IGNORED

Jaguar Doom vs Doom 64

GKC

Doom 64 was way too dark though, even with the brightness all the way up. Unless you were playing at night it was hard to navigate many levels. Still a cool version.

A little bit. But I thought "Doom 3" on the Xbox was WAAAAAY too dark. I guess they think not being able to see is a feature.

A little bit. But I thought "Doom 3" on the Xbox was WAAAAAY too dark. I guess they think not being able to see is a feature.

Yes that was a design feature.

Doom 64 friggin' rocks, but it is crazy dark. I had to adjust the brightness up on the Wega to see it properly. Love that game though. :cool:

Doom 64 was way too dark though, even with the brightness all the way up. Unless you were playing at night it was hard to navigate many levels. Still a cool version.

I noticed this same thing with Quake on the N64. Some areas I could only get through by guessing. I would say that it was a N64 thing but I sometimes find the Jag version of Doom too dark as well.

i rank them

1. pc

xbox

playstation

saturn

jaguar

32x

3do

snes

nuon

SNIP

you wanna see truly bad framerate, play nuon doom lol...

True, but to be fair, it was a weekend project(literally) to demo the compiler, and was completely unoptimized for the machine.

True, but to be fair, it was a weekend project(literally) to demo the compiler, and was completely unoptimized for the machine.

Has it since been optimized? I saw someone ported it to the NUON and it interested me. It would be one of the reasons I obtain another NUON, but not if it's choppy..

i rank them

1. pc

xbox

playstation

saturn

jaguar

32x

3do

snes

nuon

SNIP

you wanna see truly bad framerate, play nuon doom lol...

I know, its cool that it was ported at all :) Seems many ports of doom were rushed and unoptimized, jag, 3do, nuon and saturn.

Go to 7:50 of this video to see NUON Doom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGe5lP8aEpA

Edited by kevincal

Has it since been optimized? I saw someone ported it to the NUON and it interested me. It would be one of the reasons I obtain another NUON, but not if it's choppy..

I am not aware of any additional work being done to it. It may run better on the N504/5 models as they had the Aries 3 chipset (bigger cache and double the clock speed 108Mhz vs the 54Mhz of the Aries 2 in the N501).

Go to 7:50 of this video to see NUON Doom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGe5lP8aEpA

Shameless self plug - go to 5:00 minutes to see my contribution, the crappy Breakout clone. It would have been much easier to finish with a good development environment. No way to debug code, and each new build had to be burned to CDRW and tested that way.