IGNORED

Atari VGM Player

miker

So, I've grab VGM Player (http://abbuc.de/~bunsen/VGMPlay.htmlVGM), some music from here http://www.smspower.org/Music/VGMs (thanks for pointing to this link).

And started to convert some music...

Here (in zip file) are 3 double density ATRs (with some simple loader) and a list with full filenames (for somebody who wants to make better-looking VGM-archive).

54 files in total.

Enjoy! icon_smile.gif

VGM.ZIP

Edited by miker
  • Like 2

So, I've grab VGM Player (http://abbuc.de/~bunsen/VGMPlay.htmlVGM), some music from here http://www.smspower.org/Music/VGMs (thanks for pointing to this link).

And started to convert some music...

Here (in zip file) are 3 double density ATRs (with some simple loader) and a list with full filenames (for somebody who wants to make better-looking VGM-archive).

54 files in total.

Enjoy! icon_smile.gif

cool...

I have one question to ABBUC: why program running on PC participate on software context for 8-bit Ataris? And other one: why programs (generated xex) participate in it, if it isn't games or utility, but only generate demo/intro? (for me it isn't real player - I can't load any music from VGM on Atari, I must generate one by one on PC severally. Why this VGM can participate on compo?). So?

Edited by Sikor

Yeah, that's true and very interesting fact that Windows application joins the contest. Never read the rules thoroughly but in my opionion the programs like MADS of G2F (or even RMT), could join the contest, too (?!?). We need a bit of explanation...

Yeah, that's true and very interesting fact that Windows application joins the contest. Never read the rules thoroughly but in my opionion the programs like MADS of G2F (or even RMT), could join the contest, too (?!?). We need a bit of explanation...

Nope, you need Chuck Norris to kick their ass ;)

Seriously tho, the rules and results seemed very random

I have one question to ABBUC: why program running on PC participate on software context for 8-bit Ataris? And other one: why programs (generated xex) participate in it, if it isn't games or utility, but only generate demo/intro? (for me it isn't real player - I can't load any music from VGM on Atari, I must generate one by one on PC severally. Why this VGM can participate on compo?). So?

Yes, that's right, Windows programs are not allowed to take part. And so the Windows program was not part of the contribution. It was an unrated addition.

Where to draw the line between demo and application? In our opinion it is an application, not only a demo. It is a universal player for SMS-Soundfiles and the player code is part of the generated executable. OK, you can't directly access the player via the atari, so this case is not undisputable. Maybe it were smarter to split player code and sounddata, but it was the decision of the author to make it this way and we had to make our decision ("our" is the organisation comitee CharlieChaplin, Wolfgang B. and me).

If you want to dispute the rules interpretation you are invited to become a member of ABBUC ;-) (with 32 EUR per year it is not that expensive, it covers not even the postage to send the magazines and stuff abroad)

Yes, that's right, Windows programs are not allowed to take part. And so the Windows program was not part of the contribution. It was an unrated addition.

O.K. That's clear

Where to draw the line between demo and application? In our opinion it is an application, not only a demo. It is a universal player for SMS-Soundfiles and the player code is part of the generated executable. OK, you can't directly access the player via the atari, so this case is not undisputable. Maybe it were smarter to split player code and sounddata, but it was the decision of the author to make it this way and we had to make our decision ("our" is the organisation comitee CharlieChaplin, Wolfgang B. and me).

Rules for the ABBUC-Software-Contest 2010 (short form):

everyone can participate

no demos, only games, apps and utils

must run on standard xl/xe

first release through ABBUC

previews and teasers are allowed

Note: this is a short summary of the contest rules, for more details read the disclaimer below.

Yours club, your rights. In my opinion is only demo - when I want hear other and other music, I must generate xex's on PCs, yes? In generate programs i can't load only music data, yes? So, in my opinion - it is only demo of player - simply, demo - not fully working aplication, yes? In that case - everyone can put prepared GIFs (for example) into Graph2Font and send You as "Gif Viewer" - this is same situation, yes? You can't load other pictures, but - you see one. So, in Your opinion - it is fully working apps like GifViewer (preparated gfx on PC, put it into xex to working with standard Atari). Nonsense.

Other way - it isn't "an universal player for SMS-Soundfiles" - it will be universal, when You'll can load SMS-Soundfiles directly on Atari, not on PC. As user I can't see what was made with sound data on PC? You want simple example for Atari? No problem - universal player is MD8 player by Pecuś (mod player, wchich use modify *mod files from 16 bit machines) or "sap player" by Epi. I can load (not all, yes - it is too complicate to some adresses on our machines) *sap files directly to my computer and play it. Yes, I know in this case, that it is real player, not demo. Music data are that same as at PC, ST, Amiga and other machines. But in VGM - I have not about it, every time player can be changed? Maybe Yes, maybe not. Nevermind.

it was the decision of the author to make it this way and we had to make our decision

Yes, you had. Right.

In my opinion - this tool is great as is, but - reading rules - it isn't participate in contest. Yes, I like this player - as sinles demos/intros, but - in any case - not as player/full working apss/utility for contest.

If you want to dispute the rules interpretation you are invited to become a member of ABBUC ;-) (with 32 EUR per year it is not that expensive, it covers not even the postage to send the magazines and stuff abroad)

Yes, it isn't much for year (theoretically in some case, never mind). But it means for me as: "If you don't pay as, f* you with your opinion". And, I think - many peoples think as I (maybe I wrong).

I like Abbuc with Abbuc History, but sometimes I think, that your rules are not even for all. One time You delete apps worked on other machines, other time not working on Atari apss take a part of contest. It really not clear. Harm... :(

Best regards for All Abbuc Members and peobles who participate in contest,

Pawel "Sikor" Sikorski

Have you seen the emoticon??

If you were right we wouldn't explain our decision at AtariAge...

Yes, I had. I think that this disscusion will be better move to this: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/171929-atari-vgm-player-demo-or-full-working-utilityapps/ topic. Yes, it great tools, but for PCs (like RMT, G2F), but finally product is only demo/intro, not fully working apps/utils to participate in ASC. But - as You wrote before - decision was yours.

Edited by Sikor