IGNORED

DragonSaga

Ninjabba

Since day one that I've joined this forum I been wanting to see an RPG being released on the Lynx. I got impatient however, and me being a jobless programmer for a few months now, I started working on my own version. I wanted to surprise the community by releasing it out of the blue, but I underestimated the time it takes to develop (especially on your own with all the pitfalls), but I'm very eager to share some of the progress I've been making in the past 2 months. I'm developing it using the latest CC65 build, Karri's template and Lynxman's Flashcard. Towns, shops, random battles, status screens, dungeons & loot are implemented, but a lot of work still needs to be done. Currently I'm working on a save-feature, and I hope to release it on a cartridge in the near future (no date can be promised yet).

I thank the guys from the programming forum who are helping me out every time I have a question! Without them I would've abandoned the project already!

Here are some screenshots made in Handy:

post-22942-0-14898700-1302858967_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ninjabba
  • Like 15

Thanks for the nice replies :) I have to admit I spent an unhealthy amount of time programming this in the past 2 months, and I really need to focus on other things such as getting a job & graduation. But I found that programming/designing sprites on the Lynx is like playing with Lego-bricks, and I can't get enough of it lately.

Thanks for the nice replies :) I have to admit I spent an unhealthy amount of time programming this in the past 2 months, and I really need to focus on other things such as getting a job & graduation. But I found that programming/designing sprites on the Lynx is like playing with Lego-bricks, and I can't get enough of it lately.

That being said, go ahead and finish this game, THEN worry about real life... I think that might be a homebrew first! LOL Plus, there will be enough people that want to buy this to pay your bills for a while! :)

I'm working hard to get out this release somewhere next year, and I was already considering to create a demo for people to test/play when everything is working the way I intend it to be.

I do have a question which kind of struck me this weekend. Because part of my study is about search engine techniques I was googling the name of this thread yesterday to see if its getting in the top rankings out of curiosity. When I was thinking of a name for my game a while ago, I did some extensive searching to see if it wasn't already out there and I couldn't find any game with the name.

However, yesterday I bumped into this: http://playdragonsaga.com/

This MMO got launched on the 28th last month... I have no idea how this works for homebrew projects, but I guess this means I should think of another name...?

Well, I doubt that anyone will bother to sue you because of a homebrew selling a few hundred copies at best.

Especially since "Dragon" and "Saga" are actually pretty generic for the fantasy-genre. It´s like there is a pool of words like these, see also "Quest", "Fantasy", Legend" and others... and you can pretty much combine them in any way you want to come up with a generic fantasy title. I highly doubt that anyone would sue you over one of these combinations. It´s generic fantasy-words, and nothing really specific to their game.

You can leave it as it is, or change it if you want to play safe. Not a huge concern if you ask me. :)

EDIT:

Oh, and a question or two...

How many characters do you plan to have in battle? I gues you will have to change the stat-bar on the bottom, more specific the font used to display the stats for more than one character. But the gameplay screen and sprite size looks good for maybe 3 characters?

Also, will battles be strictly turn-based or will they have some active-time-element?

And... will you have animal friends in the game? (just kidding; but that was seriously one of the first questions asked when we announced Pier Solar^^)

Edited by 108 Stars

True that it is a generic name. I guess I'll just stick to it (and maybe something more interesting will pop into my mind).

I'm not sure about having a party or going for a single character. Most people probably will love a party, and with the size of the screen, a maximum of three would be the limit. But this makes it all the more complex to fit in memory at this point and since its my first attempt at a full game and an rpg, I try not to make it too complex if I ever want to release it. I'm considering some character selection to have multiple classes playable.

Sorry to announce that there will be no pets in the game :)