IGNORED

What form do you collect your games in?

Bartsfam

I'm curious. In what format do you mostly collect your Colecovision games?

For the last year, I have been collecting hard. I started collecting loose, and got up to about 80 games. Then I decided I wanted boxed, and now have about 22 boxed. But now I have duplicates of boxed and loose. I play the loose, and leave the boxed in a closet. Now, I was thinking about getting an Atarimax flashcard thing, which will give me three copies of some games.

I cannot stay focused on a particular format.

What do most of you do?

I had about 30 CIB boxes of Colecovision and 40 CIB boxes of Atari games with the Atari adapter from when I got my collecovision as a kid. Since I had those I kinda wanted to get CIB games. I do have about 10 to 15 non CIB from games that I thought I would never get CIB versions so now those are duplictes. I have tried to get every game made even the Homebrews. I pretty mutch have been able to get every game. I have like 12 CIB boxes and of course the impossible to find Bit Corp games that I still have not found but hopefully someday. I did buy a AtariMax SD so I could play the demo games that are not on carts and some of the games that I don't think they ever made carts for them. The AtariMax did save me for the HighScorers club because we were supposed to play Pitfall II and when I tried to play the game it did not work. I cleaned it several times and it still would not play. So I got the Pitfall II rom version and it worked like a charm.

The CIB route is definately very expensive and harder to get. I could have easily gotten loose carts for cheap but I went through all the work of saving all my CIB as a kid and I wanted all my new games to be that way as well. Some of the prototypes and game show releases don't have boxes but those you just have to accept there is only a Cart for them and if your lucky you get some cool guy like Pixelboy that wants to make a Jeepers Creepers box and then one of your cart only releases becomes a CIB :)

I collect CIB games. The only exceptions are when a CIB game isn't available (mostly homebrews) or when it was normal for the game to come loose (pack-ins such as CV Donkey Kong and NES SMB/Duck Hunt).

I'm not wealthy, though. :) I only collect games that I really, really like. I play games in emulators first, to determine whether a game (or even a system) is worth seeking out CIB.

I currently have 444 games, but that includes many disk-based games for the A8 which were purchased back when you could walk into a store and buy them brand new off the shelf. ;)

For consoles, I have on the order of 300 games. For the ColecoVision specifically, I have only 20 games (17 CIB -- Donkey Kong, Slither, and Turbo are loose, as usual). But I'm looking forward to picking up a few more next year...

I'm curious. In what format do you mostly collect your Colecovision games?

What do most of you do?

For me, I have about 154 loose (that includes some label variations) and I have a

on that, and about 140 boxed. I am not big on emulators so dont have ROMs except for a few that are not in cartridge form - eg Burgertime and BumpNJump variations.

I dont own a mulicart.

When I want to play a game, I usually play it off a floppy disk on my ADAM, I find this most convenient because whereas I have my ADAM set up at all times, my Colecovision is packed away.

I buy to play for the most part. Plus, I don't have a lot of extra room for storing the extras. So for me, loose is the best way. I'm also not just collecting CV games. I've got a CV, IntV, Atari, NES, N64, Wii, PS2, PS3, and various handhelds. On top of that, I've (hopefully) got a SNES and a Genesis on the way. If I tried to collect CIB, I'd have to live outside!

I've got a ton of loose games, but the 'grail' for me is a sealed NIB collection. A little less than half way there at this point-- and really don't expect to get much closer. Sealed stuff has gone thru the roof in the past 5-10 years, and it gets harder to justify every time it inches up further. To play, I had the 128-in-1, and now the SD cart. A pair of slick, wonderful accessories! Of course, there are a few games that aren't SD cart friendly (home brews where the ROM isn't available), but I'd rather just switch the cart out once in a blue moon than to switch it for every game!

Now I just need some of Yurkie's mods! The BIOS and the Composite video. (Would much rather have component at this stage, but it is what it is. :) ) I'm epecting Yurkie or Classics or someone to eventually show us a Colecovision modded with a SD Cart 'built in'. :)

I've got a ton of loose games, but the 'grail' for me is a sealed NIB collection. A little less than half way there at this point-- and really don't expect to get much closer. Sealed stuff has gone thru the roof in the past 5-10 years, and it gets harder to justify every time it inches up further. To play, I had the 128-in-1, and now the SD cart. A pair of slick, wonderful accessories! Of course, there are a few games that aren't SD cart friendly (home brews where the ROM isn't available), but I'd rather just switch the cart out once in a blue moon than to switch it for every game!

Now I just need some of Yurkie's mods! The BIOS and the Composite video. (Would much rather have component at this stage, but it is what it is. :) ) I'm epecting Yurkie or Classics or someone to eventually show us a Colecovision modded with a SD Cart 'built in'. :)

Internal SD:

My idea would be to have an SD slot and the system would default to it unless a cartridge was inserted. A cartridge inserted in the original cartridge slot would override the SD... basically like a boot sequence on a computer.

Back to the topic:

I like all forms of the games. CIBs being my favorite.

I would like to someday have all US released CIBs and also a loose cart and an extra manual for each. I currently have about 70 loose unique titles and 40 CIBs.

I am a big fan or the multi-carts and have both USB and SD. I also have some of the great homebrews and am looking forward to a few of the upcoming releases.

I think the upcoming Pitfall II Arcade ranks up there with PMC and Mario Bros. as the one of the best ColecoVision homebrews ever.

Anyone that is not familiar with ColecoVision homebrew should defiantly visit Pixelboy's site here:

http://www.teampixelboy.com/

And retroillucid's CollectorVision site here:

http://www.colecovision.dk/collectorvision.htm

Lastly check out Opcode's site, he is working on a memory expansion module and an improved Donkey Kong and several other advanced games for the ColecoVision.

http://opcodegames.com/

After a very long deliberation, I have finally gotten into collecting all the original carts from the 80's... AGAIN (had about 115 the first time around through the '80's). My first big score was two weeks ago when I bought a CV, 3 extra controllers, 1 extra Power Supply, EM#1, EM#2, RC, 4 SAC, 52 CV Carts (12 doubles) and 70 2600 carts for $150 locally. Aside from a couple issues with the extra controllers, everything was in great working and physical shape. So now I have extras of everything just in case. If I go by current pricing for everything I bought, I paid about $1.25 each for the single CV carts :!:

Yesterday, I revisited Sean Kelly's "VideoGames Then & Now" store in Chicago (really Norridge) and picked up 16 more loose carts. Sorry Yurkie, I didn't have my camera with me... I promise to revisit Sean's store very soon and take a BUNCH of pics for you and everuone else on here.

Being the addict that I am, I bought 19 more CV carts on eBay last night and when those arrive, I will be up to 77 loose carts.

I WILL NOT attempt to assemble a CIB collection as I don't have the patience for such a long, drawn out and expensive endeavor... unless someone offers up their CIB collection for me to consider. :D Plus, I need to save some money for all the latest homebrews as well as some of the older homebrews I want to buy.

BTW, I second Yurkie re. the AtariMax products. I have both the USB and SD and they are FANTASTIC :!:

I used to collect CIB, but that is getting expensive.Now i just buy games i like loose, if the box is there at a reasonable price, i'll buy it, but i won't seek out mint boxed games anymore.I just have to put my money in higher priorities now.No emulators or multi-carts for me, i am a purist and like everything in its purest form the way it was 1st played:single game cart inserted in console. ;) :thumbsup:

Edited by Rik