IGNORED

Ghostbusters II hack

dr. kwack

I used to play this game on my C64 and was surprised to find out several years back that it was ported to the 2600. I never enjoyed this one as much as the first (that goes for game and movie) but I must say that the 2600 version seemed really rushed. Considering that the first game was pretty decent on the 2600, this one's lackluster graphics (and lack of the final museum invasion screen- even in a watered down form) was a downer.

I took Thomas Jentasch's NTSC ROM of GB II and attempted to make it look more like its computer counterparts. Using the following youtube vids as reference (my C64 is long gone), I resculpted the following on the Van Horne scene...

Stantz is no longer wearing a hat. He is also reshaped a bit. If anyone wants to take a shot at recoloring him, be my guest.

The vertically rising ghost was revised to look more like the computer version (instead of a Charlie Brown "sheet ghost")

In the status screen, I narrowed the cable strength graphic. I also redisgned the bomb icon so it didn't look so much like the particle thrower icon.

I changed the "pitchfork" (which was supposed to be a long arm reaching out) to a simple profile style ghost.

Future corrections: I want to change the "courage potion" to look more like a beaker. I really dislike the sawing hand so I may reshape it.

The font may be redone to look like the computer version.

I need to play King Atari's Easier version to get to the Statue of Liberty sequence.

Feel free as always to bend, fold, and mutilate.

gb2test3.bin

• 8 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hiya Jack- I just started up on this again. I've shortened the outcroppings on the Van Horne a bit to make the Libby phase easier to get to.

I managed to change a few ghosts and make Stantz's costume the color I want but am having a terrible time finding the color of the walls (want to get rid of green and change them to brick red) and whatever that little green line over Stantz's head is supposed to be I want to use as his hair. Been looking and can't find 'em. Can anyone help?

gb2 new.bin

Edited by dr. kwack
left off bin and forgot a few details

theres a 2nd level to it?!?!?! i just watched a video?  we cant hack the 2nd level out in a sepearte rom can we? i mean i dont wanna cheat or anything or destroy the fun, but i mean hell its so impossible itd be fun to rock that intersting looking shooter level- 

Edited by chewy

8 hours ago, chewy said:

theres a 2nd level to it?!?!?! i just watched a video?  we cant hack the 2nd level out in a sepearte rom can we? i mean i dont wanna cheat or anything or destroy the fun, but i mean hell its so impossible itd be fun to rock that intersting looking shooter level- 

That’s what I’ve always wanted or just another game variation that would allow you to go directly to level 2 “Broadway,” kind of like how Mash lets you skip to the operation level.  

the broadway level is actually fun although still way to hard.  

8 hours ago, chewy said:

Chewy, check out this hack from Atariage hack page.  It makes it much easier to get to Broadway.  

https://atariage.com/hack_page.php?SystemID=2600&SoftwareHackID=126

48 minutes ago, chewy said:

oh ive tried that one and its still impossible for me lol but on the one above i lasted the longest?!!

I’ve been playing on the Retron 77 and using the save feature I can get pretty far.  That broadway level is pretty difficult but fun.  

I’m thinking Broadway would work better as a side scrolling space invaders game.  It sure is pretty with that Activision sunset.

• 2 weeks later...

OK finally some time for a few more tweaks...

Re-did the cable meter so it looks like a cable. Also changed all the ghosts again. Not much to work with there.

It is looking a bit better although the game still is pretty meh.

I guess the only other changes I would like to make are the ghosts in level 2 (and that's easy) and colors of the torch and Libby's hand. The flame is fine but I want the hand and torch to be authentic pale green colors and I would love to reshape the hand so it doesn't look like a hamburger bun. I can find the torch and given time the colors for it, but I'm not sure about that hand...

New GB2.bin

OK! I found Libby's torch and hand. She is now Statue of Liberty green! The ghosts look about as good as they can. I have changed the font a bit and unless someone can modify this to work on a two button control pad so you don't have to use the select switch to cycle thru weapons on the first level,  this is as close to the PC versions as you will get on the 2600. Enjoy!

Ghostbusters II revised.bin

• Like 1

Thanks! Actually, the first level isn't as tough as you think once you figure it out. You have to go down 89 meters total. Always grab the courage elixir and PKR bombs You can ignore shields and proton power ups. Keep your weapon on PKR bombs and watch out for the ghost that chews the cable. When he appears stop moving, press the fire button and push up. That will destroy him. That takes practice.

Watch the indicator above your depth meter as it will show you what items (the little white squares/rectangles) you are passing on the ledges in the shaft. They are always in the same order. Once you get all three scoop pieces make a bee line for the bottom. When you hear constant beeping you are scooping.

Level 2 is still hard as hell.

Give my version of the manual a read. It helps understand what is going on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2020 at 6:35 PM, dr. kwack said:

OK! I found Libby's torch and hand. She is now Statue of Liberty green! The ghosts look about as good as they can. I have changed the font a bit and unless someone can modify this to work on a two button control pad so you don't have to use the select switch to cycle thru weapons on the first level,  this is as close to the PC versions as you will get on the 2600. Enjoy!

Ghostbusters II revised.bin 16 kB · 38 downloads

Very cool! I loved the idea of a Ghostbusters video game for the Atari, but wasn't impressed with the official version. This sounds like a much better game.