IGNORED

Gwobby Strikes Back!

Very nice game, Jason.

Your programming's skill has improved very much.

I think it didn't deserve last position.

Now that you don't have deadlines, perhaps you could refine it (f.e. improve character's graphics and death sequence).

PS In your website, use this link to Altirra'a emulator:

http://www.virtualdub.org/altirra.html

instead of linking an old AA thread.

Thanks for the nice comments... and you orph ;-)

Yes, the game is finished but I might make a few more tweaks based on the feedback - if I can free up some more RAM. I did seriously think of having a difficulty level option but went for easier sections on the first few levels after testing by bluecat and a few others. From experience I rarely play games on the different difficulty levels, but pitching a game for all abilities is tricky. Preppie!! if you can't make it to the extra man then I'll do a few tweaks, the pseudo random level generator sometimes throws a stinker on level 1. Gwobby's hat should save you from falling off the edges, you can then climb back up to the plaforms, if in any doubt jump! Otherwise it's kiddies mode for you too :D

Hoping to start my next Atari project in January, was thinking of having a bash at assembler but think I will try and get analmux's PMG engine working with GSB instead. I will also design some proper screens which was my original plan. The logic I have will work with whatever is on screen, like walking up slopes - something I noticed Bounty Bob did on level 1 of Miner 2049er but they never capitalised on this great idea. I found PMG speed was the main issue restricing features, especially when both baddies and four missiles were in play on the later levels. I had to move Gwobby 2 pixels at a time instead of 1 as a cheat. Then there's splitting PMGs, multiple DLIs and tons of other stuff I need to have a go at :)

This game is only in (turbo)basic with a couple of m/c routines but it gave me a real insight into how games such as BBSB were created, I can imagine them having the same issues and spending weeks on serious dilemmas such as fixed vs random colour schemes, though in reality this probably took me longer to code!

Yes if anyone has any better animations or sound effects please post or get in touch. I tried using the sound filters/channel joins for the 1st time, but I find it hard to create decent sounds, just trial and error with various loops.

Remember to make the image/disk RW so the high-score can be saved, Have Fun!

The ranking of this year´s software competition is rather different to my personal ranking. Sure, against that amount of great games is not the best game ever, but it´s fun to play and would have deserved at least a midfield position. Thumbs up, I like Gwobby. At least with volume very low. ;-)

Next year Gwobbys Bloody Revenge will strike them all, won´t it? :-)

The ranking of this year´s software competition is rather different to my personal ranking. Sure, against that amount of great games is not the best game ever, but it´s fun to play and would have deserved at least a midfield position. Thumbs up, I like Gwobby. At least with volume very low. ;-)

I like it, good to see people still using Shoot Em Up Construction Kit....

:)

Don't give my young apprentices any more ideas... for me to code! I did introduce oozing blood in this game so thought it deserved a 15 certificate :D

p.s. Just played GSB and made it to level 9, scored 88,800 much nicer looking on my XL than my XE for some reason!

Don't give my young apprentices any more ideas... for me to code! I did introduce oozing blood in this game so thought it deserved a 15 certificate :D

p.s. Just played GSB and made it to level 9, scored 88,800 much nicer looking on my XL than my XE for some reason!

I wish emulation users would read that, some moan about the display but that's the problem, even real hardware can look different...

Apart from that, had a long bash at GSB and loved it, hard but fair.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok now you've had time to play, and recover, from playing Gwobby Strikes Back!

please could I have some more feedback (asking for trouble) :ponder: Is the consensus the game is too difficult :?: Has anyone made it past level 9 :?:

p.s. Fandal's has released a much improved version of his abbuc entry Milk and Nuts. Checkout his other excellent games too I especially like Cubico, Swapz and Diamondz :thumbsup:

I need to get back and play this some more. I recall liking it a lot and thinking,"this should have placed somewhere much higher than last in the competition.".

Right off the bat, I think that the Jumping could use a bit of tweaking, but like I said, I'll have to play some more to give it a more in depth critique.