IGNORED

Robix

_Fandal_

OK. Raster is not going to do that so someone else have to. Let me introduce Robix, the best game from ABBUC SW Compo 2010. Yes, Robix didn't win the compo (it scored the 4th place) but even authors or Ocean Detox (1st place) and h3x0r Deluxe (3rd place) know that results are joke and real winner is Robix. I think that someone had to say that finally!

Robix is original game, not just A8 remake of PC games, like Ocean Detox, h3x0r Deluxe or Jewel Bits. It was two years in development and it is a great horizontal shooter (the first real A8 shooter in more than 15 years) for one or two players. Especially dual mode is really fun because there is interaction between players, which is something very unusual on A8. The game has four stages with final bosses (the boss can be hit only in eyes area!) and all stages can be completed separately. Please note that you get better weapon or additional energy if you kill all enemies from a wave - so shoot 'em all! Robix is not easy game but it can be finished with some training. It just need some practice (like Zybex).

Happy gaming and please, share here your comments, feelings, opinions, experiences, etc.!

This thread is closed for Mr. Mario Krix aka emkay. We all know that you hate Raster (because your every second post here on AtariAge is "RMT is shit!") and that you hate Robix. So you would only repeate yourself again and again (as you usually do) and nobody in this thread wonders what you think about Raster or Robix. So, please, just stay away!

F.

• Like 2

How does one score more than 40 points in this game :sad: ? Talk about getting your ass handed to you! Can I pretend that the game plays too fast on NTSC machines so that my fragile gaming ego isn't shattered?

I can see this game being addicting (or a joystick getting broken). Nice sprite routines too. The 3rd stage looks like a NES game, minus any flicker.

EDIT

Helps a bit to know that down on he joystick shortens the guy. I still average 40 points a level :x

I'm a blind person.

Each time I see an Atari game i only can see hexadecimals, number of chars, dlis, multiplexing work, hardware/software sprites, display lists,...

So my opinion is only at the technical point of view.

At first, I think there is no perfect program on this contest. Every program has his own handicaps, so depends very much particularly on each ABBUC member how took these cons for the evaluation.

Personally, I think ROBIX and MILK NUTS are the best of the contest.

ROBIX, because the properly use of colors and nice graphics. I saw those char based shooters this year on Atari and it seems Raster enhanced the visual content. But, it would be fine to do something on the sky to get more attractive, maybe some color degree, the sky looks so empty. Another enhancement, the enemies could shoot bullets.

MILK NUTS is a giant job of programming. Well designed according to the NES version, even has a editor of levels (what a patient!). It looks near at 99% of NES version. I think there is a little issue about the jumping, when you jump you lose x-axis speed, so for this factor the game go very hard to play. With my best efforts I only reach the 3 level! Now, version 1.1. let me play with easy level and I got much fun.

In honor to the truth I never think OCEAN DETOX won the contest. Despite of the good graphics, the game looks so simple, something like a 2600 game. But today, after playing a lot more i found could be fun.

DONNY 2 was a surprise, each time Winfried go better with his engine. He reach the level of Schreckenstein or Cavelord software.

I enjoyed VGM Player a lot. Congratulation for Norbert to do this nice music emulator for SEGA tunes.

As said elsewhere in this forum, I realise that Robix (and Milk Nuts) was more effort to produce.

However, this is not what the majority of ABBUC members vote. Its not a coding compo (most wouldn't even be able to judge that).

As this thread is about Robix:

The beginning is too hard (or level too long). And it looks kind of cheap (at least in teh beginning. somewhere in lvl 1 the ground graphics get really nice (bridges and so on) however, I bet most of the guys voting at the compo didn't even get that far. Let alone reach teh 2nd level.

In general I think it would be better if the developers of the game make the 3 minute video and not the compo organizer.

The majority of voters got teh game 4 weeks before the compo and oyu can't expect everybody to play them thoroughly.

The downside of the compo is, when there are more then 2 really good games the amount of work put into them didn't pay of. :(

EDIT:

Maybe for a bit of motivation to fro more people here to try out that game... Let's all post our High Scores :)

Edited by Creature XL

This thread is closed for Mr. Mario Krix aka emkay. We all know that you hate Raster (because your every second post here on AtariAge is "RMT is shit!") and that you hate Robix. So you would only repeate yourself again and again (as you usually do) and nobody in this thread wonders what you think about Raster or Robix. So, please, just stay away!

? Why should I hate Raster? What's this now ?

Vice Versa I'm wondering about your change of view? Where's the point to write Demos that insult my doing with POKEY sounds?

Have you also forgotten about Cubico placed 1st by presentation and gameplay?

It's only the fact that the game isn't that "perfect" as you might think.

And now I stand outside the thread, as you wish.

I tried Robix yesterday and I have to agree with Fandal. Robix is an unique game. The playability reminds me the best games of this kind from the Amiga. I hope one day there will be a Robix II or Super Robix with a more enemies, weapons, hidden levels and spectacular stereo soundtrack ;)

I think we need an impartial opinion from a neutral personal about the ABBUC results contest.

Where is Jose Pereira? :D

Just reading.

But I haven't much time for this discussions.

Many more Games is good. All have their bests.

Have many Games at a time to get the Graphics into A8 to others code ;)

José Pereira.

Another try for an 'impartial' opinion:

To me this game seems to be the most interesting contribution of all the participants of the whole game contest. Also, nice trick with the two independent scrolling zones for armies of enemies & playground. I had especially a lot of expectation of this game.

However, the final bosses are really boring. Especially in levels 2,3 and 4. There's too much monotoneity there. But, also the movement patterns of the attacking groups of small enemies gets really boring lateron.

I think it's also a bit of a shame that the sprites are moving in blocky resolution. At the same time precomputed and preshifted gfx data could be there.

And, some ingame music? Possibly there wasn't any more RAM left to include it?

But, on the other hand, as a sparetime project, and built from the ground (both coding, levels, sprites, music), it's still a great contribution.

nice trick with the two independent scrolling zones for armies of enemies & playground.

[/quote}

What? i can only see the scrolling ground a blank sky with blocky moved soft sprites. Considering the blank sky (so no AND, OR stuff has to be done) its rather poor.

And not even a try to hide that the blue is COLBK so the frame beneath and at the sides of the ground is blue?

If I sound like an arse here, I don't care. But saying this game is AMIGA style game play and has top grpahics sounds like out of someones arse.

I mean, the shots are ONLY straight. Nothing special. No extras to collect (like a "super jump", a "temporary slow down" or whatnot) THAT would be AMIGA game play.

Robix is original game, not just A8 remake of PC games, like Ocean Detox, h3x0r Deluxe or Jewel Bits. It was two years in development and it is a great horizontal shooter (the first real A8 shooter in more than 15 years)...

Ekhm..., Tomcat by TDC? Nice game anyway ;P

Dunno how I missed that link, thanks! now I can play some milk nuts LOL

http://atari.fandal.cz/ there you can download 5 out of 8 games in ABBUC SW contest. One more is here on Aage (Gwobby strikes back trhead) and about Dony 2 and Star Protector it's up to its authors if/where/how they will release their game to the public.

Edited by MaPa

Maybe for a bit of motivation to fro more people here to try out that game... Let's all post our High Scores :)

I could run and end of Season HSC round on new abbuc games in January if anyone's interested :?! :!: We're about to start the 'November bonus round' with a selection of games too if anyone want to play. Currently Gorf and Zeppelin are still running until the 1st November. Checkout the links below :)

• Like 1

I could run and end of Season HSC round on new abbuc games in January if anyone's interested :?! :!: We're about to start the 'November bonus round' with a selection of games too if anyone want to play. Currently Gorf and Zeppelin are still running until the 1st November. Checkout the links below :)

Sounds like a good idea to me :)

Maybe for a bit of motivation to fro more people here to try out that game... Let's all post our High Scores icon_smile.gif

I could run and end of Season HSC round on new abbuc games in January if anyone's interested icon_confused.gif! icon_exclaim.gif We're about to start the 'November bonus round' with a selection of games too if anyone want to play. Currently Gorf and Zeppelin are still running until the 1st November. Checkout the links below icon_smile.gif

I'll second that

i thought all the games were pretty decent but i am most interested in seeing the sms music player but the link just gives a description of the programs

On the homepage there is a Windows program called vgm2atr.exe. With it you can convert vgm-files (e.g. from this site: http://www.smspower.org/Music/VGMs) to atari executables. It's a command line tool. Usage: vgm2atr sonic.vgm sonic.xex sonic.sap (vgm2atr inputfile outputfile1 outputfile2).

And you can see Norbert's email adress on the screenshots at the homepage. I'm sure he will be happy about feedback...