IGNORED

1980's Atari 2600 Holiday Ads

chuckwalla

Man, those were the good old days. I couldn't wait until our family got the newest Christmas catalog wishbook from Sears, JCPenny's, Montgomery Wards, etc. My family collected those things, we had like years worth of them. Sadly like all printed material, they ended up the way of the garbage.

Christmas time was such a good time for my family, I loved going to Sears and Toys R Us and senselessly browsing through the newest games and hardward for the systems. I still do that to this day. I spent this weekend Christmas shopping at one of our local malls and went to Sears and straight back to the video game section. Had they had the title I was looking for, I would have bought it. I wish more people would support their local malls / Sears instead of pissing their money away at Gaymeslut.

The Christmas book from Sears was great bathroom reading when I was little. :D

Those controllers seem very pricey, until I realize I dropped $50 for a PS3 controller. :sad:

I've never seen one of those motion control joypads.. Any info on them, anyone?

Edited by psquare75

Holy moly! I almost completely forgot about the countless hours (as a kid) spent staring (and dreaming) looking at pages like that. Thanks for helping to recall the memory!

Those pages used to be worn and dog-eared in our family's catalogs. This only helped, as it was easier to open the catalog back to that page easily.

Holy moly! I almost completely forgot about the countless hours (as a kid) spent staring (and dreaming) looking at pages like that. Thanks for helping to recall the memory!

Those pages used to be worn and dog-eared in our family's catalogs. This only helped, as it was easier to open the catalog back to that page easily.

Yea, what kid didn't, it was a great time to be growing up with the early age of video gaming and the birth of one of the greatest hobbies in the world.

The stuff sticks to your mind and soul like flypaper - hopefully it always will.

Man, look at how misleading those ads are:

The listing and screenshots of the 5200 carts right below the Vader...

That's definitely not 2600 Q*bert...

I'm questioning the screenshots BurgerTime and DK Jr.

That definitely is not Galaxian on the Gemini page - there's a starfield background and no yellow border...

But, yeah I used to look at those pix over and over again whether they were in a catalog, Sunday paper or Electronic Games magazine... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1.) People complain about paying $60 for today's games, but as you can see (adjusted for inflation), they were always that expensive.

2.) Hey, those screenshots aren't the VCS version in that "Two Big Names" ad! Gamers were going to be sorely disappointed when they saw the actual VCS "Burger Time", "Donkey Kong Jr.", etc.

I get a kick on how that sears ad from the original post mentions that the 2600 joysticks are self centering.

I remember that 1979 ad, btw. I begged and begged, and then got sick of begging. So I saved up every dime from my allowance and paper route money and got one about 10 months later, though it would have been a light sixer.

Here's some I found on Flickr from the 1979 Sears Christmas Catalog. Feel as old as I do right now?

Direct link to catalog ---> here

I love these. It's interesting that Sears still sold Outer Space even though Atari had dropped Star Ship from their catalogs by the end of '79.

I'm just curious how someone managed to jam a ColecoVision cartidge into a Gemini... :ponder:

(At least the screen shot is for the 2600 version.)

It looks like the cartridge is just sitting in the slot; it isn't actually "inserted."

Still, though, what the heck? Talk about misleading advertisements.

Edited by BassGuitari

Nice trip down memory lane. I like looking at old advertisements. Thanks for posting these.

I checked out that site with all the Wish Book scans but couldn't find the Atari pages for 1985 and 1986. Did they stop selling them in those years (after the crash)? I thought I got my Sears brand Atari in 1985. I remember the cover of that Wish Book well, anyway. I remember the cover of the 1986 one as well but I think I had my Atari by then. Maybe it was 1984 as there was a special sale or rebate and that is why I finally convinced my parent to buy it. I remember the 2600 was on one page and the 5200 was on the opposite page side-by-side and both had a special sale or rebate offer.

Man, those were the good old days. I couldn't wait until our family got the newest Christmas catalog wishbook from Sears, JCPenny's, Montgomery Wards, etc.

OMG yes. Those were the days!

The OP brought back so many good memories. I wish I had a time machine. *sigh*

Definitely great to see, I loved getting the Christmas toy book catalogs and lusting after all of the games listed inside... it's what we did as kids before we had the internet and the ability to see any new games months in advance, over and over! definitely explains why I like collecting the stuff now, not that anyone really understands!!

I liked how they have the 5200 version of RealSports Football pictured on the 2600 page (first set of scans). Whoops! I remember seeing glitches like that all the time and kind of chuckling.

Here's a bunch more Sears pages I scanned years ago from a 1982 Sears catalog...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=544&do=view_album&album=151

Think it might be the same one Brian O posted, but I included other pages I was most interested in as a kid!

Here's a bunch more Sears pages I scanned years ago from a 1982 Sears catalog...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=544&do=view_album&album=151

Think it might be the same one Brian O posted, but I included other pages I was most interested in as a kid!

I'm intrigued by that bowling game under the electronic chess boards. I remember being intrigued by it back when I was a kid looking through the Wish Book (as I was always intrigued by those rock tumblers). I looked it up on eBay and there are several for sale but they do not have the little man that is pictured in the catalog. They just have a lever to be pushed I guess. I wonder if it ever came with that little man.

People complain about paying $60 for today's games, but as you can see (adjusted for inflation), they were always that expensive.

You can use the CPI Inflation Calculator link below to see exactly what these items would cost today:

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

The $59.99 Vader system in 1984 would cost $126.28 today

The $189.99 Sears Video Arcade II in 1982 would cost $430.60 today - OUCH! No wonder we don't see many of these!

People complain about paying $60 for today's games, but as you can see (adjusted for inflation), they were always that expensive.

You can use the CPI Inflation Calculator link below to see exactly what these items would cost today:

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

The $59.99 Vader system in 1984 would cost $126.28 today

The $189.99 Sears Video Arcade II in 1982 would cost $430.60 today - OUCH! No wonder we don't see many of these!

But atleast you would be getting a system that lasts longer than the energizer bunny compared to the systems made today.