IGNORED

TRS-80 CoCo 2 troubleshooting

Desfeek

Hey there Atariage,

Today a buddy of mine got a large lot of free Video Game stuff. We had just completed a trade (got my Mean Santa 2600 cart!), and he said that he'd give me something out of the lot just for funsies (YES, FUNSIES). Out of everything he had gotten, he decided he would part with a loose Radio Shack TRS-80 Color Computer 2, and I was ecstatic to take it :)

He said the guy he'd gotten it from said it worked, but I had to test it myself. Since it came loose with no cords, I grabbed a working NES RF cable and hooked it up to my TV. Success! A bootscreen! However, the picture is insanely fuzzy...I opened it up and dusted, poked around, and saw nothing too out of the ordinary - yet, I am no expert.

I guess my question is, does anyone have any suggestions on fixing a fuzzy RF connection on a CoCo 2? The cable is fine, the computer boots fine, the keyboard is fine, but I have a fuzzy picture. Is this fixable? Or is my free CoCo kaput? Thanks for any information you can share!

Hey there Atariage,

Today a buddy of mine got a large lot of free Video Game stuff. We had just completed a trade (got my Mean Santa 2600 cart!), and he said that he'd give me something out of the lot just for funsies (YES, FUNSIES). Out of everything he had gotten, he decided he would part with a loose Radio Shack TRS-80 Color Computer 2, and I was ecstatic to take it :)

He said the guy he'd gotten it from said it worked, but I had to test it myself. Since it came loose with no cords, I grabbed a working NES RF cable and hooked it up to my TV. Success! A bootscreen! However, the picture is insanely fuzzy...I opened it up and dusted, poked around, and saw nothing too out of the ordinary - yet, I am no expert.

I guess my question is, does anyone have any suggestions on fixing a fuzzy RF connection on a CoCo 2? The cable is fine, the computer boots fine, the keyboard is fine, but I have a fuzzy picture. Is this fixable? Or is my free CoCo kaput? Thanks for any information you can share!

What exactly does the screen look like? I use this http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103471 to hook my CoCo2 up to my tv and it seems fine.

Hey there Atariage,

What exactly does the screen look like? I use this http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103471 to hook my CoCo2 up to my tv and it seems fine.

It has the boot screen, just very fuzzy with scanlines running up and down the screen. Switching to channel 4 makes the scanlines even more prominent. I don't think it has to do with the cable, I've heard other users have had success with NES RF adapters and this one works fine with my NES.

Nevermind, that is the issue. I am obviously pretty new to the vintage computing scene, and didn't realize the NES RF cable alone wasn't going to work. I am going to get me one of those tomorrow and I will be all set. Thanks!

Edited by Desfeek