IGNORED

TI BASIC Game: Aperture

adamantyr

Couple things..

1- bug is still there if you pop up on a floor your stuck in a loop if the other portal is also on the floor no escape can't even R to restart can't walk out of the portal on the floor no matter what I try

2- its too big to run in ti basic on a real 99/4a (yep I tried it) call files(1) got it to old.. then it won't run.

3- it runs REAL GOOD in Myarc extended basic II on my real 99/4a with 128k :) fast!!! still can't get past level 5 :(

Greg

Sorry for the late post... Blizzard WOULD choose today of all days to update the World of Warcraft with all the earth-shattering changes to the zones, so I just had to check it out...

Anyway, I've got all sixteen levels encoded into the game, and was working through play-testing each one to make sure they're solvable, and also catch any last-minute bugs and errors from transcribing them from paper.

However, I've run out of time as I need to get ready for a trip over the mountain pass for Thanksgiving tomorrow. (With lots of ice. And teen degree weather. Yay.) So, having tested at least 12 of them, I'll throw the rest to you guys to find the bugs.

Note that the game takes up nearly all the memory BASIC has to offer. There's no way this one can be run on iron without (ugh) typing it in by hand. Fortunately, there's an easier solution: offload all the level data to disk. That should cut it down enough to fit easily in BASIC with room for a disk controller. I'll probably do that for completeness sake.

Adamantyr

If you load it into Myarc XBII and then SAVE CS1, will it then work if you load it into TI BASIC from cassette, or will its having been saved from XBII mess it up for BASIC somehow?

Couple things..

1- bug is still there if you pop up on a floor your stuck in a loop if the other portal is also on the floor no escape can't even R to restart can't walk out of the portal on the floor no matter what I try

2- its too big to run in ti basic on a real 99/4a (yep I tried it) call files(1) got it to old.. then it won't run.

3- it runs REAL GOOD in Myarc extended basic II on my real 99/4a with 128k :) fast!!! still can't get past level 5 :(

Greg

Sorry for the late post... Blizzard WOULD choose today of all days to update the World of Warcraft with all the earth-shattering changes to the zones, so I just had to check it out...

Anyway, I've got all sixteen levels encoded into the game, and was working through play-testing each one to make sure they're solvable, and also catch any last-minute bugs and errors from transcribing them from paper.

However, I've run out of time as I need to get ready for a trip over the mountain pass for Thanksgiving tomorrow. (With lots of ice. And teen degree weather. Yay.) So, having tested at least 12 of them, I'll throw the rest to you guys to find the bugs.

Note that the game takes up nearly all the memory BASIC has to offer. There's no way this one can be run on iron without (ugh) typing it in by hand. Fortunately, there's an easier solution: offload all the level data to disk. That should cut it down enough to fit easily in BASIC with room for a disk controller. I'll probably do that for completeness sake.

Adamantyr

Here's an idea...

1) I can always save 98% of the game into my CF

2) OLD "DSK1.APERTURE"

3) SAVE CS1

4) Turn off console

5) Disconnect CF7

6) OLD CS1

7) Type in last 5-6 lines

8) SAVE CS1 again

-OR-

That way I can test it on my real hardware. Someome let me know if there is an easier way. =)

***AFTERTHOUGHT***

This is so cool, I can't even describe it. =) THIS is why I wanted to do a BASIC contest--- This old-school quirky sh**. I'm glad I'll have something to document on video. =) Video title "How to transfer a game too big to transfer". =)

Good stuff.... good stuff.....

Working on fixes... unfortunately I ran out of memory trying to fix the portal trap issue, because I had to add extra code to check for movement.

I was trying to recycle existing code, the problem was that it ALWAYS displaced you 2 spaces if you went left or right from a portal while falling. I have several levels that would be unsolvable in this case.

So, the cool opening title sequence has been axed. Back to two print statements. :)

And yes, I SAID it would not work on a base console unless you used a cassette player. :) This is truly a cassette-only TI BASIC game. I can make a disk version that loads the level data off disk, but that comes after I am certain all levels are playable and solvable and all major bugs are fixed.

Adamantyr

I can't repeat the cube in the wall now that I am home and am using a joystick, portal fix is much better until you out the cube in the portal and then fall into it yourself, wasn't trying to do that but it happened in level 5 when I went to test the portal fix. Again not such a bad problem if you could hit R and reload the level but it overrides that.

I can't repeat the cube in the wall now that I am home and am using a joystick, portal fix is much better until you out the cube in the portal and then fall into it yourself, wasn't trying to do that but it happened in level 5 when I went to test the portal fix. Again not such a bad problem if you could hit R and reload the level but it overrides that.

Out the cube? What does that mean? Can you provide a screenshot?

Or do you mean, you push a cube into a portal where it falls into a portal, then comes back up and falls down again?

Adamantyr

Out the cube? What does that mean? Can you provide a screenshot?

Or do you mean, you push a cube into a portal where it falls into a portal, then comes back up and falls down again?

Adamantyr

out? where did that come from? Yeah dropped the cube in a portal and then fell in the portal with the man and unbreakable loop started

Fixed the cube drop loop. Fortunately it's not a huge hit to do so; I just check if the portal direction is up. If so, it doesn't check gravity for the cube. That's the best I can do in BASIC.

So has anyone actually gotten past Test Chamber 5? I'm not hearing any feedback at all on that.

Adamantyr

Save it in emu to cs1, old cs1 on ti plugged into speaker jack on pc, play wav?

Greg

Here's an idea...

1) I can always save 98% of the game into my CF

2) OLD "DSK1.APERTURE"

3) SAVE CS1

4) Turn off console

5) Disconnect CF7

6) OLD CS1

7) Type in last 5-6 lines

8) SAVE CS1 again

-OR-

That way I can test it on my real hardware. Someome let me know if there is an easier way. =)

***AFTERTHOUGHT***

This is so cool, I can't even describe it. =) THIS is why I wanted to do a BASIC contest--- This old-school quirky sh**. I'm glad I'll have something to document on video. =) Video title "How to transfer a game too big to transfer". =)

Good stuff.... good stuff.....

I've done this once or twice, with very limited success. I don't have the proper extension cable anymore, so it might be more of a pain than just typing in some lines.... But that's great thinking, arcadeshopper!!

Outside-the-box thinking.... :) please stick around this forum, man--- we're a better community with the keeper of "the Keep" in our midst. :)

I've made it to level 7 now.. had to stop to eat dinner :) with the endless loop fixed i can get past 5 with about 3095325953 trys I've noticed on level 6 i tend to hover a bit.. up by the boxes walking on air

Greg

Fixed the cube drop loop. Fortunately it's not a huge hit to do so; I just check if the portal direction is up. If so, it doesn't check gravity for the cube. That's the best I can do in BASIC.

So has anyone actually gotten past Test Chamber 5? I'm not hearing any feedback at all on that.

Adamantyr

I'm on level 7. I got right to the end, my block touched the thing that shoots the blue star and turned it into another block and stacked them under trhe exit. So I tried to get on top and an invisible blue star killed me ;-( Then on my next try, I pushed a block into the red portal at the bottom, before I created a blue one and I kinda killed my gravity. then when I went to put the blue portal up at the top I got stuck to it and had to do a breakpoint - the R wouldn't reset the level. Still lots of fun.

Okay ... just made it to 8.

Now I'm on 9. Cool levels!

Okay, I'm kinda stuck on 12. I'll keep at it.

Edited by snume

Quick heads up...

Level 12 is currently unsolvable... I forgot to include a small passageway that's needed.

I also need to take a quick look at cube moving. There's at least one state that can move it into a square and obliterate what's there. It's not a show-stopper, but I'd like to get that one fixed.

Adamantyr

I've skipped 12 for now, sent you a pm on 13, and 14 won't load up - BAD VALUE IN 5760. Can I run the upper levels in Classic99 or will I run out of memory?

Have I forgot to mention how much this game rocks? Do you plan to make a version later when you have the bugs worked out and have free time that has the executable on a cart and can load new levels off cassette/disk. This game is totally made for the Adventure model.

Edited by snume

Latest version: I've fixed the broken levels and some control issues, and visually inspected all levels to make sure all major errors are accounted for.

Loading off disk is a good idea to make it disk-friendly. However, writing a level editor does not appeal... when I submit the entry on the contest list, I'll provide an in-depth overview of the code here. The level encoding system is NOT easy to write an editor for.

Adamantyr

made it to level 12 so far :)

Greg

Latest version: I've fixed the broken levels and some control issues, and visually inspected all levels to make sure all major errors are accounted for.

Loading off disk is a good idea to make it disk-friendly. However, writing a level editor does not appeal... when I submit the entry on the contest list, I'll provide an in-depth overview of the code here. The level encoding system is NOT easy to write an editor for.

Adamantyr

Adam, this is fantastic. I don't think it's hyperbole to say this is one of the best action-type games I've ever seen in console BASIC. I just got to level 5 and decided that's a good place to stop (since it's 4am over here...) but so far the pacing of the levels, the execution of the game loop, the character control... everything is superb. If you can accomplish this in TI BASIC, your CRPG is gonna make Texas Instruments bring the 99/4A back on the market.

Amazing job, man. Congratulations.