IGNORED

Dual joystick holder for Robotron 2084

urborg

I have one, but can't take a photo at the moment.

Not sure if it was actually released for the 7800,as it takes cx-40 sticks, but it came as a pack in with the Atari 8bit release of Robotron.

I bought mine a couple of years ago from B+C and I believe they still have it in stock

I know that nobody asked, but I find that playing Robotron with a sega gamepad in my left hand and the megadrive/genesis arcade stick in my right hand makes it really playable. I plan on building a dual-joystick controller for Virtual On on the Xbox 360 and maybe I'll make it atari-compatible now that I own one.

Actually there is a special version that was designed for the 7800 Prolines and I think somebody just might have the original mechanical drawings for it and who knows what may come out sometime in the spring for the 7800, of course a certain author I know has to finish a certain dual-joystick game he had started and showed me a very early alpha of, and maybe a package release could be done... 2011 is going to be one heck of a year for 7800 fans, lots more to come as time permits...

Curt

I heard that special dual joystick holder were being produced and sold for games like Robotron 2084. I wonder how it look like. Does anyone have such a device and can show a photos of it?

That's where I got mine. I was expecting hard plastic and was pretty disappointed at how cheaply constructed it is. Oh well, better than nothing I guess.

I think considering how it was marketed in its box (as a freebie or damn near it), it's pretty well made. It's certainly sturdy enough so that you can play the game comfortably, but light/streamlined enough as not to introduce hardly any extra weight and bulk. I really like it the way it is.

Edited by save2600

• 1 month later...

Actually there is a special version that was designed for the 7800 Prolines and I think somebody just might have the original mechanical drawings for it and who knows what may come out sometime in the spring for the 7800, of course a certain author I know has to finish a certain dual-joystick game he had started and showed me a very early alpha of, and maybe a package release could be done... 2011 is going to be one heck of a year for 7800 fans, lots more to come as time permits...

Curt

I heard that special dual joystick holder were being produced and sold for games like Robotron 2084. I wonder how it look like. Does anyone have such a device and can show a photos of it?

Any ideas on who might have the original specs/drawings on this? I'd be interested in finding out what it would take to produce.

• 2 weeks later...

If you happen to own a Wii you can hack the thing in 5 minutes and be playing Robotron via Wii7800 with a classic controller (which has 2 sticks). Great way to play this game. Especially if you don't have a coupler.

I'm really disappointed in the Wii. My friend hacked his and while it is decent playing 7800 games it seems to really suck at arcade ROMS via MAME.

The Wiimote is terrible when it comes to playing the old games. The buttons are too slow [i gave up on level 26 on Galaga because of it; I got up to level 52 when I was 12...I could've really used the High Score Cartridge back then!].

I'm trying to convince him to buy one of Nintendo's retro SNES controllers for the Wii.

I used to play Robotron on the 7800 in dual stick mode; I wish I would've had a joystick holder for it.

If you happen to own a Wii you can hack the thing in 5 minutes and be playing Robotron via Wii7800 with a classic controller (which has 2 sticks). Great way to play this game. Especially if you don't have a coupler.

I'm really disappointed in the Wii. My friend hacked his and while it is decent playing 7800 games it seems to really suck at arcade ROMS via MAME.

The latest build of SDL MAME is better, but yeah, the Wii isn't best for MAME. It excels at console emulation though.

• 2 months later...

Its a pity :(, as there is still no PAL version of Robotron 2084 :(

Its on my list of things to do. It was mentioned in the original CGE release information here :-

http://www.atariage.com/features/shows/cge2010_preview/expansion.html#joystick

Hello. How the project is going? I'm still waiting for that device and PAL version of Robotron.