IGNORED

Correct Prosystem emulator color palette

urborg

This is an image of Joust taken from an Proststem emulator. Rom is NTSC version.

joust06.png

Some colors here looks quite different that on my real console (PAL version). When I play it on the real hardware the color of the enemy birds is definitely not brown, but nice juicy green. I wonder if this is a matter of badly matched palette scheme, or a differences between PAL and NTSC. I assume that green is a correct color of the vultures, because this color vultures have in arcades. What should I do in order to gat proper colors on the emulator?

Edited by urborg

This is an image of Joust taken from an Proststem emulator. Rom is NTSC version.

joust06.png

Some colors here looks quite different that on my real console (PAL version). When I play it on the real hardware the color of the enemy birds is definitely not brown, but nice juicy green. I wonder if this is a matter of badly matched palette scheme, or a differences between PAL and NTSC. I assume that green is a correct color of the vultures, because this color vultures have in arcades. What should I do in order to gat proper colors on the emulator?

The color palettes between NTSC and PAL are different on the 7800 I believe much the same way they differ on the 2600... If so then this doesn't necessarily mean anything. Now if the PAL palette on an emulator look different from your PAL console...

*edits* And I've been up all night so my comprehension is lacking this morning. I haven't played Joust on a NTSC 7800 so not sure if that's how it actually looks on real hardware or not offhand. If someone can confirm they're green on a NTSC 7800 then it would definitely be a palette issue.

Edited by Mord

That's my palette in Prosystem. It is accurate, but the colors are brightened up slightly from how they might appear on an NTSC CRT TV. This is how they would look with a clear video A/V mod on a newer LCD/Plasma. It's what they wuld have looked like on a CRT TV using an AV mod with the color turned up a pinch.

The 7800 PAL palette is entirely different, and not as color-rich, simply because PAL displays are not capable of the same palette as NTSC TVs.

Your PAL 7800 will never look exactly the same as an NTSC 7800 or any Emulator. I never bothered to update the PAL Palete in prosystem because I don't have a PAL 7800, nor do I own a PAL TV. I have nothing to compare to.

The arcade version, ST port, lynx version, NES version, williams greatest hits versions (and midway hits) on SNES/Genesis/PSX/Saturn/N64/GBA, and stand alone downloable versions all have green vultures.

However, the NTSC 7800 version does display as green (more or less) as well in RF so perhaps they took RF artifacting into account. (albeit the platforms are also ocre/greenish instead of brown) I'm not sure how modded composite looks though... in some machines the composite looks like RF without static, in others the RF end up looking a fair bit more skewed in color. (you could manually compensate by altering the hue setting on the TV)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw9_7BoXBKw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw9_7BoXBKw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ga2Dtkg92I

This is what it looks like on mine. When I got the TV, all the colors were a tad off. A minor adjustment to the hue fixed them all.

post-3056-128803611613_thumb.jpg

from the looks of that one, the wings are green but the body of the vultures is brown, but everything else seems to pretty closely match my prosystem palette. maybe I missed on a few hex values in the green/Brown portion of the palette file.

great. now I have to go buggy trying to fix it again. :P

Not a whole lot of green in there urborg. In fact I double checked with my av nodded NTSC unit last night, and the wings aren't really green. More somewhere in between green and gold/light brown. My palette needs a slight adjustment, but not as dramatic as I thought.

Edited by Underball

Ok, So I've adjusted my palette file slightly, due to the noted issues with Joust.

This should produce a much more accurate palette. The colors are still rich and bright for the most part, but the darker end of the spectrum has been darkened appropriately, and a few of the values along the green/gold/brown segment have been adjusted.

I will post an update to PSP7800 later when I get home.

But it might be tomorrow, as I'm off to the TD Boston Garden tonight to watch my Celtics make mince meat of the Miami LeBitches and assorted bench mannequins.

NTSC Darker 10-26-10.zip

Thanks for the effort. It's definitely better now. I will be gladly using the new palette now. See the comparision

joustknightscomparision.png

But I think there is still a little more green on real hardware, though. Not sure about NTSC consoles, but on PAL console and TV definitely it is. Of course my photo of the screen is not 100% accurate. I think it can be a little darker in real as white on the photo was a slightly burned. But still wings should be more greenish and a little less brownish. See the second comparision.

post-5979-128815626947_thumb.png

post-5979-128815628125_thumb.png

Edited by urborg

Ok, So I've adjusted my palette file slightly, due to the noted issues with Joust.

This should produce a much more accurate palette. The colors are still rich and bright for the most part, but the darker end of the spectrum has been darkened appropriately, and a few of the values along the green/gold/brown segment have been adjusted.

I will post an update to PSP7800 later when I get home.

But it might be tomorrow, as I'm off to the TD Boston Garden tonight to watch my Celtics make mince meat of the Miami LeBitches and assorted bench mannequins.

Attached is PSP7800 with the updated palette files. PAL remains untouched, as I have no means to test PAL hardware.

Source file updates for the new palette values will be held until the devs who are working on the changes in Prosystem to accomodate the 7800 XM decide to share their work.

PSP7800_v1.4.zip

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the effort. It's definitely better now. I will be gladly using the new palette now. See the comparision

But I think there is still a little more green on real hardware, though. Not sure about NTSC consoles, but on PAL console and TV definitely it is. Of course my photo of the screen is not 100% accurate. I think it can be a little darker in real as white on the photo was a slightly burned. But still wings should be more greenish and a little less brownish. See the second comparision.

I know this is raising a thread from the grave....But urborg is correct. Although it may be hard for some to see it under Joust - there is indeed green lacking and too much brown as even more clearly seen in Bob's Bentley Bear game. The forest is supposed to be green and it is brown. :Likely the same palette choice joust used for the jousting birds above is being used in the Bentley Bear forest.

It appears Underball is no longer a member, but if anyone else has the skill to modify the last posted palette "NTSC Darker 10-26-10.pal" with corrected "brown-tan-green" it would be appreciated.

Palette mentioned is right here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/171398-correct-prosystem-emulator-color-palette/?do=findComment&comment=2123709

Thanks,

Trebor