IGNORED

7800 HSC Season 3 Round 6 Robotron 2084

roadrunner

robotron.jpg

I'm calling it a night, consider it paused.

EDIT:

robotron2.jpg

15.5m @ wave 499.

Just for clarity's sake, the rules are intermediate (default settings), correct?

WOW!! 15.5 Million!! :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Yeah, intermediate default settings.

So this game doesn't have an 8th digit in the scoreboard?

So your score rolled around 9,999,900

How many hours did that take?

WOW!! 15.5 Million!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

The record on Twin Galaxies is 32 million but that's on the actual 7800 hardware. They don't have a scoreboard listing for emulation (at least on this title).

Yes, the score rolls over at 10 million. It's roughly 3 million per 100 waves. I didn't really time it but when I get back to continuing I'll check it.

On another note my 7800 collection is brand new. I just restored my second console but I don't have Robotron yet. I'd like to see if I could match this with hardware.

• Like 1

WOW!! 15.5 Million!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

The record on Twin Galaxies is 32 million but that's on the actual 7800 hardware. They don't have a scoreboard listing for emulation (at least on this title).

Yes, the score rolls over at 10 million. It's roughly 3 million per 100 waves. I didn't really time it but when I get back to continuing I'll check it.

On another note my 7800 collection is brand new. I just restored my second console but I don't have Robotron yet. I'd like to see if I could match this with hardware.

Cool, :cool: Great score BTW. :thumbsup:

On the 2600 HSC, all rolled scores are tied for first. That's a good rule to follow.

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

He should get credit for his score not 9,999,999. The game didn't end like Laser Blast or Monaco GP where the scores end at !!!!!! and 9999 respectively.

Under those 2600 HSC rules, players have no incentive (in regard to the HSC point system) to go beyond 9,999,999. Players should be encouraged to push the scores up and there should be no ceiling on how high you can score barring instances like Laser Blast or Monaco GP where it's a limitation within the game itself.

Someone spending 4 hours to score 15 million is not equal to someone scoring 10 million points. That's just not right.

On the Arcade/MAME HSC, players are encouraged to score as many points as possible. And that's a good rule to follow.

Give me rep points if you think his score should be logged as 15+ million...

Edited by rmaerz
  • Like 1

No way I'm beating that before monday, that's for sure. :)

And so I'll just be happy with what I managed to get so I can try to work on my other projects. ;)

I -will- play some more robotron between now and monday all the same so I might end up posting another score, but my average game score falls in the 1.6-1.9 mil range now so the odds of that are iffy at best.

A rolled game is conquered. It now becomes a game of endurance, not skill. Let's not have the incentive to play 4... 8 ... 12 ... 24 hour games.

That's a blanket statement. I don't call rolling Space Invaders on the 2600 a shift from skill to endurance.

Let the player decide how long they want to play a game. No other scoring entity caps a player's score simply because they rolled it. This procedure isn't even documented in this HSC's rules. So with that, rules are being made up as the season progresses.

I fail to see the logic behind this barring a compromise based on an underlying suspicion that the player is lying about their score.

I'm just bringing up the 2600 HSC rules. You guys can do what ever you want. I'm just a part time player here. In the 2600 HSC, that is a rule, and everybody is cool with it. Quote below is from the 2600 HSC rules...

Q: I rolled the score! What happens now?

A: Congratulations! Unfortunately, this leads to a bit of a problem in the way all this works. You see, the power of the Atari 2600 is rather limited, which means that the games can only get so fast. Since the speed of the game is limited, this often means that the difficulty of the game is limited as well. Once someone gets good enough at the games highest difficulty level, it's entirely possible for them to play (for all intensive purposes) forever! On a number of weeks, we've run into the problem that a number of people were good enough to do this. The problem then is how to decide who gets the #1 place. I don't want to force people to play a game for 10 hours straight just so that they can roll the score that one extra time to get a few extra points. I want people to enjoy the game, not to get sick of it. So, in the case that multiple people are skilled enough to roll the score, then their scores will just be listed as the maximum it can go before rolling, and everyone who does so will just be tied for first place. The person with the highest score who didn't roll the score will be considered as 2nd place and so on. If appropriate, this rule may be waived for certain games (for example, games that roll at 10,000 rather than 1,000,000). However, even though you won't get any extra points for obscenely huge scores, I highly encourage you to record the game and send it to the people at Twin Galaxies! I'm sure they'd love to see it!

I didn't mean to start a ruckus. Robotron has always been one of my favorite games....

photo.jpg

Although to answer Zoyx's question, I did not use joysticks, I used the keyboard. After reading the rules and seeing no other requirements I simply started playing. In all honesty, I never considered the impact that might make. If there's an unwritten rule that requires original controls to be in the loop, I'll abide by that. So if anyone takes exception to playing without joysticks, consider me withdrawn.

• Like 1

Although to answer Zoyx's question, I did not use joysticks, I used the keyboard. After reading the rules and seeing no other requirements I simply started playing. In all honesty, I never considered the impact that might make. If there's an unwritten rule that requires original controls to be in the loop, I'll abide by that. So if anyone takes exception to playing without joysticks, consider me withdrawn.

It's OK to use a keyboard. There's nothing in the rules against that. :)

So if anyone takes exception to playing without joysticks, consider me withdrawn.

No, I was actually just looking for pointers! :) I have been using two of the European stock joypads and that seems to work fairly well. But I'll have to start trying the emulated version with keyboard control.

As to whether or not to consider the full score versus "rolled score", I'm new to these board and the HSC in particular so my opinion isn't worth much. But I guess I kind of agree with the statement about not killing oneself for the absolute highest score. On the other hand, it is indeed unfair to a guy who _did_ spend four hours to get that score to not give him proper cred. So in the end, I'd say count the whole score. If someone wants to spend that kind of time, give them their due. After all, it's not like there's a big cash prize, at least you got to recognize.... ;)

So if anyone takes exception to playing without joysticks, consider me withdrawn.

No, I was actually just looking for pointers! :) I have been using two of the European stock joypads and that seems to work fairly well. But I'll have to start trying the emulated version with keyboard control.

The problem with keyboard control is that you're going to run into that poor section of code that freaks out when you press in opposite directions for firing at the same time. Instead of just favoring one of the two directions, you find yourself unable to fire for a period of time - sometimes until you die. In this game that speeds up the whole death thing anyway.

I got better (ie: stopped freezing my ability to fire) by remapping buttons to my gamepad instead but since the emulator won't recognize both analog sticks I had to remap the firing to the buttons anyway. As a result I still get the fire freezing happening from time to time but it's not as often as when I was just using the keyboard.

The problem with keyboard control is that you're going to run into that poor section of code that freaks out when you press in opposite directions for firing at the same time. Instead of just favoring one of the two directions, you find yourself unable to fire for a period of time - sometimes until you die. In this game that speeds up the whole death thing anyway.

I got better (ie: stopped freezing my ability to fire) by remapping buttons to my gamepad instead but since the emulator won't recognize both analog sticks I had to remap the firing to the buttons anyway. As a result I still get the fire freezing happening from time to time but it's not as often as when I was just using the keyboard.

I feel like I've run into this here and there on the real hardware version, but maybe I'm just losing my mind. It seemed like sometimes I'd lose the ability to fire in any direction, particularly after firing up-left diagonally for awhile. But maybe my gamepads are simply complaining from too much abuse. And it would only happen for a second or two, but that was often a crucial second or two...

And eh, I'm unlikely to go with keyboard controls anyways, even if our friend was able to score amazingly well with that. I just like game controllers better.

post-5182-129093316877_thumb.jpg

This game is hard for me to keep up with. I'm surprised I did this well this time - this is more than double my previous record. It's funny how some of the levels in this game can boost your score by like 150k.

In previous rounds of this game I used dual joysticks. This time I tried a joystick for movement and a Genesis pad to fire, and that seemed to work pretty well. I still have a problem getting distracted shooting things behind me and walking straight into enemies.

The code I've noticed also does the same thing for movement. Pressing certain multiple directions will keep the player from moving. The firing I've notice a couple times but usually not, since I 'sweep' when firing. Never back and forth... always in a rolling motion.

• Like 1