IGNORED

Jaguar Doom vs Doom 64

GKC

• 1 month later...

Since we have kind of been using this thread as the "Jag Doom vs all other Dooms" thread I sat down today with my son and gave Doom for the 32x some serious play. First and foremost Doom for the 32x is a great game because it's Doom. Period. Even the worst port of Doom would still be a Doom game. With that being said though it's not as good as Doom for the Jag. Yes the music is cool but the music really isn't anything to write home about but I'm not going to lie, even if AVGN thinks it's blah, just having music, blah or not, is a huge +. Second whoever says the you get use to the box around the screen, nope. The colors and textures I found to be better on the Jag. More levels, saves so on and so forth the Jag is just a better port. One thing that I did like was that it was a lighter game than the Jaguar version. With the Jag version I found it difficult to see in some levels because it was so dark. Didn't have this problem with the 32x version at all.

So the verdict: Doom for the 32x is great becaue it's Doom. Jaguar just has the better verion of a great game. If all someone had was Doom on the 32x, you could get by. But if you had to choose, get Doom for the Jag. :thumbsup:

Edited by GKC

Yeah, Jag DOOM is certainly better in many regards, but you hit it on the nail--The 32X version is still good for what it is. I actually will be uploading a video of 32X DOOM on Sunday. I thoroughly enjoy this version and I think it gets more crap than it deserves. Also, the music (which often gets bashed) is comparable to playing DOOM on a PC equipped with an Adlib sound card, which I'm certain many of us did "back in the day". In other words, it's not great, but it's also not to far off from how some of us may have originally experienced the game.

One thing that I did like was that it was a lighter game than the Jaguar version. With the Jag version I found it difficult to see in some levels because it was so dark. Didn't have this problem with the 32x version at all.

Dark levels were intentional. In Wolf3D there was no varying degree of light. In Doom they had the ability to darken some rooms, make the lighting in other rooms intermittent, and even make rooms pitch black (where a light visor will completely light up the room for you.) The Jag was capable of producing the lighting that was intentionally developed into the levels on the PC. So this is actually a plus for the Jag. They intended for lighting to be used to increase fear and suspense throughout the game.

One thing that I did like was that it was a lighter game than the Jaguar version. With the Jag version I found it difficult to see in some levels because it was so dark. Didn't have this problem with the 32x version at all.

Dark levels were intentional. In Wolf3D there was no varying degree of light. In Doom they had the ability to darken some rooms, make the lighting in other rooms intermittent, and even make rooms pitch black (where a light visor will completely light up the room for you.) The Jag was capable of producing the lighting that was intentionally developed into the levels on the PC. So this is actually a plus for the Jag. They intended for lighting to be used to increase fear and suspense throughout the game.

I wondered if that was the case after messing with the settings on my tv for about a half hour. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Yeah.. The lighting effects are a bit more pronounced in the Jaguar version. The 32X game still has lighting effects when you look closely, but they don't tend to darken nearly as much as they do in the Jaguar version. I wonder if that was more of a design choice by the team that ported it.

I agree. Doom is good even in its worst incarnation....and that would be the SNES. But in the spirit of what you said (appreciating 32x Doom) I don't understand why everyone likes to shit all over SNES Doom. It's still playable. It's certainly not the most fun (that'd be PS1/N64) but it's an interesting tech demo. Hell, this game is why I went from Am386/40 to i486DX2/66 and it was running on a 16-bit at 3Mhz?? (edit: I know it had some "help" inside the cartridge but it was still just a SNES cartridge)

Edited by wood_jl

I agree. Doom is good even in its worst incarnation....and that would be the SNES. But in the spirit of what you said (appreciating 32x Doom) I don't understand why everyone likes to shit all over SNES Doom. It's still playable. It's certainly not the most fun (that'd be PS1/N64) but it's an interesting tech demo. Hell, this game is why I went from Am386/40 to i486DX2/66 and it was running on a 16-bit at 3Mhz?? (edit: I know it had some "help" inside the cartridge but it was still just a SNES cartridge)

It's been soooo long since I've played Doom on the SNES which was my first exposure to Doom. I remember it being fine but then again I didn't have anything to compare it too. I have been meaning to pick up a copy just to see if I remember it correctly. Plus the red SNES cart is pretty sweet.

I agree. Doom is good even in its worst incarnation....and that would be the SNES. But in the spirit of what you said (appreciating 32x Doom) I don't understand why everyone likes to shit all over SNES Doom. It's still playable. It's certainly not the most fun (that'd be PS1/N64) but it's an interesting tech demo.

Sure it's an interesting tech demo, but that doesn't make it a good game ; it's probably the worst version of Doom if you want to actually play it.

Took me a while to respond, but DOOM on the SNES is certainly more playable than the 3DO version, surprisingly. Things like keeping faith to the PC version as well as the soundtrack keep it slightly more interesting than other ports at the same time. I think it gets more crap than it deserves. Playing it today, it's still much more playable than it probably should be (Maybe this is because it was the first version of DOOM I played as well, but it still seems to run pretty smooth for what it is, and it has a fairly forgiving aiming system help its rough areas). :thumbsup:

Shameless self-promotion (and comparisons):

SNES; 3DO; 32X; PlayStation;

;
; Dreamcast; XBOX; Nintendo 64;

Since we have kind of been using this thread as the "Jag Doom vs all other Dooms" thread I sat down today with my son and gave Doom for the 32x some serious play. First and foremost Doom for the 32x is a great game because it's Doom. Period. Even the worst port of Doom would still be a Doom game. With that being said though it's not as good as Doom for the Jag. Yes the music is cool but the music really isn't anything to write home about but I'm not going to lie, even if AVGN thinks it's blah, just having music, blah or not, is a huge +. Second whoever says the you get use to the box around the screen, nope. The colors and textures I found to be better on the Jag. More levels, saves so on and so forth the Jag is just a better port. One thing that I did like was that it was a lighter game than the Jaguar version. With the Jag version I found it difficult to see in some levels because it was so dark. Didn't have this problem with the 32x version at all.

So the verdict: Doom for the 32x is great becaue it's Doom. Jaguar just has the better verion of a great game. If all someone had was Doom on the 32x, you could get by. But if you had to choose, get Doom for the Jag. :thumbsup:

Aside from the PC version, there is only ONE other DOOM out there that puts all console conversions to shame. That would be DOOM for Playstation. It had the levels, the weapons, the monsters, the music. It had everything. The graphics were also well done. However, I put Jag DOOM right below it due to great graphics, the controller, and it really seemed to sell the Jag for me.

• 3 months later...

I love, love LOVE this topic. I could go on about Doom for hours. During my heyday I would switch between the 3DO, Jaguar, SNES, PSX, Saturn, N64 and 32X versions quite regularly (and also play some other games on those systems so as to not be switching them out fifty times per day). It took me a while to own a PC in those days, but my best friend did. He introduced me to Doom. One day I bought the SNES version and fired it up, and it was the best thing ever. Then I showed it to him. He immediately remarked on how terrible the graphics were. I made it my mission from that point on to find all the merits of the SNES version, while admitting all the faults, and I picked up more consoles (most of the time once they were no longer making games for them, thus these consoles were available for a very low price), and more Dooms. And they were ALL SO DIFFERENT! I loved it. It seems like every developer at the time went out of their way to make each Doom different from all the others, to give their console some way of competing, however trifling, and they succeeded.

The SNES version had great music. I noted that immediately. In time, I would discover that the 3DO had surpassed even the SNES in terms of musical quality, but in the meantime, the SNES music was amazing. The SNES levels were all identical to the PC version, albeit with horrible graphics in comparison. All the enemies were always facing you, gunshots were invisible, i.e. you couldn't see them if you shot the wall or something, and though it has no Spectres, the invisibility effect is superior to the original PC version. It's ultimately the same effect that the 3DO, Saturn and PSX have, but still...I can't recall what else the SNES had going for it at the moment, but hell, having all the levels intact meant the SNES offered a different level set than the other consoles, which made it a different experience.

The 32X version. Ah, yes, I remember firing that one up and being monumentally disappointed with the level selection. At the same time, however, I was mentally prepared to like the graphics more than I liked the SNES version simply because it was 32-bit as opposed to 16-bit (although supposedly the "Super-FX chip" inside the SNES Doom cartridge bumped it up somehow). They actually were a bit better, and I also remember thinking that the chopped up levels were actually modifications of the original levels--in other words, re-imagined versions which were meant to be superior. In retrospect, I dunno, I still think it was pretty cool that they were different, whatever the reason. I remember that the monsters could only face you on the 32X as well, and that it was missing invisibility/Spectres, the Spiderdemon and the Cyberdemon. It was pretty fast, I recall, had a pretty cool-sounding chainsaw and a very fast chaingun compared to the other consoles. Other than that? I'm not sure what it had going for it.

The Jaguar. Yeah, I have a feeling that's the one we've all been waiting for. A 64-bit console Doom. I thought, "surely this one is the greatest one yet" and "surely it will prove superior to the PC version". I didn't know a heck of a lot about computers and bits and graphics and whatnot at the time, so I was very excited to fire up an Atari Jaguar and play Doom on it. And you know what? I wasn't disappointed. Sure, the resolution wasn't up to PC standards, but the graphics overall were much better than the previous two. I remember noticing that there was no music in the levels, but really, after hearing the 32X music, I wondered if maybe there was a reason. I remember figuring out somehow that the items, monsters, weapons, etc. had more shades than the PC version or almost any other, due to seeing things in different light levels and in rooms where the lights were oscillating, for a more realistic effect. I loved the new levels, the tint of the rad suit and invulnerability were very cool and better than the PC. Oh, and I should note that one...interesting effect...was that on both the 32X and Jag I'm pretty sure I remember blowing up enemies with the rocket launcher from the opposite sides of walls. Not sure if I'd count that as anything but neutral. The lack of invisibility, Spectres, Spiderdemon and Cyberdemon on the Jag was sad, considering that it should have possessed the capability to show them, but at least the monsters could turn and fight each other. Ah! And the 32X and Jag both had a pretty cool blood effect when Demons bit you. Pixels of blood would splash up onto your face. Didn't look all that impressive, but it was still cool.

3DO. Sigh. It could have been so much better, but they made a valiant effort. I played it for a bit just because, and I have a feeling that an emulator for the PC would negate the sloth and choppiness that one encountered if one did not shrink the screen using the screen size option. In other words, the 3DO version was SLOW, but had a built-in fix which, well, sucked. The graphics were great and possibly close to being on-par with the Jag, maybe midway between the Jag and 32X. And it had invisibility and Spectres, but no Cyberdemon or Spiderdemon. The invis/Spectre effect was the same as SNES, superior to the PC. The levels were identical to the Jag. And the music. Was. Amazing. Seriously. Go to the Doom Depot website and listen to it.

Doom 64. Didn't play it as much as I should have, but it was so good! The lighting could have used some improvement and the levels were hard in an annoying kind of way--Doom is kind of about puzzles, but should never have been jacked up to that insane degree. I loved the updated graphics and think that Doom 64 is the quintessential example of what a 64-bit console can do. I also believe the background ambience/quasi-music was wonderful.

PSX/Saturn. I was impressed by the fact that these two updated both graphics and sound, with enhanced lighting perhaps close to or just about on-par with the Jag. I like that they had more levels than any other version, the same invis. and Spectre effect as 3D0 and SNES, Doom II enemies and weapons included in Doom I, the new levels and an excellent ambient soundtrack. I mean, seriously, between these two and Doom 64, I haven't heard anything like it. The Saturn falls short because it's choppy and slow at times, but I can't quite recall what its advantage was. I seem to recall it having at least one. At least! Eh. Oh! And all but the SNES gave 2% per armor bonus and health bonus instead of 1%, though there were always half as many of them lying around. But hey, it made more sense and was less annoying to run around and collect them all, huh?

I had the GBA version. Played it quite a bit at first, then misplaced my GBA! It's all I played on there, though. Great graphics for a handheld and really in general, although WHY was the blood GREEN? I suppose it's not a huge deal. It had all the same levels as the Jag and then Doom II as a follow-up...I can't remember any more!

So in closing...I can't pick a favorite. I like going back and playing the Jag and PSX versions and occasionally seeing stuff in Doom64, and if/when I find my GBA, I WILL PLAY IT! In the meantime, I'm working on getting a hold of Dooms I haven't played yet, and downloading emulators for a more rapid comparison/different Doom experience.

Any thoughts on my comprehensive run-down? Sorry for writing you all a novel here, just had some thoughts and wanted to share. :)

I love, love LOVE this topic. I could go on about Doom for hours. During my heyday I would switch between the 3DO, Jaguar, SNES, PSX, Saturn, N64 and 32X versions quite regularly (and also play some other games on those systems so as to not be switching them out fifty times per day). It took me a while to own a PC in those days, but my best friend did. He introduced me to Doom. One day I bought the SNES version and fired it up, and it was the best thing ever. Then I showed it to him. He immediately remarked on how terrible the graphics were. I made it my mission from that point on to find all the merits of the SNES version, while admitting all the faults, and I picked up more consoles (most of the time once they were no longer making games for them, thus these consoles were available for a very low price), and more Dooms. And they were ALL SO DIFFERENT! I loved it. It seems like every developer at the time went out of their way to make each Doom different from all the others, to give their console some way of competing, however trifling, and they succeeded.

The SNES version had great music. I noted that immediately. In time, I would discover that the 3DO had surpassed even the SNES in terms of musical quality, but in the meantime, the SNES music was amazing. The SNES levels were all identical to the PC version, albeit with horrible graphics in comparison. All the enemies were always facing you, gunshots were invisible, i.e. you couldn't see them if you shot the wall or something, and though it has no Spectres, the invisibility effect is superior to the original PC version. It's ultimately the same effect that the 3DO, Saturn and PSX have, but still...I can't recall what else the SNES had going for it at the moment, but hell, having all the levels intact meant the SNES offered a different level set than the other consoles, which made it a different experience.

The 32X version. Ah, yes, I remember firing that one up and being monumentally disappointed with the level selection. At the same time, however, I was mentally prepared to like the graphics more than I liked the SNES version simply because it was 32-bit as opposed to 16-bit (although supposedly the "Super-FX chip" inside the SNES Doom cartridge bumped it up somehow). They actually were a bit better, and I also remember thinking that the chopped up levels were actually modifications of the original levels--in other words, re-imagined versions which were meant to be superior. In retrospect, I dunno, I still think it was pretty cool that they were different, whatever the reason. I remember that the monsters could only face you on the 32X as well, and that it was missing invisibility/Spectres, the Spiderdemon and the Cyberdemon. It was pretty fast, I recall, had a pretty cool-sounding chainsaw and a very fast chaingun compared to the other consoles. Other than that? I'm not sure what it had going for it.

The Jaguar. Yeah, I have a feeling that's the one we've all been waiting for. A 64-bit console Doom. I thought, "surely this one is the greatest one yet" and "surely it will prove superior to the PC version". I didn't know a heck of a lot about computers and bits and graphics and whatnot at the time, so I was very excited to fire up an Atari Jaguar and play Doom on it. And you know what? I wasn't disappointed. Sure, the resolution wasn't up to PC standards, but the graphics overall were much better than the previous two. I remember noticing that there was no music in the levels, but really, after hearing the 32X music, I wondered if maybe there was a reason. I remember figuring out somehow that the items, monsters, weapons, etc. had more shades than the PC version or almost any other, due to seeing things in different light levels and in rooms where the lights were oscillating, for a more realistic effect. I loved the new levels, the tint of the rad suit and invulnerability were very cool and better than the PC. Oh, and I should note that one...interesting effect...was that on both the 32X and Jag I'm pretty sure I remember blowing up enemies with the rocket launcher from the opposite sides of walls. Not sure if I'd count that as anything but neutral. The lack of invisibility, Spectres, Spiderdemon and Cyberdemon on the Jag was sad, considering that it should have possessed the capability to show them, but at least the monsters could turn and fight each other. Ah! And the 32X and Jag both had a pretty cool blood effect when Demons bit you. Pixels of blood would splash up onto your face. Didn't look all that impressive, but it was still cool.

3DO. Sigh. It could have been so much better, but they made a valiant effort. I played it for a bit just because, and I have a feeling that an emulator for the PC would negate the sloth and choppiness that one encountered if one did not shrink the screen using the screen size option. In other words, the 3DO version was SLOW, but had a built-in fix which, well, sucked. The graphics were great and possibly close to being on-par with the Jag, maybe midway between the Jag and 32X. And it had invisibility and Spectres, but no Cyberdemon or Spiderdemon. The invis/Spectre effect was the same as SNES, superior to the PC. The levels were identical to the Jag. And the music. Was. Amazing. Seriously. Go to the Doom Depot website and listen to it.

Doom 64. Didn't play it as much as I should have, but it was so good! The lighting could have used some improvement and the levels were hard in an annoying kind of way--Doom is kind of about puzzles, but should never have been jacked up to that insane degree. I loved the updated graphics and think that Doom 64 is the quintessential example of what a 64-bit console can do. I also believe the background ambience/quasi-music was wonderful.

PSX/Saturn. I was impressed by the fact that these two updated both graphics and sound, with enhanced lighting perhaps close to or just about on-par with the Jag. I like that they had more levels than any other version, the same invis. and Spectre effect as 3D0 and SNES, Doom II enemies and weapons included in Doom I, the new levels and an excellent ambient soundtrack. I mean, seriously, between these two and Doom 64, I haven't heard anything like it. The Saturn falls short because it's choppy and slow at times, but I can't quite recall what its advantage was. I seem to recall it having at least one. At least! Eh. Oh! And all but the SNES gave 2% per armor bonus and health bonus instead of 1%, though there were always half as many of them lying around. But hey, it made more sense and was less annoying to run around and collect them all, huh?

I had the GBA version. Played it quite a bit at first, then misplaced my GBA! It's all I played on there, though. Great graphics for a handheld and really in general, although WHY was the blood GREEN? I suppose it's not a huge deal. It had all the same levels as the Jag and then Doom II as a follow-up...I can't remember any more!

So in closing...I can't pick a favorite. I like going back and playing the Jag and PSX versions and occasionally seeing stuff in Doom64, and if/when I find my GBA, I WILL PLAY IT! In the meantime, I'm working on getting a hold of Dooms I haven't played yet, and downloading emulators for a more rapid comparison/different Doom experience.

Any thoughts on my comprehensive run-down? Sorry for writing you all a novel here, just had some thoughts and wanted to share. :)

Excellent thoughts and welcome to the forums. Of the Dooms I've played I would rank them like this:

Jaguar

32x

SNES

Saturn

I probably play the 32x version more than the Jag version only because there is something about playing Doom on the Genesis (albeit with a 32 bit life support add on needed to do it) but if I could have only one I would pick the Jag version. I picked the SNES version over the Saturn version simply because I was able to play that version and the Saturn version I, well, wasn't.

The PS and N64 versions should be at the very top of the list. Absolutely. If you're forced to use a 1st-party controller, PS all the way. With a "Superpad 64" (which emulates a modern controller) than N64 all the way.

Everything else ranges from compromise, to all-out suckage. Super NES gets a pass for being a 65816 at a couple of mhz and actually pulling the game off (despite "help") on that ancient hardware, the only one in the lot that should *NOT* be expected to pull off this game, but miraculously still does.

I love how Doom basically adopted the storyline from Quake, and Quake went off on a new tangent... But I also heard that Quake was originally going to be Doom3. Either way, I think that Doom 64 was very near, and more comparable to Quake.

Erm I think you have that backwards, Quake came after Doom, the Doom story always was a marine on Phobos gateway to hell, base gone to pot.

Quake is along similar lines I believe, the name Quake is actually the name of the end boss IIRC.

Yeah Quake came after Doom. I take that back though, Quake1 was pretty much the exact story as Doom... But I think I do remember it was at first going to be the third installment of the doom series before they changed the name to Quake? Hmmmm?

Quake is a series I need to try out again. I had it for N64 (I believe I still do) but never really played it. I wrote off Quake III Arena because I read it was a giant multiplayer game and I prefer single player campaigns/stories so I never picked up a copy. If it truly is basically a Doom game like you say then I need to dust off my N64 copy since Doom is amazing.

Quake is a series I need to try out again. I had it for N64 (I believe I still do) but never really played it. I wrote off Quake III Arena because I read it was a giant multiplayer game and I prefer single player campaigns/stories so I never picked up a copy. If it truly is basically a Doom game like you say then I need to dust off my N64 copy since Doom is amazing.

Quake's single-player campaign doesn't really have the charm of DOOM's single player game. It's a similar formula but much more realistic and not nearly as chaotic. It does have a much creepier atmosphere though. What Quake brought to the table was the massive overhaul to the multiplayer formula. I love the Quake single-player, but I admit I didn't care for it much until after I dedicated a long time to the multiplayer game. Using tricks learned in the multi-player game, the single-player experience was a lot more intense and engrossing.

i rank them

1. pc

xbox

playstation

saturn

jaguar

32x

3do

snes

nuon

doom 64 is an entirely different game. but if i had to, id put it between ps and saturn.

never played gba advance doom, i hate handhelds. my vision is bad enough, i dont want to be bothered staring at a tiny screen.

3do version doesnt get credit it deserves. it has better resolution than all of them except pc and xbox, and the music is killer. also you can get used to the framerate.

saturn version is also better than most give it credit. has the same content as ps1 doom, just the framerate isnt the best, but like the 3do version you can adapt.

you wanna see truly bad framerate, play nuon doom lol...

ps - the japanese saturn doom has a better framerate than us version.

pps - snes doom is way too watered down. ya so the framerate is good and so is the music, too bad the game is almost unrecognizable from doom...

Quake's single-player campaign doesn't really have the charm of DOOM's single player game. It's a similar formula but much more realistic and not nearly as chaotic. It does have a much creepier atmosphere though. What Quake brought to the table was the massive overhaul to the multiplayer formula. I love the Quake single-player, but I admit I didn't care for it much until after I dedicated a long time to the multiplayer game. Using tricks learned in the multi-player game, the single-player experience was a lot more intense and engrossing.

So I did remember correctly and I did have Quake for N64. Very similar to Doom outside the obvious that they are both FPS. Jumping is a nice addition. You're right that there is a much creepier atmosphere due mainly to, what I thought, it's low drum music as opposed to the up tempo music found in Doom (I am not good with music jargon but I think you can understand what I'm saying). In that regard it creates much the same atmosphere that the Jag Doom does where the lack of music does actually help make a creepier atmosphere. Also along these lines the weapon sound effects are much better in Doom. Not sure if this is something with the N64 version or what but when I used the shotgun in Quake I wasn't convinced. With Doom on the other hand, I was convinced that my guy had man's gun. Not sure if it's because I am sick or if it was something with the game but I also didn't have quite the same drive to continue playing the game and beat it like I did Doom.

Also along these lines the weapon sound effects are much better in Doom. Not sure if this is something with the N64 version or what but when I used the shotgun in Quake I wasn't convinced. With Doom on the other hand, I was convinced that my guy had man's gun. Not sure if it's because I am sick or if it was something with the game but I also didn't have quite the same drive to continue playing the game and beat it like I did Doom.

Yeah, the sounds are more.. minimal?.. than what's found in DOOM. At least the basic weapons are that way (shotgun, double barreled shotgun, nailgun, axe). When you get to the super nailgun and up though, it starts sounding pretty good. :)

Well thanks to Wood_jl for the warm welcome! I don't know how long I'll stick around or how often I'll post, being that my Atari knowledge is extremely limited. I do, however, love the Doom topic, and managed to find this: http://www.classicdoom.com/doomcomp.htm. Thought I'd share. Also, Wood, I disagree that it all ranges from compromise to all-out suckage. Yes, there's a ton of compromise throughout every single version--don't forget the missing Arch-Viles in Playstation Doom. Also, let's not ignore the possibility that even though N64 revamped everything, it didn't have a large number of monsters at all...it had new stuff, but did it have more? We wouldn't even know, we were all so mystified by the newness of it all. They did good, revamping it, just saying.

It takes a keen eye to compare them all, and God is in the detail.

Well thanks to Wood_jl for the warm welcome! I don't know how long I'll stick around or how often I'll post, being that my Atari knowledge is extremely limited. I do, however, love the Doom topic, and managed to find this: http://www.classicdoom.com/doomcomp.htm. Thought I'd share. Also, Wood, I disagree that it all ranges from compromise to all-out suckage. Yes, there's a ton of compromise throughout every single version--don't forget the missing Arch-Viles in Playstation Doom. Also, let's not ignore the possibility that even though N64 revamped everything, it didn't have a large number of monsters at all...it had new stuff, but did it have more? We wouldn't even know, we were all so mystified by the newness of it all. They did good, revamping it, just saying.

It takes a keen eye to compare them all, and God is in the detail.

Your link doesnt work