IGNORED

jsut made another batch of pc to 5200 adapters

bohoki

Can you tell us more about it? I may be interested in one if it will enable me to plug a 5200 controller into my pc

wrong direction

there are plenty of controllers for pc not many for 5200

but if you really want to use your 5200 controller on your pc i must ask do you have a 15 pin gameport cause i might be able to help

mr-fibbles-o.gif

Edited by bohoki

Can you tell us more about it? I may be interested in one if it will enable me to plug a 5200 controller into my pc

wrong direction

but if you really want to use your 5200 controller on your pc i must ask do you have a 15 pin gameport cause i might be able to help

I guess you could reverse the polarity of the capacitors to reduce the resistance, but even without it, it would just take longer to read the values.

wrong direction

I guess you could reverse the polarity of the capacitors to reduce the resistance, but even without it, it would just take longer to read the values.

no its even easier capacitors make the pc joystick resistance seem higher to make the 5200 resistance feel less you just need to put a resistor in parallel to each of the axis i figure a 200k resistor ought to do it

this is a special price to my peeps here at $10 delivered it works with 15 pin joystick/gamepads that do not require special windows drivers or have usb dongles pretty much any pc game controller made before 1998 some may not work that were made between 95-98

general rules of thumb if the joystick has calibration option it will work if it has only 2-4buttons it will work if the gamepad only had 4 independant fire buttons(not counting rapid fire buttons)i enjoy the old original gravis gamepad

i guess i should make a pic of all the known compatable sticks

wrong direction

no its even easier capacitors make the pc joystick resistance seem higher to make the 5200 resistance feel less you just need to put a resistor in parallel to each of the axis i figure a 200k resistor ought to do it

this is a special price to my peeps here at $10 delivered it works with 15 pin joystick/gamepads that do not require special windows drivers or have usb dongles pretty much any pc game controller made before 1998 some may not work that were made between 95-98

general rules of thumb if the joystick has calibration option it will work if it has only 2-4buttons it will work if the gamepad only had 4 independant fire buttons(not counting rapid fire buttons)i enjoy the old original gravis gamepad

I may want one that goes the other way. Hook up A5200 joystick to PC gameport. Doesn't the resistor cut off the range early or would it still use the full range going from one extreme to the other to realize all the values?

wrong direction

I may want one that goes the other way. Hook up A5200 joystick to PC gameport. Doesn't the resistor cut off the range early or would it still use the full range going from one extreme to the other to realize all the values?

in a couple days i'll make a couple it should be transparent fun range as usual its just going to be stick and buttons i dont have a way to attach the key matrix to the pc

i'll keep you updated

its kind of weird being that the 5200 controller gets all the hate now people want to use it on the pc

are you familiar with the phrase "does not compute"

if you dont have a 15 pin gameport you can get the usb gameport ive seen on ebay and that should make it work

my boggle is that i dont know of a 5200 emulator that allowes for the analog movement the one i use only acts like digital even when using an analog stick

DCP_9095.jpg

i leave the start button wire exposed so if someone wants to splice in an extension they could move the switch

15 pin male outer shield has been bent to allow locking lugs of 5200 plug to slide in easy

Edited by bohoki

I will be ordering again as soon as I get a paycheck or two. Unemployment stinks...

With all the 5200 emulation on PC, I could see the desire to use the stock 5200 controller on PC.

well i did it i had one extra 15 pin male so i hooked it up to a prototype adapter i built the keypad passthrough and then i hooked it up to a 15 pin joystick to usb adapter and am now playing mame with a 5200 stick and boy them mushy buttons are really really pissing me off also i think i should have made bottom button joy 1 and top button joy 2 cause its easier for me to hit the bottom button with my index finger and the top button with my thumb i got quite a frankenstein spagetti mess commingout of my laptop the little usb helecopter charger doesnt help either exernal zip an external hd the link cable to my mp3 player

oh gawd i just got through playing vs super mario brothers with the 5200 controller oh man its harder than the super mega hard smb well it is cold and my fingers are kind of sluggish and i keep forgetting the bottom button is jump

i should make a vid

man i am the epitome of sad friday night in bed at 7 playing super mario with a 5200 controller

Edited by bohoki

in a couple days i'll make a couple it should be transparent fun range as usual its just going to be stick and buttons i dont have a way to attach the key matrix to the pc

i'll keep you updated

its kind of weird being that the 5200 controller gets all the hate now people want to use it on the pc

Well, PC is mainly analog joysticks so using a 5200 controller would be like buying a different analog joystick for it. However, I do intend to hook up A5200 trackball to it.

if you dont have a 15 pin gameport you can get the usb gameport ive seen on ebay and that should make it work

my boggle is that i dont know of a 5200 emulator that allowes for the analog movement the one i use only acts like digital even when using an analog stick

DCP_9095.jpg

i leave the start button wire exposed so if someone wants to splice in an extension they could move the switch

15 pin male outer shield has been bent to allow locking lugs of 5200 plug to slide in easy

I am not using for emulation, but just for trying with PC stuff. I guess trackball would require a +5v at pin 12-- I guess gameport has enough current to drive the trackball.

i'll keep you updated

Well, PC is mainly analog joysticks so using a 5200 controller would be like buying a different analog joystick for it. However, I do intend to hook up A5200 trackball to it.

DCP_9095.jpg

I am not using for emulation, but just for trying with PC stuff. I guess trackball would require a +5v at pin 12-- I guess gameport has enough current to drive the trackball.

i'm not sure that would work i stay away from pin 12 so no go on tracball

i'll keep you updated

DCP_9095.jpg

i'm not sure that would work i stay away from pin 12 so no go on tracball

Just tie the +5V from gameport (I guess pin 1) to pin 12. It may not work in calibration mode since the POT GND can be turned on and off whereas here it would be always on. But it shouldn't affect the other controllers.

I would really like to purchase one of these adapters but I can't find a decent 15 Pin joystick or gamepad. If you have any to spare is there any way you would consider selling both as a combo? (I'd prefer a decent arcade style joystick or a joypad.)

honestly i havent found a decent arcade stick (well i have one) but its not for sale the thing is its a toss up

either you have lots of throw in the stick and you have analog movement like for the 5 analog games or you get the cardinal directions u,d,l,r and you cant play those games

heck if you want one of those gamepads for $10 additional (not the gravis its just too sentimental from playing commander keen on my 386) but i would hate to have you be disapointed in it they all have their idiosyncracys probably the best d pads are the 2 upper left ones and the 2 lower right ones

as for joysticks i have a couple on ebay you could probably find pretty easy

• Like 1

I would really like to purchase one of these adapters but I can't find a decent 15 Pin joystick or gamepad. If you have any to spare is there any way you would consider selling both as a combo? (I'd prefer a decent arcade style joystick or a joypad.)

heck if you want one of those gamepads for $10 additional (not the gravis its just too sentimental from playing commander keen on my 386) but i would hate to have you be disapointed in it they all have their idiosyncracys probably the best d pads are the 2 upper left ones and the 2 lower right ones

Sold! PM sent. Thanks very much.

I really only want it for a couple of specific titles (like pac-man). I'm one of those people who actually prefers the 5200 controller for most of the games on the system, but finds that with other titles its impossible to use. This will really help me complete my 5200 experience. I am ordering a recondintioned controller from Best Electronics, I recently built my own 5200 paddle, and I just scored a Trak Ball controller. This gamepad will be the perfect addition to the collection.

also will trade for atari lynx games

i'm looking for pac-land,mspacman,scrapyard dog,nfl,blockout,gordo 106,fussball,lemmings,asteroids,offroad,chess

and 5200 games decathalon,zenji,astrochase,gremlins,megamania,meteorites.pitfall,quest for quintana,ballblazer,rescue fractuklus,zaxxon,zone ranger

interesting trades considered

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one of these w/joystick off of eBay and it works nice. I am assuming it was from you (The picture of the Kraft stick looks like the exact one I have). I read earlier in the post that different pc sticks work better w/different 5200 games. If this is true, I would consider buying/trading for another one w/different stick. I will pm you w/what I have that you listed as a want. Thanks again for the converter!

I bought one of these w/joystick off of eBay and it works nice. I am assuming it was from you (The picture of the Kraft stick looks like the exact one I have). I read earlier in the post that different pc sticks work better w/different 5200 games. If this is true, I would consider buying/trading for another one w/different stick. I will pm you w/what I have that you listed as a want. Thanks again for the converter!

hey glad to hear from an ebay buyer ive sold close to 40 of them ebay is the wild west sometimes a bidding war erupts sometimes if just goes for the base price

i've been doing this since feb. and have not made very much money about enoug to buy a couple games but its not my goal

my goal is just to get a working controller in the hands of 5200 owners

i have another gravis red button joy i was going to offer but i kind of like it

i also have a spiffy white arcade type stick

its a very niche item and yep my adapter has a unique signature blue network wire, hot glue gobs, orange zip tie sometimes i link them with bicycle chain bits i did do 10 without the bicycle chain bits when i was out of standoffs those i just used a lot of hot glue

i just got pacland and scrapyard dog for the lynx

Edited by bohoki

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've been using my PC adapter for weeks and I just wanted to say that its an outstanding product. Worth every penny! Actually quite a bargain. Its a solid little adapter. It has performed without a flaw. Many thanks to Bohoki for hooking me up with this cool little device. You're a savior to 5200 fans everywhere!

I finally got the correct type of PC gamepad to use with the adapter I purchased and can say it is an excellent product that improves play quality on games that only need digital joysticks.

Would be cool if this could be made into a more finished product like the old Redemption adapters.

I'm using a Gravis PC gamepad, which is nice, but I'd prefer an NES or SNES pad.