IGNORED

Detachable controllers for Intv 1?

SlowCoder

I know the first Intv didn't have detachable controllers.

Do those of you who have Intv 1 have any issues with this? If I wanted to make mine detachable, are there any issues I should be aware of? Seems like retrofitting the intv with DB9 connectors shouldn't be too big a deal.

I don't yet have my intv, so I'm conjecturing at this point.

It shouldn't be too much trouble to cut the cable and splice in a pair of male/female DB9 connectors. The only problem with that idea is that, if you want to coil up the cable underneath the controllers, the DB9 plugs might prevent the controllers from fitting together inside the console with the cable underneath them the way they used to.

I don't have my Intellivision I hooked up right now, but the hardwired controllers never posed any particular problem for me. I just set it up near my seat and stretched the A/V cable out to the television (which was the customary console setup in the late 70s), and I never really had to think about the fact that the controllers were hardwired.

I don't have my Intellivision I hooked up right now, but the hardwired controllers never posed any particular problem for me. I just set it up near my seat and stretched the A/V cable out to the television (which was the customary console setup in the late 70s), and I never really had to think about the fact that the controllers were hardwired.

This was the designed intent with the VCS, INTV, and CV consoles, Notice the lengthy RF cables on the consoles of that time period versus the shorter controller cables. Setting the console near you also allowed easier swapping out of game carts.

Modern game consoles make no sense. Even with wireless controllers, you have to walk over to the entertainment center to swap out game discs. What a hassle...

This was the designed intent with the VCS, INTV, and CV consoles, Notice the lengthy RF cables on the consoles of that time period versus the shorter controller cables. Setting the console near you also allowed easier swapping out of game carts.

Modern game consoles make no sense. Even with wireless controllers, you have to walk over to the entertainment center to swap out game discs. What a hassle...

I agree. I was talking about this in another thread earlier today, in fact. If you look at the depictions of living rooms or game rooms that appeared in advertisements of the late 70s and early 80s, you'll usually see that the console is placed on the floor (or, more frequently, on a coffee table) near where the players are sitting; the power cord is plugged in somewhere under the table, and the RF cord is the only one that is stretched across the room to the television. The video game organizers (or storage boxes) that several companies were making at that time, like the one pictured below, were obviously designed to be set up on a table:

3407244660_7827b7b702.jpg

To me, this idea makes a whole lot more sense than putting the console right next to the TV: it's easier to reach the console switches or to swap out cartridges if it's right next to you, and you don't have to extend the controller cords--which are moved around more often, more likely to trip people up, and harder to replace if they get damaged or worn out--all the way across the room. I'm not sure exactly when putting the console next to the TV became the "in" thing to do, but judging from the length of its controller cords, I suspect that the NES started that trend.

Not that big of a hassle, in my opinion. When I'm playing my Atari, I'm switching out the carts every few minutes.

But when I'm on my PS2, PS3 or Wii, I'm playing the games for much longer periods of time ... as in ... all night, or at least for an hour. And by the time I'm done playing that game, it's time for a break ... or sleep :P

And, maybe I'm spoiled, but I don't want to have to drag out my Atari, CV or IntV every time I want to play a game. I'd like to be able to leave it on its shelf. But I can't because I'm tied to it by the controller wires, or game switching. And I can't have wires dangling across my floor because I have kids running around, ready to trip over and yank the cable out of my console.

And, maybe I'm spoiled, but I don't want to have to drag out my Atari, CV or IntV every time I want to play a game. I'd like to be able to leave it on its shelf. But I can't because I'm tied to it by the controller wires, or game switching. And I can't have wires dangling across my floor because I have kids running around, ready to trip over and yank the cable out of my console.

Well, I think the idea was to leave it set up on the table instead of dragging it out each time. That's why the storage boxes (like the one pictured above) had smoked plastic lids: to protect the console when it wasn't being used. Remember that these were some of the first video game consoles ever made, and at that time, people typically didn't have multiples. It's easier to hide the wiring if you only have the RF cable going across the floor; it can be hidden underneath the carpet, or inside a piece of conduit. It's not so easy to do that with the controller cords.

Then again, if you have a small livingroom, I can see how leaving the console out permanently might be an inconvenience.

How many active conductors are in the controller cable?? I'm betting its more than four, but the idea of a quality retractable phone cable springs to mind. This might enable the controller to go back into it's little nest with no cord showing.

The Intellivision controllers use nine conductors: eight bits for data, plus common ground.

I'd like to be able to leave it on its shelf. But I can't because I'm tied to it by the controller wires, or game switching. And I can't have wires dangling across my floor because I have kids running around, ready to trip over and yank the cable out of my console.

But you are doing this when you drag the controller cables across the floor anyway. I see no difference in the logic. Either the kids unplug the RF cable from the switch box, or they rip the controller cables from the console. I would think there is a higher potential for damage to the console controller ports in the manner you describe as your optimal setup.

But I can't because I'm tied to it by the controller wires, or game switching.

Another thought: 2600 and CV are fixable because Sega and Atari both offered DB9 extension cords. If you want extra long controller cables, there you go. INTV, other than INTV 2, is a different beast because of internal controller connector ports. Yurkie offers cord straightening service for CV controllers. I wonder if he would do this for INTV? It couldn't be much different. Straightening out those coiled cords would have to increase the overall length by a factor of 1.5 minimum. Just a thought.

But I can't because I'm tied to it by the controller wires, or game switching.

Another thought: 2600 and CV are fixable because Sega and Atari both offered DB9 extension cords. If you want extra long controller cables, there you go. INTV, other than INTV 2, is a different beast because of internal controller connector ports. Yurkie offers cord straightening service for CV controllers. I wonder if he would do this for INTV? It couldn't be much different. Straightening out those coiled cords would have to increase the overall length by a factor of 1.5 minimum. Just a thought.

I have used Genesis extension controller cords on my INTV 2. They work quite well.

If you go to my profile you will see our TV set on a stand that was like a microwave cart and my Intellivision just sat on the bottom shelf. I can't remember exactly but i have a feeling my Intellivision just sat on the carpet when it was being used.

Edited by rgw825

Cord straightening, along with other mods, is a conundrum for me. While I appreciate the convenience of the mods (straightening, A/V mods) I'm also interested in keeping my stuff stock. Only if I had extras do I think I could bring myself to mod my originals.

I am first a gamer, and second a collector. But where modding is concerned, the collector part of me comes out.

Cord straightening, along with other mods, is a conundrum for me. While I appreciate the convenience of the mods (straightening, A/V mods) I'm also interested in keeping my stuff stock. Only if I had extras do I think I could bring myself to mod my originals.

I am first a gamer, and second a collector. But where modding is concerned, the collector part of me comes out.

Then why was the OP about making your Intellivision controllers detachable? Would that not require modification of your Intellivision console?

Because I waver back and forth. Do I want to do this, or do I not?

It's a way to learn about the equipment. It's looking into the possibilities of future projects.

If you're wondering if the time you spent replying in the thread was a waste of your time, I don't think so. You're helping me make decisions based on the experience of people who've had the equipment.

Besides that, it's all fun, cool and exciting! :)

Because I waver back and forth. Do I want to do this, or do I not?

It's a way to learn about the equipment. It's looking into the possibilities of future projects.

If you're wondering if the time you spent replying in the thread was a waste of your time, I don't think so. You're helping me make decisions based on the experience of people who've had the equipment.

Besides that, it's all fun, cool and exciting! :)

Yeah, kinda like me; I don't really care if it is kept all original, but I would like my inty to look original enough to have the cords hidden when not playing. If I can find a way to get longer cords and have them easily stowed beneath the controllers when not playing, Ill go for it. If not, then short-ass coily cords it is. Just a personal preference.

You could do what I did with my coffee table.

IMG_2889.jpg

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/168338-av-cables-through-the-basement/page__fromsearch__1

Wires are all in the basement along the ceiling.

And Yurkie (coleco guy) could probably straighten your cords, it adds a ton of length.

Edited by psquare75