IGNORED

Demons to Diamonds

SoulBlazer

As a kid with my Atari, this was one of my fav games. I still find it fun in small doses. Once the game gets nasty with all those objects to shoot and avoid it's damn impossible for adults as well as kids!

This seems to be one of the games that slipped 'under the radar' and never got much notice.

Anyone else enjoy this game like I do? :)

I sure wouldn't mind seeing an updated version of the game... maybe throw in some arkanoid-style power-ups, could even spice up the graphics with some high-res (but simple, maybe vector) 2D art or even 3D. 3D would allow for some funky stuff like wrapping the playfield around, tempest-like...

My folks didn't like this game when I was a kid because it had the word "Demon" in the title (as if this could somehow be mistaken for a satanic video game), but it's a fun little paddle game that I learned to appreciate later. I've been thinking of making a paddle game of my own that is loosely based on Demons to Diamonds, though not for the 2600.

Demons to Diamonds was also included in the Jakks Atari 13-in-1 Paddle from Jakks Pacific. The sound effects are a bit different, but otherwise I thought it was a very faithful translation, as were all of the games in that handheld.

My folks didn't like this game when I was a kid because it had the word "Demon" in the title (as if this could somehow be mistaken for a satanic video game), but it's a fun little paddle game that I learned to appreciate later. I've been thinking of making a paddle game of my own that is loosely based on Demons to Diamonds, though not for the 2600.

Demons to Diamonds was also included in the Jakks Atari 13-in-1 Paddle from Jakks Pacific. The sound effects are a bit different, but otherwise I thought it was a very faithful translation, as were all of the games in that handheld.

The 13-in-1 paddle is actually where I first played it. I got one in a garage sale a few years ago, before I bought my 2600 (which I got from ebay in '08). The paddle, as well as Demons to Diamonds, were some of the deciding factors in pushing me towards getting a real Atari.

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought that Demons to Diamonds was one of the weirdest games that Atari ever came up with. The first time I saw that game, I thought that the name Demons to Diamonds meant that it was a scary horror game.

To me the name Demons to Diamonds could be the name of a horror novel or movie about Demons who turn into Diamonds and are then sold to a jewelry store where they are put into rings and then sold to customers. Then later on in the people’s houses the diamonds turn back into demons and kill the people who bought the rings and their families. That would make a great horror movie. Demons to Diamonds.

• Like 2

I always thought that Demons to Diamonds was one of the weirdest games that Atari ever came up with. The first time I saw that game, I thought that the name Demons to Diamonds meant that it was a scary horror game.

To me the name Demons to Diamonds could be the name of a horror novel or movie about Demons who turn into Diamonds and are then sold to a jewelry store where they are put into rings and then sold to customers. Then later on in the people’s houses the diamonds turn back into demons and kill the people who bought the rings and their families. That would make a great horror movie. Demons to Diamonds.

I never really understood that whole demonds to diamons thing. Like if you shoot a demon it becomes a diamond. Sounds like the name of a wonky neil diamond cover band. YOU KNOW IT! Gotta get my paddles and fire up that game again.

I probably remember Demons and Diamonds mostly because it was one of the few Atari games I didn't understand within a few seconds of playing. Most Atari 2600 games had pretty simple concepts and controls. Sure some took a little (or a lot) longer to get, but this one seemed counter intuitive for me. I shoot something and it turns into the international symbol for death. It was just strange. I don't recall that I picked it up when it was new.

If that was your first post ever to AtariAge, (1) welcome and (2) you should get some kind of medal for that idea.

To me the name Demons to Diamonds could be the name of a horror novel or movie about Demons who turn into Diamonds and are then sold to a jewelry store where they are put into rings and then sold to customers. Then later on in the peoples houses the diamonds turn back into demons and kill the people who bought the rings and their families. That would make a great horror movie. Demons to Diamonds.

If that was your first post ever to AtariAge, (1) welcome and (2) you should get some kind of medal for that idea.

I think the inevitable game based on that movie would be even scarier. ;)

Edited by zylon

I remember this game actually got some major tv ad push, by Atari. I was put off, because it seemed they were marketing toward females. A girl in the ad was getting all dressed up in costume jewelry, and whatnot.

Sometime later, at a friends house, they had Demons to Diamonds, and that's when I found out it really was a fun 2 player game.

I sure wouldn't mind seeing an updated version of the game... maybe throw in some arkanoid-style power-ups, could even spice up the graphics with some high-res (but simple, maybe vector) 2D art or even 3D. 3D would allow for some funky stuff like wrapping the playfield around, tempest-like...

Are you the same guy that wanted to make Donkey Kong 3 have arkanoid controls? What is it with you and that game?