IGNORED

Atari-Forum.com...

Willsy

I have tracked down the MD via facebook and sent him a message asking whether this is a temporary glitch and if so, an indication of how long we will be out of service for.

Will update as soon as I have any news.

Cheers,

Dal.

Good, I hope that they will be online soon. ;)

thew forum is still going cause i just got an email notifying me that a topic i had participated in was replied to but the thing is our north american ..or maybe canadian carriers of the site failed to serve us its pages

i don't knoe what to do , i learned on the forum , helped , participated..it was a major part of my hobby

what can we do?

charles

A-F has had 'a fair number' of outages over the years (though obviously a few more recently.) Given the option, I'd look into moving (again?) to a more solid host :/ Not sure if there is an option :) I mean, 250host.com is known to be pretty iffy at best (search google for '250host.com sucks' and count the reviews ;)

How much bandwidth and space does it take up? (I ask, as I know a couple folks who host sites, though charity is tougher in this economy. Still, could be worth a shot.)

At least there are backups (cheer!)

Have to wonder what went on at the ISP though; would assume serious, since no self respecting IT company is without support even during holidays.. so either they don't care (ugh) or they're in real trouble (ugh) :(

jeff

From what I can make out, 250host is a very small operation (may just be the one guy with a couple of servers).

In fact I have done some digging about and found a site that details company profiles - turns out 250host is apparently worth $47...

http://websiteshadow.com/250host.com

Sounds rather odd to me given that Silver Surfer has been paying somewhere in the region of $24 per month

As you will see further up in this thread, our intention has always been to move the site. I wanted to leave it until the new year though as it was my baby's first Christmas, wife has been in hospital and to be honest I wanted a bit of time with the family rather than using it to move the forum.

If there is anyone who reckons they can provide hosting for AF, then I can tell you the database in it's entirety us approximately 6GB - we'll want a bit of room to grow. Bandwidth I'm not so sure about bandwidth as I only got access to the backend when the forum came back online. However there are approximately 5000 registered users (mostly dormant accounts now I believe). I guess approximately 1GB to 1.5GB per month will be plenty of bandwidth...

PM me if you can help or know of someone who can.

The hosting needs to be professional with backup facilities and the ability for me to create cron jobs to sync backups with cloud storage etc... Also must be able to support FTP, php and mysql.

Cheers,

Darren

PS. Happy New Year!

Edited by Dal_1978

@blues76 - I am one of the site admins. There is also Silver Surfer and Brumme. However they have been otherwise commited elsewhere in their lives.

I had the keys passed over to me at the beginning of December by Silver Surfer. I have been in contact with him since the 27th when this latest outage occurred...

@blues76 - I am one of the site admins. There is also Silver Surfer and Brumme. However they have been otherwise commited elsewhere in their lives.

I had the keys passed over to me at the beginning of December by Silver Surfer. I have been in contact with him since the 27th when this latest outage occurred...

Well,

this is an amazing service you do. Maybe we can all shipping to paid for a hosting. I use LunarPages.com

http://www.lunarpages.com/hosting-solutions/basic-hosting/

They don't have limit in the amount of data you stored... And you can have multiple domains. At 4.95 a month, I think is a great price.

Maybe we should create a new post and find a way how can we all shipping to pay for that hosting. They have everything you need (mysql, cron,ftp...)

I have used them for many years and I think they were down only once for one day.

Please note that I have nothing to do with them...

Should we start a new post asking for donations?

Well,

this is an amazing service you do. Maybe we can all shipping to paid for a hosting. I use LunarPages.com

http://www.lunarpages.com/hosting-solutions/basic-hosting/

They don't have limit in the amount of data you stored... And you can have multiple domains. At 4.95 a month, I think is a great price.

Maybe we should create a new post and find a way how can we all shipping to pay for that hosting. They have everything you need (mysql, cron,ftp...)

I have used them for many years and I think they were down only once for one day.

Please note that I have nothing to do with them...

Should we start a new post asking for donations?

Another option (maybe it is crazy even to suggest it) is to migrate the forum to Atari-Age.com assuming that this would be allowed...

Some friends of mine operate a solid hosting ISP; I mentioned the predicament and the requirements such as I know them, and got an offer to host the site gratis (as long as A-F is non-profit, which afaik it is.)

Let me know if you would like me to hook you/representative up so you cna figure out requirements, how to set up the php board and licenses, and all that.

Offer is on the table :)

I'll try to keep checking in over the day/weekend, but I'm also at skeezix a t skeleton dawt org.

jeff

Some of us long ago offered to contribute to AF hosting costs. Unfortunately, that's not easy to put it in practice in the long term. Even then, I am still ready to contribute if there is any need.

I think that the hosting company should be a serious company, with round the clock tech support and pro customer service. A small hosting run by a couple of kids, disregarding how good they are, is not, IMHO, a good idea. I also think that the offices (not the physical hosting) should better be geographically located in the same country as the main admin (whoever he is).

Same country hosting can be handy for sure; I'll let them know.

jeff

To be clear, I'm hoping that 'kids' remark just came across incorrectly; I should think most of us in the Atari community are longer in the tooth than 'kids'; when an offer of kindness comes at a time of need, I think it is nicer to be gratious than snarky. (The ISP in question is actually a top tier operation in Canada, and for my part, I've been around in many open source communities for nearly a couple decades, thanks very much :)

To be clear, I'm hoping that 'kids' remark just came across incorrectly; I should think most of us in the Atari community are longer in the tooth than 'kids'; when an offer of kindness comes at a time of need, I think it is nicer to be gratious than snarky. (The ISP in question is actually a top tier operation in Canada, and for my part, I've been around in many open source communities for nearly a couple decades, thanks very much :)

Sorry Jeff. I wasn't talking specifically about you or your friends, and I certainly didn't mean to offend anybody.

What I meant is that in this case, a pro tech support and customer service is really important. There are some ISPs and hosting services that are run by one or two individuals, usually (but not always) young people. In some cases they might be, technically, much better than a more "established" company. But again, I think that it might be not the best in this particular case.

That's what I meant, anyway. I apologize again if I offended you or anybody else.

Fair enough; you're probably right, since just as anyone with a word processor calls themselves a 'graphics artist', anyone with a static IP can call themselves a domain host. An established organization would be best, in light of the troubls with 250host.

Keeping it local is a good idea though, really; how often would you like to just go over and say 'heres my disk, back it up _here_' :)

Offer from the ISP in question remains, if things get into a pinch :)

jeff

Hi,

I don't mind contributing money if needed. If we all add between 2 to 4 dollars per year (or more) would be more than enough.

We could have one responsible person that we send the money via paypal.

I think lunarpages has great support via email. I never had a problem. But I agree that hosting must be one that the person in charge must feel ok with.

I'm a subscriber here, I'd be happy to join a subscriber/contributer

group to help support AtariForum and keep it going in a more stable

manner.

These 2 sites, AtariAge and AtariForum, are mainstays for me, and a

very valuable resource. They really need to keep going. I'm sure this

apply's to a lot of Atari users.

New host has been set up. I have created a temporary landing page that details everything that has been going on and where we are with getting the forum back. Please check there for further updates.

Note that the name server was updated today (thanks Brume and Silver Surfer). So depending where you are in the world, the change may not have replicated to your neck of the woods yet.

Cheers.

Edited by Dal_1978
  • Like 1

DNS isn't updated at my usual haunts, so I'll check later.

-- which host?

-- are costs covered, or do you need a monthly donation or donation pool going on?

-- how old is the backup?

I found that A-F was reasonably covered back around 2008 in the wayback-machine (archive.org), which has been handy .. just archive.org is super slow ;)

jeff

I went with http://www.hostpapa.co.uk superb hosting company, checked out their online support chat facility as a 'test' and got a representative within a couple of minutes... On new years day!

Cost worked out at £126-ish for three years unlimited storage, unlimited bandwidth with the usual cpanel interface etc.

I'll have a think about how we handle costs etc. I'll start a thread about it on AF once it's up as I have a few ideas and I know others have expressed a wish to have some kind of voluntary donations mechanism. Here is not the right place to discuss though.