IGNORED

Competition Pro Joysick given...what system is it for?

swlovinist

I recently was given a Competition pro Joystick with built in Y-cable that has a 9 pin connector. I have the 5200 controllers already so I know that it is not that. What other systems was the Competition Pro made for? Is this probably for the Colecovision? Any help would be great. Thank you :)

• 9 years later...

I wanted to bump this old thread as I recently picked up a Competition Pro just like this one, only in beige. It doesn't seem to work with the ColecoVision but it works perfectly fine as an Atari-compatible joystick. Weird. Anyone have any more information about this or what system it's actually intended for?

2020-11-21 18-45-13.jpeg

In Europe usually those were Atari types with both buttons being wired to the same wire (so they are amidextrous).

A few ones were made for specific system, usually indicated with a sticker or switch to change between modes.

The plug on yours is interesting. The Amstrad CPC supporter two joystick with such a "dual connector" system.

Either you scored a very rare (for North America) Amstrad CPC joystick, or other systems in the US also used that "one connector two joystick system. The Colecovision seems more likely tho.

For the Colecovision, may you need to daisy chain the original stick on that connector?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 8:16 AM, CatPix said:

In Europe usually those were Atari types with both buttons being wired to the same wire (so they are amidextrous).

A few ones were made for specific system, usually indicated with a sticker or switch to change between modes.

The plug on yours is interesting. The Amstrad CPC supporter two joystick with such a "dual connector" system.

Either you scored a very rare (for North America) Amstrad CPC joystick, or other systems in the US also used that "one connector two joystick system. The Colecovision seems more likely tho.

For the Colecovision, may you need to daisy chain the original stick on that connector?

It's definitely not for the ColecoVision, the buttons aren't independent and plugging in a CV controller caused some directions to stop working. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what model this is and I haven't been having much luck.

Also worth noting that this is an older Competition Pro with leaf switches as opposed to microswitches.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of the Coin Controls.  I notice in the 5200 version (a great thrift store pickup in the '90s I might say.) that the left button is the bottom Fire button or main fire button and the right button is the auxiliary button or top fire button.  

First of all, is there a button swap switch somewhere in the user-friendly world of not opening the machine?  Second, is there a way to do it with electronic surgery?  3 would a way to do it without your joystick being operated on be as simple as inserting a female to male 15 pin which just swaps the one for the bottom button and the top button if you wanted to left hand at joystick assuming you want your main fire on your right thumb?  

Also was there a version of a 5200bgame that has distinct left and right fire that isn't the twin stick game that could also use that kind of substitution similar to Tutankham?  I know the default Atari controller could handle it you just adjust your hand grip so that the index is on the Main and the thumb is on the auxiliary.