IGNORED

Basic Rogue - BoCC game thread

jchase1970

84485305.png

93466503.png

57585609.png

Ok, so this maybe over reaching, but Owens has me dreaming of Rogue Likes and random dungeons and rpgs and well damnit Owen this crap gets under you skin and just stays there. I've been obsessing over mazes and dungeons for the last week, and after making a nice dungeon that you can move around in last night I decided to go for it.

So this is my WIP thread of Basic Rogue. This 1st posting has the map making in place, unknown dungeon until you explore it. You move with ESDX and this game will be heavy on key short cuts when done. If anyone has played Rogues then you know. Right now you can only move around and all the doors are closed so depending on where you spawn you may not see much.

So this is actually playable not on overdrive, overdrive of course makes it better. Since it is in TI-Basic I can compile it once I'm done. And have something pretty nice I think.

11-21

Initial post walkable revealable map ESDX commands

11-22

Open and shut doors with the O command

Open and shut chests with O

Find traps and secret doors with F

Climb ladder with C

11-23

You now have 100hp and lose hp from traps

You now get hungry if your hunger reached 99 you lose 1hp per movement(starving) Sorry no food to eat yet.

You can now DIED - hey it's ROGUE!

Check your stats with Z

11-24

Added food to the stat bar

You can now eat food with the T command

Eating food reduces hunger by 25 can't eat if you are 0 hunger(full)

ROGUE.zip

Edited by jchase1970
  • Like 1

Awesome!

Incidentally, BASIC is much more difficult to make games that work well in overdrive mode. In Extended BASIC, I could through in a PEEK to the interrupt timer to slow things down in a way that overdrive respected, but that's not possible in BASIC.

So you should go whole hog and either make your game absolutely require overdrive, or playable without it.

Also, Owen, we should start up a submission thread for the contest? I just got 10 levels to encode and a little testing to do and the complete Aperture should be ready.

Adamantyr

Awesome!

Incidentally, BASIC is much more difficult to make games that work well in overdrive mode. In Extended BASIC, I could through in a PEEK to the interrupt timer to slow things down in a way that overdrive respected, but that's not possible in BASIC.

So you should go whole hog and either make your game absolutely require overdrive, or playable without it.

Also, Owen, we should start up a submission thread for the contest? I just got 10 levels to encode and a little testing to do and the complete Aperture should be ready.

Adamantyr

It will be completely turn based so if a person uses overdrive on a emulator great, on a real system it will be slower. I will compile it once it's done and since it's turn based it should need any timing adjustments then the moving around will be smooth and fast.

Edited by jchase1970

I've run this a few times and keep getting the same error

rogue.jpg

I made sure I was in TI BASIC and not XB. =) I tried it in OD and in standard speed. I tried it as it's posted and I tried resequencing it. Any way I try, as soon as I get "ladder broke," it quits with an error.

Ah, the spoiler is trimming spaces, I'll have to use a codebox

try it again Owen.

Guess, I'll start posting a basic file too, kinda long for pasting in c99.

Thanks for letting me know,

John

Edited by jchase1970

You got it... it posted cleanly this time, and I explored the entire chamber. Opened one door and it gave me the "DONE" prompt... I suppose this is what you meant when you said "WIP". =) Love it, man... plays great on CPU OD, and I can't wait to play the compiled version!!!

I removed the copied version, something funny going on, posted a file, and it should let you open and shut all doors. DL the file please and try it and see if it works for you. Sorry, it was meant to be working right when I posted the update, lol.

Edited by jchase1970

Dang glad it worked!

This was the code to open shut the doors I was trying to be flexible with the code and using the same code to open and close doors.

REM GET DIRECTION RETURNS KD=1-4
2210 GOSUB 2299
REM UP OPEN SHUT
2211 IF KD=1 THEN 2212 ELSE 2219
2212 CALL GCHAR(CY-1,CX,A)
2213 IF A=90 THEN 2214 ELSE 2216  GOTO CHEST
2214 CALL HCHAR(CY-1,CX,89)
2215 GOTO 280
2216 IF A=89 THEN 2217 ELSE 280
2217 CALL HCHAR(CY-1,CX,90)
2218 GOTO 280

REM DOWN OPEN SHUT
2219 IF KD=3 THEN 2220 ELSE 2227
2220 CALL GCHAR(CY+1,CX,A)
2221 IF A=90 THEN 2222 ELSE 2224
2222 CALL HCHAR(CY+1,CX,89)
2223 GOTO 280
2224 IF A=89 THEN 2225 ELSE 280
2225 CALL HCHAR(CY+1,CX,90)
2226 GOTO 280

REM RIGHT
2227 IF KD=2 THEN 2228 ELSE 2236
2228 CALL GCHAR(CY,CX+1,A)
2229 IF A=90 THEN 2230 ELSE 2232
2230 CALL HCHAR(CY,CX+1,89)
2231 GOTO 280
2232 IF A=89 THEN 2233 ELSE 280
2233 CALL HCHAR(CY,CX+1,90)
2234 GOTO 280

REM LEFT OPEN SHUT
2236 CALL GCHAR(CY,CX-1,A)
2237 IF A=90 THEN 2238 ELSE 2240
2238 CALL HCHAR(CY,CX-1,89)
2239 GOTO 280
2240 IF A=89 THEN 2241 ELSE 280
2241 CALL HCHAR(CY,CX-1,90)
2242 GOTO 280

Then I realized I needed to open and shut more stuff, like chest and I realized that this was going to grow out of hand for my size limits. So I rewrote it to be more flexible, this code opens and shuts doors and chests and I can add more stuff to open at an increase of only 3 lines. open and close will need 6 lines. Anyway I'm doing 2 times the functions and my code shrunk 7 lines, woot.

REM GET DIRECTION RETURNS KD=1-4
2210 GOSUB 2299
2211 ZX=CX
2212 ZY=CY
2213 IF KD=1 THEN 2214 ELSE 2216
2214 ZY=CY-1
2215 GOTO 2223
2216 IF KD=2 THEN 2217 ELSE 2219
2217 ZX=CX+1
2218 GOTO 2223 
2219 IF KD=3 THEN 2220 ELSE 2222
2220 zy=cy+1
2221 goto 2223
2222 ZX=CX-1

2223 CALL GCHAR(ZY,ZX,A)
2224 IF A=89 THEN 2225 ELSE 2227
2225 A=90
2226 GOTO 2250
2227 IF A=90 THEN 2228 ELSE 2230
2228 A=89
2229 GOTO 2250
2230 IF A=121 THEN 2231 ELSE 2233
2231 A=122
2232 GOTO 2250

REM ------------IF ADD MORE OPEN SHUT STUFF THE ELSE NEEDS TO POINT TO THEM
2233 IF A=122 THEN 2234 ELSE 2250
2234 A=121
2235 GOTO 2250

2250 CALL HCHAR(ZY,ZX,A)
2251 GOTO 280

Now I guess I need to add some random chest in the level creation. My next update tomorrow will include chests and atleast secret detection. meaning secret doors and traps. So tomorrow will be a exciting update.

OK! new file up, see top post. I think the dungeon interface is done.

You have a sense to notice things not normal that are hiding secrets. It's set at 50% right now a bit high. You have to search for the hidden item and there's a chance to weather or not you find it, again it's 50% probably to high to start with.

random chests and traps spread on map

you can open and shut chests nothing to get yet

you can get hurt by the traps but you are invincible right now.

If you find the ladder you can climb it to the next level and it resets leaving you in the same location

More to come if I have time tomorrow to get anything done on it.

Traps and Secret door

When your spidy sense tells you there is something odd around here then that means there is something hidden in the 8 squares around you. Your 6th sense here will only notice something odd 50% of the time. So you could wall by something hidden and not know it.

So you move and you notice something odd, use (F) to try to find it, press (F) and then a direction to search(ESDX). If you press (F) and (E) and don't find anything it doesn't mean nothing is there because something are hidden better then others and require multiple searches. Right now the games starts you with 50% chance to find it, there will be stuff to find later on that will increase of decrease your chance.

Remember you can only search 4 directions(ESDX) but the unknown item could be in 8 directions so you will have to move to find it.

Finding the trap is important so you don't come back though later and fall in it. Later there sill be something to disarm a trap but this is Rogue so sometimes you can't disarm a trap and it may be right in front of the last door to the last room where you know the ladder is and you have to get hurt to get to the ladder.

You will have a disarming skill, but if you fail the random chance to disarm it you will get hurt, so there will be something to find that increases you chance to disarm also.

Todays update, makes it more of a game since you will died at some point.

currently you can check the stats by pressing Z once you move it clears off since some stats change per move like hunger. Having it update the stats update every game loop cycle makes it to slow I think to be playable in non-overdrive mode. Since this is basic on cartridge contest I think the game needs to be enjoyable on real machine speed.

Not a whole lot done, not alot of time today, been busy getting ready to go to Texas tomorrow afternoon.

New file in first post.

• Like 1

Just played the new installment. Awesome stuff, man... awesome....

Couldn't get my stats to pop up using "Z" though.....

Still, fantastic game, man... well done

Well that's odd let me dl it and check.

I don't know how but that was the wrong file? I uploaded the new one.

I'm having alot of trouble with my uploads, not sure why.