IGNORED

Simple Fix for My Intellivision

tz101

I have this Intellivision I system I got from Craigslist about a year ago, and it has been sporadic in its dependability. When I went to buy it from this guy, we were unable to test it because he did not have the RFU switch box. After getting it home, I found that it gave me a black screen at bootup and would not go to the game title screens. After taking the system apart and cleaning the cartridge slot with alcohol and a toothbrush, it worked fine. Fast forward a few months, and it was back to the familiar black screen again. I took it apart tonight and used electronic parts cleaner on the on-off switch, then moved the switch back and forth rapidly. Presto, the thing is fixed. Anyone else seen this type of issue before?

I have this Intellivision I system I got from Craigslist about a year ago, and it has been sporadic in its dependability. When I went to buy it from this guy, we were unable to test it because he did not have the RFU switch box. After getting it home, I found that it gave me a black screen at bootup and would not go to the game title screens. After taking the system apart and cleaning the cartridge slot with alcohol and a toothbrush, it worked fine. Fast forward a few months, and it was back to the familiar black screen again. I took it apart tonight and used electronic parts cleaner on the on-off switch, then moved the switch back and forth rapidly. Presto, the thing is fixed. Anyone else seen this type of issue before?

I have. My solution is to pull the cart out of the slot slightly and reboot. Sometimes when you put the cart all the way in it doesn't start up for some reason. I'm not really sure what the problem is (tarnished pins on the cart maybe?) but it works whenever I get a black screen at powerup.