IGNORED

HELP! AMIGA experts! Better to get PAL OR NTSC model?

OldSchoolRetroGamer

So I see you'd rather fucking mock me than try to understand my point. OK.

Well, first of all, you can shove that F word up where the sun don't shine on ya, and second of all, I don't need to "understand your point"... *MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE* is I like it better in NTSC mode/faster. Do you understand now, or is PAL not the only thing that's slow?

Edited by walterg74

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2010 at 8:05 AM, icbrkr said:

If you're in N. America, get an NTSC.

With an A1200 you can switch at bootup and you can modify WHDLOAD games (games cracked to run off a hard drive) to autoboot in PAL or NTSC - your choice. Previous poster says the clock speed is different, which is true, but I've found switching into PAL will slow it down to the proper speed. Easy way to verify is to take a game like Zool, Cannon Fodder, etc, that has a good music track, boot into PAL, and you'll notice it slows down (as does the action).

With a 1084 monitor hooked up, you will also get the extra scanlines of PAL.

Thanks,

I'm in the same position as the OP

T

On 3/2/2022 at 6:21 PM, danytyler said:

PAL.

Anything other than Amiga PAL is playing the wrong way.

Tastes are another matter, there will always be someone who likes to drink bleach.

So the PAL Amiga and more specifically the 500?

I'm in a similar situation as the OP.

Let's clear some stuff up here:

If a MOD player is basing its timing on the screen refresh rate, then it's a pretty bad MOD player. Timing should be independent of the screen refresh rate, and the MOD player 

Games where the graphics are synchronised to the refresh rate and all actions are calculated on the refresh rate will of course feel very different to play. Not many games compensate for the difference, but some do.

NTSC screenmodes have a different pixel aspect ration than PAL screenmodes, so artwork can appear stretched or squashed when played on one but intended for the other.

Where personal preference comes into it is whether you prefer to play a game as the developers intended or not. But more often than not the developers will have developed for one or the other, and designed the game movements, speeds, artwork and so on for that speed.

• Like 2