IGNORED

Time Lost

Opry99er

So I had an opportunity to go and play with my gear at my sister's house today... It's pretty rare that I get the opportunity to mess with my gear, so I was pretty excited. =)

b89720da.jpg

I went through a couple boxes of my undocumented stuff and found some very cool books which I put on one of my three shelves.

39db03a2.jpg

I found one book in particular that really interested me... A book called "Time Lost." It's a comic book/novella about a space journey that goes bad.

286b0730.jpg

f6c76b80.jpg

I looked deeper, and each chapter of the novella is followed by a TI program listing!

3fb6fed1.jpg

So, I read through it and determined that I haven't seen any of these programs online anywhere... I haven't even seen one of these books before. Does anyone know anything about these graphic TI program comic/novellas? It seems like a fantastic way to do a release... I found it very inspirational. =) Anyway, here you go... I haven't had time to type any of these games in yet, but I imagine they're pretty basic... (pun)

Anyway, this is what I wanted to share. =)

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 1

So I was Searching for information on this book on Google, and NOTHING. I searched on the OLUG and on wiki... There is nothing anywhere. So--- I'm guessing nobody else has one of these? It looks slickly produced, so I imagine there were quite a few made.... But not finding any info is vexing me... Are there other books in this series?

So I was Searching for information on this book on Google, and NOTHING. I searched on the OLUG and on wiki... There is nothing anywhere. So--- I'm guessing nobody else has one of these? It looks slickly produced, so I imagine there were quite a few made.... But not finding any info is vexing me... Are there other books in this series?

It appears that these books were made for a variety of platforms including the VIC 20, C64, Atari and Timex-Sinclair. Amazon actually has a copy of the TS version on sale. The TI version seems to be pretty rare, so I think you have a very nice find here. If you can find someone to scan the book into PDF, that would be awsome :thumbsup:

I've had a couple of those before, and have one on my shelf now. I think I may own the Vic 20 one as well. I believe it was intended to be a series, but like so many 1983 things, fizzled after the first one. I was thinking of letting my son take a whack at it as he worked on his programming skills, but after a brief flare of interest he got bored and hasn't wanted to work on it as much lately, so we never did type the programs in. Definitely a cool concept though, and right in line with the "type in and run" mindset of the day.

It's not a kids' thing, but I have a really good book by Tim Hartnell about creating adventure games on your computer -- it has a few different adventures that you build onto, map out an area, add treasures, weapons, etc and then run. The last one is fairly complex, though its commands basically end up being moving in a direction, (f)ight or ®un, picking up treasures and taking inventory. One far-off project idea of mine is to enter the game code as-is, then trick it out and make a much more involved adventure out of it.

LOVE old computer books. So much cool knowledge locked away, of interest to so few... :)

I own a scanner, on my all-in-one printer, that I have yet to fire up and try out. Unfortunately, the best way to get a good scan would be to cut the binding so the pages could lay flat. I'd be willing to do that if I found another copy (actually, I think they were going fairly cheap on Amazon, since I don't think anyone knew they existed...). Let me try to scare up another copy and if I can, I'll sacrifice one for a good scan.

• 10 months later...

Thanks OX, I was going to post that link. I saw the book the other day on that site. I didn't know what it was and I was short on time, so I didn't download it. The books that I did download from the site were good quality.

To any one else thinking about scanning books, check out the open source book scanner. It is very cool and I'm working on a setup for myself. Vorticon, that magazine article I "scanned" for you a few weeks ago was actually imaged with my digital camera. It let me keep the pages flat and not hurt the magazine. It was also faster than a scanner.

http://www.diybookscanner.org/

Thanks OX, I was going to post that link. I saw the book the other day on that site. I didn't know what it was and I was short on time, so I didn't download it. The books that I did download from the site were good quality.

To any one else thinking about scanning books, check out the open source book scanner. It is very cool and I'm working on a setup for myself. Vorticon, that magazine article I "scanned" for you a few weeks ago was actually imaged with my digital camera. It let me keep the pages flat and not hurt the magazine. It was also faster than a scanner.

http://www.diybookscanner.org/

This looks like fun! Certainly seems better than using my standard flatbed scanner...