IGNORED

Playing Atari with a ten year old

Despina83

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I got to play Atari with my brother's ten year old step-daughter, who unfortunately, I only get to see once a year due to them living on the other side of the country. Anyway, she really enjoyed it. We played Jr. Pacman (I finally managed to beat the first level a few times), Ms. Pac-man, Tapper, Breakout, Centipede, etc. She said "Atari? What's that? What?? I'm only ten, I don't know!" I was also amused when she lost while playing Tapper and said "I was just about to get to you guys, if you had just chilled like manly men!" and everytime a guy would send the glass back, she'd yell that he's "ungrateful". While playing Summer Games, she was convinced that the swimmer was in fact a bird and wouldn't hear otherwise. Which is funny, because I'm pretty sure I thought the same thing when I was a toddler and my brother would play. She thought Q*Bert stunk because she couldn't get used to the controls (it does take awhile), and my joystick needing to be replaced didn't help matters. When Q*Bert "swore" she said, "what's that question mark? Is he questioning my skills?!" Anyway, from what I've seen, a kid can have just as much fun with an Atari as they can with a PS3. On another note, I was dissapointed that my brother claimed that he'd never seen Midnight Magic in his life, when I feel almost certain that it was one of the games he owned when I was two, three years old. Maybe I'm crazy.

• Like 4

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I got to play Atari with my brother's ten year old step-daughter, who unfortunately, I only get to see once a year due to them living on the other side of the country. Anyway, she really enjoyed it. We played Jr. Pacman (I finally managed to beat the first level a few times), Ms. Pac-man, Tapper, Breakout, Centipede, etc. She said "Atari? What's that? What?? I'm only ten, I don't know!" I was also amused when she lost while playing Tapper and said "I was just about to get to you guys, if you had just chilled like manly men!" and everytime a guy would send the glass back, she'd yell that he's "ungrateful". While playing Summer Games, she was convinced that the swimmer was in fact a bird and wouldn't hear otherwise. Which is funny, because I'm pretty sure I thought the same thing when I was a toddler and my brother would play. She thought Q*Bert stunk because she couldn't get used to the controls (it does take awhile), and my joystick needing to be replaced didn't help matters. When Q*Bert "swore" she said, "what's that question mark? Is he questioning my skills?!" Anyway, from what I've seen, a kid can have just as much fun with an Atari as they can with a PS3. On another note, I was dissapointed that my brother claimed that he'd never seen Midnight Magic in his life, when I feel almost certain that it was one of the games he owned when I was two, three years old. Maybe I'm crazy.

:thumbsup: Brian O likes this.

Oops, sorry, thought I was on Facebook for a minute there. :)

• Like 1

Yeah man, we ever have kids they're going to be playing it old. I've actually found children like older games. My little cousins had a blast last Christmas playing 'the first Wii' when I plugged in Athletic World on my toploader NES for them with Power Pad, mind you.

• Like 1

from what I've seen, a kid can have just as much fun with an Atari as they can with a PS3.

Correct! The graphics only have a small part to play in how enjoyable a game is. It's really all down to the gameplay, not the graphics which we who play Atari 2600's may have noticed, is exactly what Atari games are: all game no graphics.

Sidenote: alot of modern games can be reduced to space invaders when you take out the flashy graphics.