IGNORED

Jaguar Doom vs Doom 64

GKC

Actually I would have to say XBOX Doom is the best port, PlayStation 2nd, Jag 3rd. ;) Then Saturn, 3DO, 32X, SNES.

Doom 64 is on it's own because it's nothing like the original Doom.

I just played Doom on 3DO and it's not that good, if there is too much action, the game slows down big time. I do have the 32X and it plays very nice.

I wish I could try the Jaguar version to compare.

Actually I would have to say XBOX Doom is the best port, PlayStation 2nd, Jag 3rd. ;) Then Saturn, 3DO, 32X, SNES.

I just played Doom on 3DO and it's not that good, if there is too much action, the game slows down big time. I do have the 32X and it plays very nice.

Not tryint to rub it in but I just picked up a copy. Not only will it be the first time playing Doom on the Jag but the first time playing Doom period in a long long time. :thumbsup:

DOOM on the 3DO was in fact the worst "official" port ever written. Just stand still and spin in circles to see what I mean. :)

The Sega 32X port stripped down the sprites to make the game run smooth. Ever notice how the enemies always seem to be facing you? :)

Also, not all the levels are exactly as they were on the Computer versions. They made a few changes to deal with the RAM limitation of consoles.

DOOM64 of course is an entirely new incarnation of DOOM with a slew of new features that I could not even begin to list.

DOOM on the XBOX was included DOOM III as extra content, though there are three homebrew ports available as well. The port packed in DOOM III is the first port of DOOM to a console that featured the original PC levels. I believe the iPod port also features the original PC levels, though they added a new chapter to DOOM II!!! :)

On the PC, you can now edit levels with the greatest of Ease using DOOM Builder 2:

http://www.doombuilder.com/

And there are a ton of amazing source ports which do anything from simply correct the bugs in the original source and improve upon the networking code on up to adding 3D models, floors, advanced scripting, lighting, hi-res textures, etc. etc. etc.

I.E. DOOM 64 Abosolution and it's expansion packs:

http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/abs-about.html

Or just keep an eye on these sites:

http://www.doomworld.com

http://grafzahl.drdteam.org/

http://prboom.sourceforge.net/

http://odamex.net/

and so on...

http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/ports/

I personally prefer PrBOOM (which has been ported to a number of consoles)

and

GzDOOM (very very advanced engine combining elements from DOOM Legacy into ZDOOM and Skull Tag.

post-22880-128815193953_thumb.jpg

post-22880-128815194646_thumb.jpg

Edited by Syfo-Dyas

Or just keep an eye on these sites:

http://www.doomworld.com

http://grafzahl.drdteam.org/

http://prboom.sourceforge.net/

http://odamex.net/

and so on...

http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/ports/

I personally prefer PrBOOM (which has been ported to a number of consoles)

and

GzDOOM (very very advanced engine combining elements from DOOM Legacy into ZDOOM and Skull Tag.

Excellent list. Thanks for including Odamex. ;)

Not tryint to rub it in but I just picked up a copy. Not only will it be the first time playing Doom on the Jag but the first time playing Doom period in a long long time. :thumbsup:

I just picked up Doom for Jag from AtariAge marketplace, I'm waiting patiently.....

Doom on the 3DO is not that good, but it's not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be... Yes the framerate is not good with the larger screen, but if you shrink it down it becomes acceptable and playable. Besides the framerate though, the graphics in 3DO Doom are actually very sharp, very nice resolution, better than all of the other versions infact. Maybe this was the mistake the developers made? I'm no coder but I think maybe it's possible they ran too high of a resolution which caused the framerate problems. Also in 3DO Doom you can see all sides of the enemies and it has more levels than the 32X and SNES versions. Also the 3DO version has the best music of them all. So the 3DO version has some things going for it, just don't try to play it full screen.. But oh ya, the control isn't that great in the 3DO version, but I can manhandle it.

DOOM on the 3DO was in fact the worst "official" port ever written. Just stand still and spin in circles to see what I mean. :)

I still say 3DO Doom is better overall than the 32X or SNES versions. Not so great framerate and controls, but everything else about it is better.

Edited by kevincal

Doom on the 3DO is not that good, but it's not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be... Yes the framerate is not good with the larger screen, but if you shrink it down it becomes acceptable and playable. Besides the framerate though, the graphics in 3DO Doom are actually very sharp, very nice resolution, better than all of the other versions infact. Maybe this was the mistake the developers made? I'm no coder but I think maybe it's possible they ran too high of a resolution which caused the framerate problems. Also in 3DO Doom you can see all sides of the enemies and it has more levels than the 32X and SNES versions. Also the 3DO version has the best music of them all. So the 3DO version has some things going for it, just don't try to play it full screen.. But oh ya, the control isn't that great in the 3DO version, but I can manhandle it.

I still say 3DO Doom is better overall than the 32X or SNES versions. Not so great framerate and controls, but everything else about it is better.

Oh man!! I totally forgot about the Super Nintendo incarnation. Alright I take back my word, the 3DO port wasn't the worst port out there, the SNES one was...

...unless DOOM got ported to a grey scale pocket watch without me knowing it. :)

Oh man!! I totally forgot about the Super Nintendo incarnation. Alright I take back my word, the 3DO port wasn't the worst port out there, the SNES one was...

...unless DOOM got ported to a grey scale pocket watch without me knowing it. :)

I wasn't much into computers back in the day but I was a huge Nintendo fanboy. That being said SNES was my first and probably only experience with Doom. I remember enjoying it on the SNES. Then again that's easy when there is nothiiing to compare it to.

He he, I remember having a 386 B&W laptop which could barely play DOOM. In desperation I rented the SNES version and was like,"there is no way". I then got my tax return and purchased a SONY PSX just to play DOOM, which despite my loathing for this game console, I must say that they had one of the best versions of DOOM EVER!

Needless to say, as soon as I got a PC fast enough to run DOOM, I sold the PSX without haste.

Man I miss those days though, sitting in the dark in front of my Commodore 1084s monitor, all the lights out, huge head phones on to block out all sound,playing PSX DOOM, and jumping out of my seat every time a Demon snuck up on me...

Wait, what am I talking about, I still do this, only not on a PSX! ;)

Doom on the PS is great. My first experience with Doom was watching my buddy play it on his PC in 1994. Then he bought a Jag and Doom and I watched him play that... Then I bought a 32X in Dec 94 and got Doom for myself. Sold the 32X and got a Jag in 95 and bought my buddies copy of Doom. ;) Sold my Jag and got a PS on launch day 1995. Bought PS Doom the day it came out in later 1995. It was noticeably better overall than the Jag and 32X versions. Especially since it had Doom II. Sold my PS and got a N64 launch day 1996. Only rented Doom 64 when it came out. Was impressed but the game was extremely dark and difficult, still cool but a very different feeling from the original Dooms. rented SNES Doom sometime in 1996 and its impressive for 16 bit but its not as good as the other versions... only first played 3do Doom a year or 2 ago. i was surprised how sharp the graphics and sounds were, but ya framerate stinks on larger screen. Never played saturn version but supposedly its very close to the same as PS Doom only with weaker framerate and graphics arent as good overall. I guess the Japanese version of Saturn Doom has a better framerate, from what I hear.

Edited by kevincal

Never played saturn version but supposedly its very close to the same as PS Doom only with weaker framerate and graphics arent as good overall. I guess the Japanese version of Saturn Doom has a better framerate, from what I hear.

Saturn DOOM's framerate can get to be as bad as the 3DO version's full-screen mode. Especially at the later stages with huge open rooms (later portions of the original Thy Flesh Consumed levels in particular). Think two or three frames a second, nearly slideshow quality (it's pretty bad). I'm not sure about the Japanese version though. I somehow doubt the framerate would be better, but I'm curious now.

Never played saturn version but supposedly its very close to the same as PS Doom only with weaker framerate and graphics arent as good overall. I guess the Japanese version of Saturn Doom has a better framerate, from what I hear.

Saturn DOOM's framerate can get to be as bad as the 3DO version's full-screen mode. Especially at the later stages with huge open rooms (later portions of the original Thy Flesh Consumed levels in particular). Think two or three frames a second, nearly slideshow quality (it's pretty bad). I'm not sure about the Japanese version though. I somehow doubt the framerate would be better, but I'm curious now.

Yep I know I read that infact Saturn Doom im Japan runs much smoother than the US version. Might have read it in a Doom Wiki or something. Let me know what you find. ;)

Yep I know I read that infact Saturn Doom im Japan runs much smoother than the US version. Might have read it in a Doom Wiki or something. Let me know what you find. ;)

If I find it cheap I will pick it up. I recall seeing it on eBay a week or two ago. It's kind of funny--it uses the same box art from the PlayStation game, haha, whereas the US version has that flaming skull.

**Edit: eBay sellers currently want $50 or $90 for the Japanese Saturn DOOM, respectively. I think I will pass on that curiosity for now, lol.

Also of note, PSX DOOM allows you to use a Double Barrel Shotgun in Ultimate DOOM, also there are a few extra (hidden levels) one takes place in a Rave with German Gabba Tekno in the background. Also there was the added feature of Color maps, or what ever they referred to them as (they are common place in modern ports). What they did was allow some rooms to be cast in red, green, blue, or what have you. Looked great in the Tekno stage.

Damnit.. I just tested 3DO DOOM for the first time in the long time, and it doesn't run nearly as well as I thought it did (in the smallest screen size). It has more stages than other versions, but 32X DOOM still wins out in the framerate department. Bummer. :/ Well, at least the shrunken screen size isn't as small as I remember it being, haha.

Damnit.. I just tested 3DO DOOM for the first time in the long time, and it doesn't run nearly as well as I thought it did (in the smallest screen size). It has more stages than other versions, but 32X DOOM still wins out in the framerate department. Bummer. :/ Well, at least the shrunken screen size isn't as small as I remember it being, haha.

Speaking of 32x Doom I was just watching this review on NBA Jam TE for the Jaguar:

NBA TE

I guess there is a 32x Doom cheat in the Jags NBA Jam that pretty much mocks the 32x's Doom port where the players don't move and just float around the court. :rolling: He talks about it @ about 6:20. Anyone know if this is true? Anyone got any game play footage of that? I checked youtube but no go.

Edited by GKC

I guess there is a 32x Doom cheat in the Jags NBA Jam that pretty much mocks the 32x's Doom port where the players don't move and just float around the court. :rolling: He talks about it @ about 6:20. Anyone know if this is true? Anyone got any game play footage of that? I checked youtube but no go.

Yeah - it's true. I think NBA Jam TE has the most cheats of any Jag game.

Speaking of 32x Doom I was just watching this review on NBA Jam TE for the Jaguar:

NBA TE

Oh, now that is funnY! :)