IGNORED

Jaguar Unreleased Games Thread

The_Laird

Ohhh, i dunno, i'm just playing at it.

Could'nt find the information on missing ATARI games i wanted, so you know how it is, went looking for people that might be able to answer the questions, found likes of Alexander, Les, good few others, put the questions to them, got replies, then , chortle, what was i thinking...thought i'd share it with an Atari community, on an Atari forum...

Knew i should stormed in here, blew the bloody doors clean off with a BEHOLD!!! I have coded an A8 game (my 1st ever) that pushes the hardware beyond the levels of what the human mind can fathom (and it has ZERO FLICKER!).

I just cannotshow you sweet F**K ALL of it, as the cat ate my youtube channel, still please send money to my Nigerian off shore account at......

It'd all been bollox, but by god i'd have gotten athread going.Sadly i went with option B:Updates to missing games...

Next time eh? always next time....

And i mentioned Amiga Magic Carpet, well anyone with a working search engine could have turned C.U's look at it (even though it looks like they were using existing PC screens), it's HERE:

http://amr.abime.net/review_28643

Claims (and i say again CLAIMS) after put the CD32 version between 20-30% complete and even using the Akiko chip they only got a frame rate of between 5-8 FPS out of it. There was also talk of a bare bones A1200 AGA version (plain polys etc) only 10% complete.

.Far more Amiga (and probably CD32 owners) out there i guess than Jaguar VCD owners so like i say i GUESS it only got as far as proposal only, i'm using the canned A1200/CD32 versions to try and give reasoning behind my assumption.

I also mentioned ATD talking about Atari texture-mapping an in house game (which was in response to them seeing 3DO Shockwave) interview with EDGE, can dig out exact details if people really want.

:-)

Enough proof yet to wait till ST Gamer comes out and you'll see WHO i interviewed?

Final word con it:The only time i ever (personally) saw Peter Molyneux comment on the Jaguar was when it 1st launched, he said it was a nice machine, but needed more Ram as what it had would cause a headache for programmers.I personally never heard him or his studio ever officially annouce Magic Carpet.

So i'm adding that to the above, plus fact no-ones ever seemed to have seen any code and going with it probably never even got started.But 'trust me' i have looked long and hard to uncover anything to say different.

If it's out there, i leave it to you good people to find and post updates on it, just as i have with my findings.It's the way these threads should work:Updates when new material found...

@NeoGeoNinja:Well, if you honestly think all my responses have been 100% serious then nothing i can say is going to change that, nor would i even attempt to try.Thing with all this 'who's Lost Dragon, is it *****? it's (sadly) not the 1st time it's happened, it was cleared up months ago in the Atari Gamer thread, so to see it rear it's head again, sadly see's a small % of this community, playing into the hands of certain ex-posters.

You talk of me going off in the deep end, which is great, thing is, whilst i'm deep under water here, i've kept adding to the threads, created new ones, joined in the discussions, given links to material people might not otherwise of seen, hey even been thanked for it by people from the community.

Does'nt strike me much as an 'attack' as i'm what 'damaging' Atari Age by giving it information it did'nt previousily have?

Perhaps you might like to check out a few other threads i've posted in, before joing me in the deeper water...

To me, it's really quite straight forward, there's 'history' on here between Atari Age and He Who Shalt Not Be Named, but sorry, that's nothing i was part of, nor wish to drag kicking and screaming into the light.

The vast majority of my time here has been fantastic, i was'nt sure how updating old threads would go down, know it's commonly frowned apon, but vast majority seemed to like geting new updates, few people learnt of new A8 and 7800 titles to add to a M.I.A list etc, good discussions on AVP, can you trust reviews?, put the topic of possible Rescue on Fract. II? out there and yes, updated status on good few M.I.A Jaguar games, so community (hopefully) has benifited.

The is this *****? under a new name fiasco, well this is the 2nd time that's occurred from this community, so understandably, it's wearing real thin the 2nd time around for myself.I've had to give the MODS references fer blummin hecks sake...

:-( Now i cannot even edit an earlier post to say i did'nt mean to ruffle any feathers?

Ok, new post then.

Ok, clearly some miss-understandings here, i'm not the Bogeyman returned, Alberts even checked my I.P details etc (1st forum that's happened), sorry if my posts upset anyone, i'm just tired.Come off night shifts, it's bllody hot, humid etc, not that's any excuse.I was'nt 'keen' on either (there was earlier post, but MODs removed) which kinda implied i might be someone else, but it's never been my intent to 'Attack' the community, just to share info i'd spent months picking up.

I'm happy to put it down to a miss-understanding and keep adding to community here,.

Edited by Lost Dragon

To me, it's really quite straight forward, there's 'history' on here between Atari Age and He Who Shalt Not Be Named, but sorry, that's nothing i was part of, nor wish to drag kicking and screaming into the light.

The vast majority of my time here has been fantastic, i was'nt sure how updating old threads would go down, know it's commonly frowned apon, but vast majority seemed to like geting new updates, few people learnt of new A8 and 7800 titles to add to a M.I.A list etc, good discussions on AVP, can you trust reviews?, put the topic of possible Rescue on Fract. II? out there and yes, updated status on good few M.I.A Jaguar games, so community (hopefully) has benifited.

The is this *****? under a new name fiasco, well this is the 2nd time that's occurred from this community, so understandably, it's wearing real thin the 2nd time around for myself.I've had to give the MODS references fer blummin hecks sake...

Rescue on Fractalus 2 what???

Waterworld:Never started (interviewed certain person for ST Gamer

Are we talking about the game in general, or just it's implementation of the game on Jaguar (I assume). Not sure what would take to have it ported... but it was a pretty good game for the PC from what I remember. I've got it on CD, but just haven't played it in like almost a decade.

Actually looking at bigger picture (and i've brought this up with Albert) 1 reason people like myself are 'newbies' and have low post counts, could well be some of the reactions we get, when we do try our humble best to provide solid answers or updates to the question of'What ever happened to...?' most replies have been great, people thanked me for Chronicles Of Cute, Technocop etc, which is great, it makes you feel part of the community and you've helped said community.

I realize this isn't overwhelmingly constructive... but introversion on a video game forum (especially one for a vintage system) is pretty common. Introverted people tend to have a somewhat sarcastic outlook on life, and often use arrogance or condescension as a cover for their personal insecurities. What does that all mean? People here can be total dicks when something triggers their odd and aspergic temperament. Bottom line, don't feed the old farts on here that get bent out of shape about the dumbest things (not pointing fingers, didn't even bother to read who was being mean).

@Lynxpro:I managed to track down CD32 coder of Gunship 2000 via his P.R agent (suppose i'll have to name colour of socks he waswearing to validate me claims at this rate :-) ) who passed my questions and email details onto him, said he'd reply..never did (sob, story of my life...)

Waterworld-Ocean seemed to hand out to different companies for different versions, i seem to recal System 3 getting MD/SNES versions (in contact with them at present, but still no sign of an interview) and i know Playstation version popped up in Playstation Plus, think (Interplay?) had said it was being taken back to the drawing board for Re-working.

Well, I guess that answers my first question.

Anyway, I would love to have one of those early simulators on the Jaguar. Something like M1-Tank or Gunship 2000 would be awesome on the Jaguar...

• Like 2

@Lynxpro:Ref:Rescue on Fractalus 2 what??? -See my Mists Of Xenon thread in the Atari 8 Bit section.I posted up the news snippet i had, in hope the good folk on here might be able to shed more light on it.I've never encountered anything else on it in UK magazines...

As for Waterworld, yep whilst i've been able to track down who i think handled the SNES/MD versions and found magazine article hinting what happened to the PS1 version, chap i interviewed regarding the Jaguar version said it was talked about, but is very doubtful it ever got beyond that, plus i've never seen a studio or developer said to be 'handling' the Jaguar version.
As/when i get any more info, i'll post it up.
Sent out a stack of emails for potential future interviews, just waiting on replies, plus replies to questions sent to another key Atari person of old, IF he ever answers them, been 2 months now.

And i mentioned Amiga Magic Carpet, well anyone with a working search engine could have turned C.U's look at it (even though it looks like they were using existing PC screens), it's HERE:

http://amr.abime.net/review_28643

Claims (and i say again CLAIMS) after put the CD32 version between 20-30% complete and even using the Akiko chip they only got a frame rate of between 5-8 FPS out of it. There was also talk of a bare bones A1200 AGA version (plain polys etc) only 10% complete.

Magic Carpet ? On a Jaguar ? What are you smoking ? That was a truly next-gen game running on 386DX40 Mhz, 4 MB RAM. To get a sky textured (plus few more sounds), you needed to double that for 8 MB.

Now, of course, we are not questioning, if just a Motorola CPU could handle the game. It couldn't. That's about as realistic as getting Gears Of War running on Jaguar.

No combination of OP / Blitter / GPU - at those frequencies the Jaguar was shipped with - could give you Magic Carpet as we know it from PC.

Have you ever looked at the map in Magic Carpet ? Did you notice there is up to a hundred entities flying through the map ? You think GPU could do that in real-time ? I'm not talking about rasterizing or anything - just processing the pathfinding algorithms for all of the hundred entities (all the flocking and area pathfinding) - without any rasterizing at all.

Now, on top of that, you would need a - REALLY - REALLY BRUTALLY OPTIMIZED- physics engine - since when you downgrade a castle -> Boom - there goes about a 25-50 spheres, each following the terrain properly.

You think the GPU could run the simulation of just THAT single event ? How about throwing in the load of -real-time- terrain deformation through the many spells that deform the terrain, up to 10 screens away from you ? And if you happen to be at that spot, then you can see tens of mana spheres falling out of enemies, buildings and other stuff. All nicely following the real-time deformed terrain.

Of course, in the middle of all of that above, you can freely burn a forest with tens of trees, and if an unlucky flock of bees happens to be above them, then there goes another 10-20 mana spheres, with their own physics simulation.

The fully-textured mapped terrain, nicely reflecting in the water, alongside the 30-50 sprites is really merely an icing on the topping here.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you could get a pretty-realistic looking Gears-Of-War clone running on the Jaguar (with appropriately downscaled polygon counts and texture resolution). That's easily - AT LEAST- an order-of-magnitude less computationally intensive an undertaking than a Magic Carpet.

Whoever coded the basic engine of Magic Carpet, capable of running on a a 386 DX 40 Mhz, is easily an equivalent of John Carmack (or better). But on Jaguar ? I'll believe it's possible the moment I will see Quake 1 running on Atari 800 XL at Gr.15....

If Carmack said the Jaguar was equal to a 486 at 66Mhz in processing power then it should be able to run a game coded for a 386 at 40Mhz easily.

I never heard that quote. Got some link at hand ?

Now that you mention 486 DX-2 66 MHz, I am actually confused - whether at the time of playing MC1 I had 386DX40 or 486 DX-2 66. Which is quite a difference in performance - but since it was ~quarter century ago - only god knows....

Either way, extracting raw power from Jaguar that has 2 RISCs, 1 CISC and few additional chips can be hardly defined as 'easy' - especially compared to simple coding in Assembler on 486, where you did not really have to worry about the proper syncing of all chips - not to mention that writing AI / pathfinding routines using RISC. Not saying it's impossible, just bloody more timeconsuming....

Either way, you do bring an interesting point - I never thought of Jag as a rough equivalent of 486. Theoretically, the pure MIPS numbers might be comparable (gotta do that at some point in future), but their obtainability is at the very least questionable....

There is no way that would have been true in 1994.

Carmack did say via twitter "For the same given paper spec, a console will deliver twice the performance of a PC, and a PC will deliver twice the performance of a mobile part."

• Like 2

Quake I would like to see on the Jag. I believe it could be done without losing too much, with a little creative programming. I have it for N64 and it doesn't really impress or tax the system, graphically as it were. On the other hand, Quake II is one of the best looking games on the N64 and I don't believe it could be done on the Jag. Maybe with very creative programming, and only in a gimped, awful to play version, like Wolf 3D on the SNES.

Quake on the Jag though.....daydreams...

There was a will. It was called "Lobotomy", and "The Sega Saturn"

The way didn't turn out so well, unfortunately. On superior hardware, to boot.

Disagree personally. I think Quake on Saturn was a REALLY solid effort myself. Probably would have been even better had it actually reached the PS1...

Quake I would like to see on the Jag. I believe it could be done without losing too much, with a little creative programming. I have it for N64 and it doesn't really impress or tax the system, graphically as it were. On the other hand, Quake II is one of the best looking games on the N64 and I don't believe it could be done on the Jag. Maybe with very creative programming, and only in a gimped, awful to play version, like Wolf 3D on the SNES.

Quake on the Jag though.....daydreams...

What? Quake on the N64? I had an N64 several years ago, but sold it with a bunch of games, just really didn't have too much of an interest in it. Don't get me wrong, I love my 8-bit, and the SNES... never had a game cube... but the N64 just didn't do much for me. But ouch... I've got to look it up...

Oh dude... just looked it up, it's pretty bad...

I gotta disagree about the Sega Saturn though, I thought it was a pretty awesome game on the Saturn... it's been a while since I played it on the PC, but I didn't really see any perceivable difference between the PC and the Saturn, except perhaps resolution...

Damn... there's absolutely no question... the Saturn version is FAAAR superior... I mean, it's no contest.