IGNORED

How difficult is the Intellivision A/V mod?

Rev

I have seen the instructions on how to do it,but i havent used a soldering gun since i was a kid and i really need to do this mod on my main intellivision (and 2600 and colecovision).

So, is it really that hard for a non tech guy like me ? (although i am an electrician) :)

edit: i guess it isnt called the a/v mod but rather the composite mod according to this. My link

Edited by revolutionika

Rev, do you really need this mod, or just doing it kinda "because"?? The reason I ask is; I have only had a few weeks with my first Intellivision and I think the rf output is really, really good compared to other systems. Just curious as to what the main motivators are? The rf doesn't seem anywhere near as good on my Inty 2, so I may consider doing the mod there at the same time as renovating the beat-up controllers. Morgan

BTW: The connection points in the how-to look to be very accessible, compared to the 2600jr. - I think this one would be very easy for solder-noobs like me. Just practice some soldering on some junk electronics first.

Edited by Chuck D. Head

I third the RF option. I tried composite, and it wasn't nearly as good -- because it actually shows up the flaws in the video circuitry. Lots of ghosting.

With RF, using a heavily shielded cable, I get very little interference and the picture looks as good as composite -- without the heavy ghosting.

YMMV, of course.

I hate to pile on, but I've had the same experience with composite A/V upgrades for the Intellivision. I'm pretty sure that the Beeslife and 8BitDomain upgrade kits, as well as the free upgrade schematic that was available on the Intelliwiki, are in effect the exact same design. I installed the 8BitDomain version in my Intellivision II, and although I still use it, I would have stayed with RF if I had to do it over again. The video isn't much clearer than the RF output was, and there's also a bad ghosting problem which is especially noticeable in green and gray objects.

So, my recommendation: stick with RF until a better option comes along.

I hate to pile on, but I've had the same experience with composite A/V upgrades for the Intellivision. I'm pretty sure that the Beeslife and 8BitDomain upgrade kits, as well as the free upgrade schematic that was available on the Intelliwiki, are in effect the exact same design. I installed the 8BitDomain version in my Intellivision II, and although I still use it, I would have stayed with RF if I had to do it over again. The video isn't much clearer than the RF output was, and there's also bad ghosting problem which is especially noticeable in green and gray objects.

So, my recommendation: stick with RF until a better option comes along.

Probably because the RF cable on the Intellivision is so heavily shielded that the video is so clean. Both of my units have really heavy cables, a lot thicker than any RCA cable you can buy today. They're as heavy as the RF cable on my 4 port 5200, and that also carries power.

Edited by OldAtarian

Probably because the RF cable on the Intellivision is so heavily shielded that the video is so clean. Both of my units have really heavy cables, a lot thicker than any RCA cable you can buy today. They're as heavy as the RF cable on my 4 port 5200, and that also carries power.

I actually think I was using just a standard Atari RF cable when I had my Intellivision connected through the RF modulator. Those cables are certainly more heavily shielded than an off-the-shelf composite cable is nowadays, but nothing unusual. I've gotten much worse video from a stock Atari 2600 using that exact same cable.

Rev, do you really need this mod, or just doing it kinda "because"?? The reason I ask is; I have only had a few weeks with my first Intellivision and I think the rf output is really, really good compared to other systems. Just curious as to what the main motivators are? The rf doesn't seem anywhere near as good on my Inty 2, so I may consider doing the mod there at the same time as renovating the beat-up controllers. Morgan

BTW: The connection points in the how-to look to be very accessible, compared to the 2600jr. - I think this one would be very easy for solder-noobs like me. Just practice some soldering on some junk electronics first.

i just want a better signal, the picture quality is horrible.

i just want a better signal, the picture quality is horrible.

Ok, I wonder if it is something like my 2600 Jr with a bad solder connection at the rca jack or something simple. I guess the mod would bypass that particular problem though, but would suck to spend money you didnt need to. Morgan