IGNORED

Working on Cart & Rarity List - Need Input

NIAD

Trying to complete a ColecoVision cartridge list with rarity ratings (ratings so far taken from Digital Press which I think are a little outdated) and I have attached it here for anyone that wants to look it over. I would appreciate any and all input, additions and corrections to the list. It is in WordPad Rich Text Format (RTF) at the time as I just modified a list I had already started back in 1997. If anyone needs a basic text files, minus the page formatting of course, let me know.

A few quick questions:

- Were all Coleco releases also released by CBS Software with a CBS label?

- Did CBS Software release any other companie's games with a CBS label? I saw a "One on One Basketball by Micro Fun" cart on eBay with a CBS label, but not sure if this is legit or someone making them up themselves.

- Does anyone have a clue as to all the games TeleGames re-released on catridge with their own label. Of course they released Alcazar, Boulder Dash, Rock'N Bolt, the Bit Corp. games, Tournament Tennis and Motocross Racer with the TeleGames label, but what I need to know is did they also re-release any other games with the TeleGames label. I know they made the above and most of the games by Imagic and Interphase available for the ADAM on DDP or DISK, but am not sure if they also re-released with a TeleGames label anything else on cartridge.

Thanks in advance.

ADAM & ColecoVision Catridges.zip

• Like 1

As far as I know, CBS only released Coleco games.

Moreover, they were released in different boxes. I called them model 1 to 4 as explained here : http://www.colecoboxart.com/colecovision_box.htm

Nobody could tell me so far if the models depend on the region and/or on the release date. I'm only sure that "CBS1" were the first released in France.

Here is a checklist I made for ColecoVision games with my rarity opinions. I didn't do rarity for CBS or Telegames.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/159205-colecovision-game-list-pdf-updated-42310/page__fromsearch__1

Yes, I remember that thread well... as I'm sure you do :D . What my plan is, is to list every cartridge ever made that can be played on the ColecoVision and ADAM Computer so there is a reference that everyone can look to and hopefully have it pinned here on the forum.

Right now my list is a dirty text only file, but I like your layout from OpenOffice better and plan to download it or use MS Works/Office... eventually. Just want to do all the research first and have a complete listing with the help of everyone else before taking the final steps to format it nicely like you did. This way also, one could search through the list for just U.S., Europe, South American (Bootlegs), etc. and pull out that info. Will hopefully save a lot of confusion and prevent people from paying too much for say a TeleGames re-release of say Tournament Tennis by Imagic.

Would love to do something like Albert Y. has set up for all the Atari Rarity Lists with pictures of the carts and box scans, but I need to start somewhere and then add all the gloss later.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

Moreover, they were released in different boxes. I called them model 1 to 4 as explained here : http://www.colecoboxart.com/colecovision_box.htm

Nobody could tell me so far if the models depend on the region and/or on the release date. I'm only sure that "CBS1" were the first released in France.

Ok, thanks. BTW, love your website and all the pics. It is a treasure trove of information!

So the "One on One Basketball" cart with a CBS label is probably a homebrew product being sold as original (the original MicroFun cart had a plain white label with black text, nothing fancy... as can be seen by CVZone's auction of this cart). It looked that way to me when I saw it... forget what eBay Store has it, but it's easy enough to search for it.

Epyx games were released in CBS format

Thanks for the info! Any other items you can fill in the blanks for would be greatly appreciated.

Would that explain why the Epyx titles use two different cartridge shells? The one I remember most is the standard shell similar to Coleco's, but I have been seeing a number of Epyx carts that use a shell similar to Imagic's which have a tapper in them that lead to a thin hand grip at the top. Am I reading into the cart shell difference too much or would one be from Epyx and the other from CBS?

Edited by NIAD

Thanks for the info! Any other items you can fill in the blanks for would be greatly appreciated.

Would that explain why the Epyx titles use two different cartridge shells? The one I remember most is the standard shell similar to Coleco's, but I have been seeing a number of Epyx carts that use a shell similar to Imagic's which have a tapper in them that lead to a thin hand grip at the top. Am I reading into the cart shell difference too much or would one be from Epyx and the other from CBS?

Ntsc releases of Epyx games uses 2 diferrent cartridge shells (like you mentioned) , even 2 different manual too

CBS Epyx releases use regular Coleco CBS cartridge shells

Never seen any CBS Gateway to Apshai though... wonder if this one was released in CBS format :ponder:

Ntsc releases of Epyx games uses 2 diferrent cartridge shells (like you mentioned) , even 2 different manual too

CBS Epyx releases use regular Coleco CBS cartridge shells

Never seen any CBS Gateway to Apshai though... wonder if this one was released in CBS format :ponder:

I think it was. I'm pretty sure I saw it once but can't remember where...

I wholly support this initiative. My input is as follows.

1. I don’t think it is accurate to say that 100% of all Coleco games were also produced with the CBS type cartridge and label. I have some games in CBS packaging that is the US version of the cart/label.

2. This will be a bit of a chore if you try to take into account all cartridge, label and box varieties.

3. I had little dealings with Telegames USA so cant comment much there. But a substantial amount of dealings with Telegames UK. From the latter, I saw a lot of games released in those green plastic cases with photocopied manuals and sometimes photocopied box art. The carts/labels themselves were sometimes standard Coleco (eg Choplifter!), sometimes CBS Coleco (eg Donkey Kong), sometimes generic carts (eg Mr Do’s Castle). By this I mean that the cartridge was not a Coleco cart with the Coleco logo on back but similar cart design with no other markings on it. For example the version of Mr Do’s Castle sold by Telegames UK was a standard generic cart not the typical Parker Bros, with the same or similar label on it. Same with Frogger II Threeedeeep, same with Flipper Slipper – not the usual Spectravideo cart but the "generic" cart style.

4. From my research Castelo was not released on a Splicevision cart but made available by the programmer giving it to someone and that 2nd party released as a ROM only, I stand to be corrected. IF we open the floodgates to Splicevision and others, it would be very difficult to get a comprehensive list of all the South American and Taiwan bootlegs for this list.

5. I have seen 2 distinct boxes of H.E.R.O., I have assumed one to be American and the other for the rest of the world. This probably applies to more carts as well other than those CBS-specific varieties already mentioned.

6. A version of Jungle Hunt exists with a blue label with white text and no graphics – I believe this to be distributed by Telegames or perhaps them and CBS.

7. Schtroumpfs was also released as Schtroumpf but I believe the latter was only the French Canadian label provided separately with the Canadian release of Smurfs Rescue, this renaming was true for some other French Cdn labels

8. The following seem low on the scale to me, I’d be tempted to add 1 to 2 to the listed rarities for Alcazar, Alphabet Zoo, Amazing Bumpman, Boulderdash, Skiing

9. Zenji seems one or two high on the scale to me.

10. Some Imagic games came with coloured and black and white labels.

11. Assume we are going to ignore those white labeled games – jury is out as to whether they were CBS or Ecoleco offerings unless someone knows better.

12. My copy of One on One from Telegames UK is like the Jungle Hunt as noted above, a totally different label and cart from the original.

I wholly support this initiative. My input is as follows.

1. I dont think it is accurate to say that 100% of all Coleco games were also produced with the CBS type cartridge and label. I have some games in CBS packaging that is the US version of the cart/label.

2. This will be a bit of a chore if you try to take into account all cartridge, label and box varieties.

3. I had little dealings with Telegames USA so cant comment much there. But a substantial amount of dealings with Telegames UK. From the latter, I saw a lot of games released in those green plastic cases with photocopied manuals and sometimes photocopied box art. The carts/labels themselves were sometimes standard Coleco (eg Choplifter!), sometimes CBS Coleco (eg Donkey Kong), sometimes generic carts (eg Mr Dos Castle). By this I mean that the cartridge was not a Coleco cart with the Coleco logo on back but similar cart design with no other markings on it. For example the version of Mr Dos Castle sold by Telegames UK was a standard generic cart not the typical Parker Bros, with the same or similar label on it. Same with Frogger II Threeedeeep, same with Flipper Slipper not the usual Spectravideo cart but the "generic" cart style.

4. From my research Castelo was not released on a Splicevision cart but made available by the programmer giving it to someone and that 2nd party released as a ROM only, I stand to be corrected. IF we open the floodgates to Splicevision and others, it would be very difficult to get a comprehensive list of all the South American and Taiwan bootlegs for this list.

5. I have seen 2 distinct boxes of H.E.R.O., I have assumed one to be American and the other for the rest of the world. This probably applies to more carts as well other than those CBS-specific varieties already mentioned.

6. A version of Jungle Hunt exists with a blue label with white text and no graphics I believe this to be distributed by Telegames or perhaps them and CBS.

7. Schtroumpfs was also released as Schtroumpf but I believe the latter was only the French Canadian label provided separately with the Canadian release of Smurfs Rescue, this renaming was true for some other French Cdn labels

8. The following seem low on the scale to me, Id be tempted to add 1 to 2 to the listed rarities for Alcazar, Alphabet Zoo, Amazing Bumpman, Boulderdash, Skiing

9. Zenji seems one or two high on the scale to me.

10. Some Imagic games came with coloured and black and white labels.

11. Assume we are going to ignore those white labeled games jury is out as to whether they were CBS or Ecoleco offerings unless someone knows better.

12. My copy of One on One from Telegames UK is like the Jungle Hunt as noted above, a totally different label and cart from the original.

WOW! Thanks for all your input ColecoNut... it is tremendously helpful :!: I can run through the U.S. releases like it was the back of my hand because I had just about all of them back in the day. I didn't see any of the CBS games until I was working for Lyle Marschand running NIAD. I think the first CBS title I saw was Super Action Football (Soccer), which was buried on the top shelf of his office in a shipping envelope :x . I immediately proceeded to copy it with CopyCart :D . Through the late 80's and early 90's we bought a lot of CV and ADAM systems from members and then I started to see more of the CBS carts.

As far as TeleGames, I dealt with Terry Grantham and another women there quite often, but we only bought the Disk/DDP versions of carts they sold including Alcazar, Boulder Dash, Rock'N Bolt, Imagic, Interphase, etc. We never carried any of the cartridge versions for whatever reason... probably because of the piracy that was rampant in the community. The Disk/DDP were copy-protected, but if you knew what you were doing...

I saw a number of those Parker Brothers carts in standard shells with a PB label that I thought might be homebrew, but now MAYBE we can consider them as TeleGames.

I'll make a note on my listing re. the possibility that CBS used actual Coleco label carts.

I'm only going to deal with the carts for now, box variations I will leave in the trusty hands of Crapahute! :D

As far as Splice (Brazil), I'm only really concerned with original games which there is one, Castelo. Will make note that it may never have been released on cartridge. The bootlegs will be listed with their altered names (in most cases) just so no one will be fooled when they pop up on eBay or other site. There were 4 on eBay about a month ago and the guy was asking for about $100 :!:

Will ignore the WHITE LABEL carts as those are ADAM's House/eColeco productions and don't deserve mention, except maybe a warning.

As a whole, I know there are some good sources for this information (Digital Press, Rarity.com (they're nuts with the pricing), the Coleco FAQ, Yurkie's list, etc.), but they all are missing a little something in one area or the other or aren't being maintained like they need to be. So hopefully my addition will benefit the masses, especially with great input from you and everyone here!

Thanks again aand keep the info/corrections coming!

Edited by NIAD

As far as Splice (Brazil), I'm only really concerned with original games which there is one, Castelo. Will make note that it may never have been released on cartridge.

What is this Castelo game? This is the first time I've ever heard of it. Is there a prototype floating around or something?

I think this is a great endeavor. And to have it here on AtariAge would also be good to go along with the Atari list.

Possibly a way to get started (might not be a good idea at all):

If you obtained list of which, and quantity of each, cart participating owners have here at AA, might give you a start in knowing rarity of each one. But for that to work you'd need to have a lot of participation.

As far as Splice (Brazil), I'm only really concerned with original games which there is one, Castelo. Will make note that it may never have been released on cartridge.

What is this Castelo game? This is the first time I've ever heard of it. Is there a prototype floating around or something?

It is a "Castle Design" game (er. graphics design) cartridge that was developed by a programmer in Brazil with I assume the intention to distribute thru Splice. As I have just learned, an actual cartridge may never have been produced, but the rom image was passed on by the programmer and has traveled the world. I haven't really played with it too much to see if there is anything else to it.

Castelo (1985) (Splice).zip

• Like 3

It is a "Castle Design" game (er. graphics design) cartridge that was developed by a programmer in Brazil with I assume the intention to distribute thru Splice. As I have just learned, an actual cartridge may never have been produced, but the rom image was passed on by the programmer and has traveled the world. I haven't really played with it too much to see if there is anything else to it.

Cool! Thanks a lot, Jim! :D

Here is a HUGE update to the CV & ADAM Cartridge Rarity List (Release #2) that I have been working on the last two days. Thanks to everyone that has supplied info. here in this thread.

All that remains is to clean up the "Homebrew Cartridge" section and add a lot of "Homebrew ROM Images" to make them as complete as possible and then to look over everything once more to make sure there are no mistakes.

Hope everyone enjoys it and keep the updates and corrections coming!

NIAD\'s ADAM & ColecoVision Cartridge Rarity (Rel-2).zip

• Like 2

Here is a HUGE update to the CV & ADAM Cartridge Rarity List (Release #2) that I have been working on the last two days. Thanks to everyone that has supplied info. here in this thread.

All that remains is to clean up the "Homebrew Cartridge" section and add a lot of "Homebrew ROM Images" to make them as complete as possible and then to look over everything once more to make sure there are no mistakes.

THANKS Jim! We can always use an updated list. Have downloaded it and will unzip in a minute.

Edited by adamcomputer

THANKS Jim! We can always use an updated list. Have downloaded it and will unzip in a minute.

Glad to do so. Had all these lists from back in the day publishing the newsletter and then with the Coleco Faq, Digital Press, CV Zone, Yurkie, etc. a lot of holes were filled in or confusion on certain items was cleared up... not to forget ColecoNut, who is probably the best source for information and getting questions answered on the Canadian and European releases.

BTW, just finished up the final list and will spend some time looking it all over before I post it here.

Also, talked to someone at TeleGames UK about the 83 ColecoVision games they still offer, or should I say list on their site. The person stated that the list is in need of updating as they no longer have available some of them. More importantly, titles that are list with a " - P " after them are TeleGames reproductions. They use their own cart shell and reproduce a label from the original release or sometimes have designed a new label (this is the case with One on One Basketball which has CBS on it :x ). All the titles without the " - P " are original carts manufactured in the early eighties, but unknown what version they are in the case of Coleco and CBS Software releases.

Glad to do so. Had all these lists from back in the day publishing the newsletter and then with the Coleco Faq, Digital Press, CV Zone, Yurkie, etc. a lot of holes were filled in or confusion on certain items was cleared up... not to forget ColecoNut, who is probably the best source for information and getting questions answered on the Canadian and European releases.

BTW, just finished up the final list and will spend some time looking it all over before I post it here.

Also, talked to someone at TeleGames UK about the 83 ColecoVision games they still offer, or should I say list on their site. The person stated that the list is in need of updating as they no longer have available some of them. More importantly, titles that are list with a " - P " after them are TeleGames reproductions. They use their own cart shell and reproduce a label from the original release or sometimes have designed a new label (this is the case with One on One Basketball which has CBS on it :x ). All the titles without the " - P " are original carts manufactured in the early eighties, but unknown what version they are in the case of Coleco and CBS Software releases.

I think you might be missing these title from the USA list:

Alcazar the Forgotten Fortress by Telegames

Amazing Bumpman by Telegames

Boulder Dash by Telegames

Cosmic Crisis by Telegames

Kung Fu Superkicks by Telegames

M*A*S*H by 20th Century Fox

Make-A-Face by Spinnaker

Rock 'n' Bolt by Telegames

Tank Wars by Bit Corp

You can see these title listed on the Colecovision list over at VGList.com. I hope that helps you out.

[i think you might be missing these title from the USA list:

Alcazar the Forgotten Fortress by Telegames

Amazing Bumpman by Telegames

Boulder Dash by Telegames

Cosmic Crisis by Telegames

Kung Fu Superkicks by Telegames

M*A*S*H by 20th Century Fox

Make-A-Face by Spinnaker

Rock 'n' Bolt by Telegames

Tank Wars by Bit Corp

You can see these title listed on the Colecovision list over at VGList.com. I hope that helps you out.

I purposely listed all "US Releases" as dated from 1982-1985 to make the purists happy... I actually went back and forth on this because TeleGames was a US company based in Texas (as well as in the UK), but they didn't release anything for the ColecoVision or for that matter the ADAM (ddp and disk versions of carts) until 1986 (unless I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty confident it wasn't until 1986).

So TeleGames releases that were original to the ColecoVision (Alcazar, Amazing Bumpman, Boulder Dash, Cosmic Crisis, Rock'N Bolt, Skiing, Strike It! and Tank Wars) will not be listed in the "US Releases 1982-1985" section.

Kung-Fu SK is actually a renamed Chuck Norris SK by Xonox since TeleGames wouldn't pay to license Chuck Norris' name, so it's a TeleGames re-production.

So basically, I'm giving TeleGames their own section with all the above mentioned game releases as well as trying to list out all or most of their re-production carts.

M.A.S.H. was never officially released by 20th Century Fox in a boxed form for purchase in stores as far as I know. If there is some proof that it was, I will gladly move it to the proper section. As far as I always heard, it was a proto dumped to a rom file that first got circulated amongst the ADAM Users Groups as Public Domain. Same goes for Porky's, Video Hustler, The Yolks on You and a couple others.

As far as Make-A-Face, this was just a very limited box variation. The cartridge label conatined in the box did indeed read "Facemaker" and I made a note to this fact in the list.

Thank you for your input as everything and anything is welcomed. I hope to have this list as near to perfect as it can be so that no other possibilities of confusion may exist and lord knows all the TeleGames and Homebrew re-productions and proto reproductions have caused enough confusion.

Edited by NIAD

OK, here is RELEASE #3 of my rarity list. I think this will be the final list I will need to post unless, of course, I made some

spelling or other mistake that needs to be corrected. Also, if anyone wishes to discuss the rarity ratings further, we can try to hammer this all out. Since I didn't want to re-invent the wheel and add more confusion, I used Digital Press' rarity ratings (which are a little outdated), Yurkie's ratings from his list and then filled in my own ratings for items that weren't covered by the previous two sources. I still would like to look over ColecoVision Zone's ratings to get further comnfirmation as to what is listed in my list and will do so soon.

Hope everyone enjoys it and PLEASE... if you find any mistakes or don't agree with something, post a message here.

NIADs ADAM & ColecoVision Cartridge Rarity (Rel-3).rtf

NIADs ADAM & ColecoVision Cartridge Rarity (Rel-3).zip

Edited by NIAD