IGNORED

My skunkboard has a case now

Gunstar

After modding my Jaguar, It's gotten me in the mood to do some other projects on the shelf. this morning I modified a Checkered Flag cartridge for my Skunkboard. Just used an exacto blade to cut out the back. I'll probably paint this particulair cartridge red like my Jag, two-tone, leaving the handle black. I do need a new label for my Skunkboard cartridge now, though, has anyone made one I can download and print?

post-149-128913621426_thumb.jpg

post-149-128913622695_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

I do need a new label for my Skunkboard cartridge now, though, has anyone made one I can download and print?

Good job. I guess just cutting a rectangle out of the back of the cartridge would do fine. :)

Front label, I used the label off of the Skunkboard box, a bit of recycling and it looked great.

The guy doing the end labels I believe is doing the front label for the Skunkboard. (and a end label too).

I do need a new label for my Skunkboard cartridge now, though, has anyone made one I can download and print?

Good job. I guess just cutting a rectangle out of the back of the cartridge would do fine. :)

Front label, I used the label off of the Skunkboard box, a bit of recycling and it looked great.

The guy doing the end labels I believe is doing the front label for the Skunkboard. (and a end label too).

Thanks! I totally forgot about the skunkboard box label! I'll have to dig out that box.

Thanks! I totally forgot about the skunkboard box label! I'll have to dig out that box.

Edit: I took your advice, the Skunkboard box label is adequate for now. Thoug the only reason I used it was becuase I ended up with two Skunkboard boxes after non-working return, so I still have a good box left over. Pic below.

I still have to drill a whole in one end of the cart handle, so I can feed the USB cable through. And it may need additional cutting in the future if anything is ever made to make use of the other large USB ports, but I'm not cutting more until I have, in my hand, something that uses one or both of those ports.

post-149-128914214023_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

Kskunk posted a gif in one of the threads for the label on the box, and I printed that out. It looks pretty good: try searching for that.

Bigreddog is also planning on including a Skunk label in his next batch of 'beta' cart labels.

Showing how the front label of the box works, here are pictures of what I did (which was the first recorded pictures of a cased Skunkboard BTW...)

post-4709-12891991736_thumb.jpgpost-4709-128919918289_thumb.jpgpost-4709-128919919297_thumb.jpg

I had a little fun with Photoshop to see what it would be like to have a Skunkboard in a Battlesphere Gold cart. So here is what I found out taking the above pictures and merging them with my BSG cart pictures:

post-4709-128919927805_thumb.jpgpost-4709-128919929278_thumb.jpgpost-4709-128919931868_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got to use my Skunkboard 2 for the first time! It's been sitting in a box since I got it early this year. I didn't want to cut up a cart case so I desoldered (non-destructively) the unused JTAG header and USB plugs.

Zero damage to either side of the PCB. The USB plugs are reusable as well.

post-650-1290659147_thumb.jpgpost-650-129065915157_thumb.jpgpost-650-129065915536_thumb.jpg

post-650-129065915907_thumb.jpgpost-650-129065916305_thumb.jpgpost-650-129065916716_thumb.jpg

post-650-12906591708_thumb.jpgpost-650-129065917505_thumb.jpgpost-650-129065917851_thumb.jpg

post-650-129065918208_thumb.jpgpost-650-129065933692_thumb.jpgpost-650-129065934037_thumb.jpg

post-650-129065934403_thumb.jpg

Eventually I plan on removing the permanently wired cable, and putting a plug in place of the hole. This will work for now.

That's an idea, I had it myself, but with Murphy's Law, I decided against removing the "unused" ports. But thank's for doing it yourself, now I can finally expect something to be released that uses those ports as Murphy's Law comes knocking on your door! :thumbsup: :D

Edited by Gunstar

Beautiful work. One think Tursi mentioned once was how these boards run hot, some some additional ventilation might want to be considered.

But nice!!!

I said it was a concern because we never tested it. Plenty of people have logged plenty of time in shells now. ;)

• Like 1

That's an idea, I had it myself, but with Murphy's Law, I decided against removing the "unused" ports. But thank's for doing it yourself, now I can finally expect something to be released that uses those ports as Murphy's Law comes knocking on your door! :thumbsup: :D

Well, if any of those three ports are needed in the future, I'll just solder them back. I did not damage the USB ports when removing them. I must say, the PCB quality on this version of the Skunk is very nice.

Well, if any of those three ports are needed in the future, I'll just solder them back. I did not damage the USB ports when removing them. I must say, the PCB quality on this version of the Skunk is very nice.

I'm sure your job is professional, I'm just refering to having to solder them back in later as an additional pain, on top of taking them out, when they were put there for a reason. Maybe it won't ever be used, but then refer back to Murphy's Law.

• 1 month later...

Seriously considering sacrificing my Checkered Flag cart to do this. I got a SkunkBoard V2 last week, and it has gotten like no use since I don't want to pull my Jaguar out of the TV stand and over to my electrostatic safe mat every time I want to insert my SkunkBoard.

And I can't stand Checkered Flag.

Checkered Flag is a good choice... heck even Bubsy. Just get the Skunkboard cased so you can enjoy it more!

I finally got to use my Skunkboard 2 for the first time! It's been sitting in a box since I got it early this year. I didn't want to cut up a cart case so I desoldered (non-destructively) the unused JTAG header and USB plugs.

Zero damage to either side of the PCB. The USB plugs are reusable as well.

post-650-1290659147_thumb.jpgpost-650-129065915157_thumb.jpgpost-650-129065915536_thumb.jpg

post-650-129065915907_thumb.jpgpost-650-129065916305_thumb.jpgpost-650-129065916716_thumb.jpg

post-650-12906591708_thumb.jpgpost-650-129065917505_thumb.jpgpost-650-129065917851_thumb.jpg

post-650-129065918208_thumb.jpgpost-650-129065933692_thumb.jpgpost-650-129065934037_thumb.jpg

post-650-129065934403_thumb.jpg

Eventually I plan on removing the permanently wired cable, and putting a plug in place of the hole. This will work for now.

Kind of like my Skunk cases for my collection

gallery_23428_426_441580.jpg

Finally, a Checkered Flag cartridge that doesn't suck.

5301071852_4d20aa6b71_z.jpg

5301071806_b139724d01_z.jpg

I did it. I sacrificed my Checkered Flag cartridge for my SkunkBoard V2. It took some trial and error to get it just right. I made those diagonal cutouts for more finger room when inserting and removing the mini USB plug. There's plenty of airflow in case the board gets hot. I used a Dremel with a circular cutting tool and a large round sandpaper thing.

The notches in the PCB do fit the guide posts on the cartridge, but it's a very tight fit. You have to set it down flat the whole way, and that's really challenging. Once it's flat, you don't have to worry about breaking it by forcing it.

I had to retain the Checkered Flag artwork, though. I actually like it, despite how much I don't like the game. I don't know what I'm going to do for my SkunkBoard V3 next year, though. I don't yet have any other games that I abhor as much as Checkered Flag.

• Like 3

Kind of like my Skunk cases for my collection

gallery_23428_426_441580.jpg

Nice label. How did you mount the USB plug inside the cart?

I took a dremel tool and cut out the rectangle square. Then took a the usb cable that came with it cut it down to 3 inches. Spliced 2 inches of the cable to reveal the inside cables an striped about 4mm off the end of each and soldered to the contact of a Female USB Jack like this one http://www.amazon.com/Velleman-CC088B-Female-Single-Connector/dp/B001RXNV50

Finally a couple dabs of hot glue to hold the jack in place on the side and protect the soldier joints and a I closed her up. All 3 of my skunks are done this way. I sold one to a fellow member of AA last year also.

I took a dremel tool and cut out the rectangle square. Then took a the usb cable that came with it cut it down to 3 inches. Spliced 2 inches of the cable to reveal the inside cables an striped about 4mm off the end of each and soldered to the contact of a Female USB Jack like this one http://www.amazon.com/Velleman-CC088B-Female-Single-Connector/dp/B001RXNV50

Finally a couple dabs of hot glue to hold the jack in place on the side and protect the soldier joints and a I closed her up. All 3 of my skunks are done this way. I sold one to a fellow member of AA last year also.

Very nice. I'll eventually get around to putting a plug in mine.