IGNORED

Why "Pepper II"?

Xot

I am of course referring to the Exidy game, Pepper II. I have never understood why it is named as it is, I have never heard of an 'original' Pepper game. Wikipedia didn't help at all... just wondering if someone here knew off the top of their head.

http://www.atariprotos.com/rumormill/2600/2600rumor.htm

Incidentally, there is no Pepper I. The II in the title referred to the fact that the character had two personalities (angel and devil) and not that it was a sequel.

There is also the advantage that it generates interest in the game's name...as you yourself just proved ;)

• Like 1

What _is_ the first numbered video game sequel? (ie. first game to have a "II" or "2" in the title and be an actual sequel)

beats me, but I'll take a guess. Speedway II was a 1977 VCS game, and the original 'speedway' was some kind of pong thing. Of course those are sears rebrand names...

Edited by Reaperman

What _is_ the first numbered video game sequel? (ie. first game to have a "II" or "2" in the title and be an actual sequel)

Maybe Speedway II? Sears had two Speedway standalone consoles (Speedway and Speedway IV), but Speedway II included far more games and variations than those consoles. So maybe the Speedway II cartridge is like a sequel to the Speedway consoles?

In the more conventional sense, I think Pitfall II is the earliest numbered sequel I can think of. I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now. :)

Maybe Speedway II? Sears had two Speedway standalone consoles (Speedway and Speedway IV), but Speedway II included far more games and variations than those consoles. So maybe the Speedway II cartridge is like a sequel to the Speedway consoles?

In the more conventional sense, I think Pitfall II is the earliest numbered sequel I can think of. I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now. :)

Head On 2 and Space Invaders Part II come to mind...

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8091

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9669

• Like 1

Head On 2 and Space Invaders Part II come to mind...

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8091

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9669

Tank II has those beat (1974):

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10029

The Sears numbering scheme has nothing to do with sequels, instead it denotes how many players the console supports. So "II" meant it was a 2 player console, and "IV" meant it was a 4 player console. Take a look at some Sears consoles / games and you'll see this is true. Note though that Sears abandoned this numbering scheme later on, so it only applies to early consoles / games.

It causes a lot of confusion now days, I know....

Edited by else
  • Like 1

The Sears numbering scheme has nothing to do with sequels, instead it denotes how many players the console supported. So "II" meant it was a 2 player console, and "IV" meant it was a 4 player console. Take a look at some Sears games / consoles and you'll see.

I never knew that. Thanks for answering a question that has been nagging me for a long time.

Tempest

Well okay then! I am not doubting your authority, Tempest, just wondering where is this information found? In some original arcade flyers? I suppose I could have dug up my CV cart manual to find out if it was in there.

As for the first numbered sequel, Pitfall II was the first one to pop into my mind as well. And the II/IV meaning 2/4 players also nicely explains away Sears' "Breakaway IV" title for Breakout. Awesome stuff, guys.

Well okay then! I am not doubting your authority, Tempest, just wondering where is this information found? In some original arcade flyers?

I forget. Some arcade website I think. I did some digging at one point because I was curious just like you.

Tempest

And the II/IV meaning 2/4 players also nicely explains away Sears' "Breakaway IV" title for Breakout. Awesome stuff, guys.

Now to really make your head spin, it seems even people at Sears had trouble figuring out their own naming convention. On the first printing of the Breakaway IV boxes it says (incorrectly) that the game is for 2 players. On later printings, they fixed it to say 4 players.

There's a scan of the errored box here on AtariAge:

Breakaway IV - errored box

Here's a link to a scan of the corrected box:

Breakaway IV - corrected box

Edited by else

The Sears numbering scheme has nothing to do with sequels, instead it denotes how many players the console supports. So "II" meant it was a 2 player console, and "IV" meant it was a 4 player console. Take a look at some Sears consoles / games and you'll see this is true. Note though that Sears abandoned this numbering scheme later on, so it only applies to early consoles / games.

You're partly right. The numerals in Sears titles didn't have anything to do with sequels or whatever, but they didn't necessarily have anything to do with the number of players, either. Maybe that was the intention, and in some cases it works (like Breakaway IV), but in practice, it didn't always work out that way. For instance, I've got a Sears Hockey Tennis III, which supports only two players. And the Speedway II cartridge supports up to four.

Additionally, Speedway II seems to actually expound on the theme of Speedway by adding so many different game variations, instead of merely changing the number of players. But then, is the game ACTUALLY "Speedway II" or "Street Racer?"

Re: Tank II: If I'm not mistaken (and I very well could be), Tank II is the same game as the original Tank, just in a smaller, redesigned cabinet.

Edited by BassGuitari

Re: Tank II: If I'm not mistaken (and I very well could be), Tank II is the same game as the original Tank, just in a smaller, redesigned cabinet.

I believe that is the explanation for Tail Gunner II, as well, though that is for the cockpit version. Who needs a sit-down version of Tail Gunner? I love the game, I just think it's overkill. I didn't know that Exidy made that version, I guess they loved their cockpit Star Fire so much they wanted to make more examples?

I believe that is the explanation for Tail Gunner II, as well, though that is for the cockpit version. Who needs a sit-down version of Tail Gunner? I love the game, I just think it's overkill. I didn't know that Exidy made that version, I guess they loved their cockpit Star Fire so much they wanted to make more examples?

Tank II is a two player game only - no computer opponent...

A sit-down version of Tail Gunner is a way to put the same wine in a different bottle: give the kids a different perspective of the game and squeeze as many quarters as you can out of 'em.