IGNORED

xbox breakaway cable help

Hitachi

Hello. I have a question. Will the breakaway cable from a wired 360 controller work with a regular xbox controller? I've seen pictures of the cable and it looks like you could take the original xbox controller and plug it into the thing. I'm hoping that it might for PC applications. Can someone test this, or has someone already?

Thanks

Hello. I have a question. Will the breakaway cable from a wired 360 controller work with a regular xbox controller? I've seen pictures of the cable and it looks like you could take the original xbox controller and plug it into the thing. I'm hoping that it might for PC applications. Can someone test this, or has someone already?

Thanks

Well I have two original Xbox controllers. They are USB even though they have the odd original xbox plug on the end of the breakaway cable. I cut two extra USB cables and soldered them to the xbox cables and they work fine on my PC. I don't see any reason why the 360 breakaway would not work with the original controller. It looks like it fits and it would be diabolical for MS to change the pinouts. If you really want to be sure and you have a multimeter, a continuity test would verify the cable is compatible.

Well I have two original Xbox controllers. They are USB even though they have the odd original xbox plug on the end of the breakaway cable. I cut two extra USB cables and soldered them to the xbox cables and they work fine on my PC. I don't see any reason why the 360 breakaway would not work with the original controller. It looks like it fits and it would be diabolical for MS to change the pinouts. If you really want to be sure and you have a multimeter, a continuity test would verify the cable is compatible.

Diabolical? Yes.

Out-of-character? No.

The cables aren't compatible. They look similar, but they won't fit together. To bad, I would love to use my old duke on the 360, it's so much more comfortable than anything I've come across on the 360.

You can hack the end off the original cable and wire it to work as a USB, and a computer will have no problem reading it, however, I imagine the 360 will not accept it.

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote here for just adding a usb connector to your original xbox controller. You can even splice into the cable rather than cutting it if you want to also retain the original connector.

I cut my cable, since my xbox is only used for XBMC, not gaming, and I only needed a 3-foot cable, not the 8-feet or however long the stock cable is.

You'll need drivers on the PC, available Here. It's problematic installing in Vista/7, but a workaround is Here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...