IGNORED

5200 bottoms

madman

I got my 5200 today and after seeing many pics online, tried to wrap the RF cord around the bottom part, only it didn't exist. Is this coiling part with the arrows supposed to exist on all 5200s and mine is just missing it, or were some models made without a nice place to coil the cable? Thanks!

I got my 5200 today and after seeing many pics online, tried to wrap the RF cord around the bottom part, only it didn't exist. Is this coiling part with the arrows supposed to exist on all 5200s and mine is just missing it, or were some models made without a nice place to coil the cable? Thanks!

My 4 port has that compartment, not sure about 2 port models though.

My 4 port has that compartment, not sure about 2 port models though.

probably broke its thin and the cord only really wraps one cord width so if someone really jams a tight coil it probably got tore off one time and never put back

Some had a large pop-on retainer for wrapping the rf cord. Others just had 4 small tabs sticking out of the center hub casting. All 4 ports that I've seen have the first style. I've seen both styles on 2 port consoles.

Has anyone removed the cover part from the first one? Maybe they all have the 4 tabs and that's what the cover latches on to.

Edited by OldAtarian

I checked before I left the house this AM. I have 4 port machines with both types of bases. So, either the 4 ports were made both ways or the bottoms are interchangeable.

I definitely have one with the removable piece (and one with that piece missing). Shouldn't take much effort to remove just that piece. Should be easier, and might be cheaper to ship.

Just had a pair of two ports arrive on my doorstep and they both have the 4 prongs for holding the cable when not in use instead of the cover like on my four port.

:-o

Hopefully, you took them in instead of leaving the poor things out in the cold! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just following up here, I received a 4-port today (with the VCS mod) and it has the style with the 4 tabs sticking out. This is probably common knowledge, but it also appears the top halves of the cases differ between my 2 5200s. The first one I have has a glossy look to the controller port cover and the front, the one I received today is more of a transparent smokey color on both parts. Too bad the seller did a shoddy packing job and the top cracked on the one I just received.

Hmmm...I don't have any spare 5200 bottoms. I do plan to get a more 5200's should any of my working ones take a dump. And I did have a 2-port model at one time that was saved from a Salvation Army store. It didn't seem like a 5200. The plastic the casing was made from felt cheap and the 4 prongs to wrap the coax cable around were annoying. But...a 5200 is a 5200 no matter how you look at it. Hope you get your's fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just for reference, this is what mine looks like. It's taken from an angle, but the right side has a notch on the same place.

In the Case of your Unit, it looks as though someone removed the cord holder Piece from the bottom. the ones with the four tabs were removable.

if you look closely you can see the holes where the clips from the cord holder are supposed to clip in to the case.

Just for reference, this is what mine looks like. It's taken from an angle, but the right side has a notch on the same place.

In the Case of your Unit, it looks as though someone removed the cord holder Piece from the bottom. the ones with the four tabs were removable.

if you look closely you can see the holes where the clips from the cord holder are supposed to clip in to the case.

Yeah, I guess there actually were four tabs attaching the piece I sent to madman. But I think when people were referring to "four tabs", they meant the one-piece bottoms with 4 projecting tabs molded in to restrain the wrapped cord as opposed to this 2 piece design which provides a continuous restraint around the entire cord wrap area. I think the case I sent to somebody else was the one piece bottom design. I don't have any pictures handy.