly off the pc version.

Edited by kevincal

I do remember that the stock controller wasn't as good for strafing (left shoulder button inaccessible when your hand is on the middle tit, working the analog stick. There was an off-brand controller that was styled more like the Gamecube (rough comparison, mind you) that put the analog stick in its proper place on the left, so you could hit the shoulder button. I'm gonna want another, if I knew what to search for!

A solution you might consider in lieu of finding a swanky controller like the SuperPad is that the controls in Doom 64 are fully customizable. You can remap basically every function, for instance binding 'strafe left' to the z-button for analog control-related joy.

Personally, I'm more fond of Jag Doom than Doom 64 but that has more to do with an overall preference for the original. Doom 64 is cool, but I find the level design to be muddled at times and unpleasantly puzzling (but I may just be a jellybrain). Jag Doom is arguably the best/most complete console port of Doom pre-PSX, but even then it's contending with a couple distinct handicaps - no in-game music and an incomplete enemy roster, two things which I think definitely disappoint with this port. You lose a lot of tension without the upper tier boss monsters lurking later in the game. About the missing soundtrack, the really frustrating thing is that music plays between stages, and it sounds pretty solid. I can only imagine it was a programming obstacle to get sound effects and music working simultaneously without error, one need only look as far as Iron Soldier to see that some Jaguar developers were having problems coordinating the two. Then again, maybe it was deliberate. After all, Doom 64 similarly opts for that atmospheric, largely tuneless soundscape and the same is true for PSX Doom.

A solution you might consider in lieu of finding a swanky controller like the SuperPad is that the controls in Doom 64 are fully customizable. You can remap basically every function, for instance binding 'strafe left' to the z-button for analog control-related joy.

THANK YOU!!! That is the controller I used to have! I wonder what it would take to find a good one in the modern world?

Speaking of which, assuming you have the American DOOM64 rom file, you can extract the WAD file from it with the tools that come with this DOOM64 EX and play it windows with the supplied executable. This is not an emulator.

Project page.

http://doom64ex.sourceforge.net/

Up to Date SVN builds.

http://gccdoom64ex.codeplex.com/

Speaking of which, assuming you have the American DOOM64 rom file, you can extract the WAD file from it with the tools that come with this DOOM64 EX and play it windows with the supplied executable. This is not an emulator.

Project page.

http://doom64ex.sourceforge.net/

Up to Date SVN builds.

http://gccdoom64ex.codeplex.com/

Really? Holy ****. I am going to check that out. :D