IGNORED

7800 HSC Season 3 Variety Pack Round 7

roadrunner

:cool: STOP THE PRESSES!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The streak is over!!

Player 1 Wins!!! I beat the computer 2-1!!

I was winning 2-0 going into the bottom of the 9th but the CPU was determined not to get shut out. :(

It could have been worse the CPU had the bases loaded 4 times, but too give up only 1 run is something special. :)

The streak is over!!

I was winning 2-0 going into the bottom of the 9th but the CPU was determined not to get shut out. :(

It could have been worse the CPU had the bases loaded 4 times, but too give up only 1 run is something special. :)

Thanks. :)

I'm a little bit worried about Atarifever. He's scoring more runs than me.

I might have to give this game a few more goes. :ponder:

But i was the first one to beat the computer in 22 years. :)

The streak is over!!

Congrats on doing the impossible. I am very impressed

Congrats! I bet it was a fun game. The sheer impossibility of it is what makes a close game going into the late innings so enjoyable. I'm not going to say this is a good game. However, I don't think I hate it anymore.

I have my work cut out for me tonight. Game for last night was called on account of Star Wars watching with my wife (which always takes priority), and I thought you might beat the game first in the meantime. :)

The streak is over!!

Did your 7800 start to spark and emit smoke? Were there any fireworks? Great job!!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone! :) No smoke or fireworks :( I was liking my chances of winning going into the 9th up 2-0.

I feel like i might be able to shut out the computer.

The CPU wants a rematch. They just took a shot of steroids and i think they might be corking their bats too. :ponder:

The Atariland Red's are known steroid users. How else do you explain returning a ball to first base from the wall while the runner is still only half way to first?

Thanks everyone! :) No smoke or fireworks :( I was liking my chances of winning going into the 9th up 2-0.

The CPU wants a rematch. They just took a shot of steroids and i think they might be corking their bats too. :ponder:

The Atariland Red's are known steroid users. How else do you explain returning a ball to first base from the wall while the runner is still only half way to first?

Someone check those Atarliand Reds' hat size increase over the years...

Someone check those Atarliand Reds' hat size increase over the years...

lol... well there was no steroid testing in 1988 when this game was made. So i guess the Atariland Reds can't fail a drug test. :ponder:

I've been playing with the glitch all day. I thought I had it figured out two seperate times, and got ahead 12 to nothing in the first 3 innings both times. Then the glitch crashed the game like usual the next time I went to use it. I figured either we'd all use it and go with those scores, or disqualify any scores using it. It would be obvious, as you aren't getting 20 hits in this game any other way. :)

For those of you not familiar with it, the glitch is that you swing right before or right after the pitcher throws, then you hold down and the swing button and you hit the ball even though your guy doesn't swing. Breaks the game most of the time with weird graphical effects and disappearing players. Game usually locks up.

However, I got to 12 both times before it broke. I figure we can all maybe figure it out. It isn't guaranteed homer, but it is contact every time.

Here's what seems to work best:

1) I only press down and swing the second time as the ball crosses the plate.

2) I don't do it if it looks like the pitch is going outside, as I think hitting an impossible to hit ball is what breaks the game.

3) I still aim for the walks, as it breaks less often for me when there are players on base.

Timing pressing down and the button actually feels more natural than the actual swing mechanic, and it is a shame if we can't get this to work. Timing it like this still allows you to miss, and most of the hits are fair hits, with few homers and a lot of outs. It just gets over the fact that the ball is usually thrown faster than your guy swings, and it's fun to beat up on the computer when it is working.

I've been playing with the glitch all day. I thought I had it figured out two seperate times, and got ahead 12 to nothing in the first 3 innings both times. Then the glitch crashed the game like usual the next time I went to use it. I figured either we'd all use it and go with those scores, or disqualify any scores using it. It would be obvious, as you aren't getting 20 hits in this game any other way. :)

For those of you not familiar with it, the glitch is that you swing right before or right after the pitcher throws, then you hold down and the swing button and you hit the ball even though your guy doesn't swing. Breaks the game most of the time with weird graphical effects and disappearing players. Game usually locks up.

However, I got to 12 both times before it broke. I figure we can all maybe figure it out. It isn't guaranteed homer, but it is contact every time.

Here's what seems to work best:

1) I only press down and swing the second time as the ball crosses the plate.

2) I don't do it if it looks like the pitch is going outside, as I think hitting an impossible to hit ball is what breaks the game.

3) I still aim for the walks, as it breaks less often for me when there are players on base.

Timing pressing down and the button actually feels more natural than the actual swing mechanic, and it is a shame if we can't get this to work. Timing it like this still allows you to miss, and most of the hits are fair hits, with few homers and a lot of outs. It just gets over the fact that the ball is usually thrown faster than your guy swings, and it's fun to beat up on the computer when it is working.

I can't allow this method to be used. It's abusing a bug in the game. Their is a rule about this in the 2600 HSC.

I think i should add it to the 7800 HSC rule book.

It would take the challenge and fun out of trying to beat the computer.

I can't allow this method to be used. It's abusing a bug in the game. Their is a rule about this in the 2600 HSC.

It would take the challenge and fun out of trying to beat the computer

That's cool; it doesn't work much to begin with, crashing the game as often as not. Still, it'd be nice to figure out for personal play. I know I found it fun gettinmg 12 runs on the Reds. In any case, it'll be pretty obvious when someone does it. If you have more than 4 hits, you probably cheated. :)

It also seems to glitch less in the emmulator, but that may just seem that way to me. If you totally hate the computer and, for your own purposes, wanted to destroy him just once, you could combine the glitch with save states and probably get a hundred runs on him, reloading the last save after every glitch.

Edited by Atarifever

It would take the challenge and fun out of trying to beat the computer

That's cool; it doesn't work much to begin with, crashing the game as often as not. Still, it'd be nice to figure out for personal play. I know I found it fun gettinmg 12 runs on the Reds. In any case, it'll be pretty obvious when someone does it. If you have more than 4 hits, you probably cheated. :)

It also seems to glitch less in the emmulator, but that may just seem that way to me. If you totally hate the computer and, for your own purposes, wanted to destroy him just once, you could combine the glitch with save states and probably get a hundred runs on him, reloading the last save after every glitch.

For me when i tried this glitch out in emulation the game crashed in the first inning, but it was fun hitting a 2 run bomb before it crashed tho.

Two new hints:

1) Reset any game where you don't get a couple runs walked in or homered in the first two innings. He seems to toss better stuff later.

2) If you are in a position to take an out without ending an inning, and you really need a walk, don't swing on a full count. He tosses a lot of balls on that pitch.

i lost 6-11 on realsports baseball.

it was the first time i ever scored more than 1, which i only did twice.

post-12509-129271468444_thumb.jpg

i found that the ball/walking thing was a great tip on here. once i get at least two men on, i sometimes hit the ball if a good pitch comes, and was successful a few times at scoring points. sometimes the computer suffers the same fate as we do as its throw is not fast enough to catch any of your runners.

Well, i didn't win, but I saw what happens when you go to extras. Computer adds an R to the message. I'd be mad at his comeback, but my homer to get those two in the 8th, combined with the amazing play from the outfield to end his threat in the 9th felt like winning.

It was hard not to swing more (as I feel like I'm starting to read his pitches), but the bigger payoff is still walking guys on. My last homer got 2 runs in because of that.

I wish I'd ended the 10th tied, as i am interested in what happens next. Judging from that extra R and the fact there is no room on the scoreboard, I am guessing it would glitch out. Either that or it is programmed to either win or lose in the 10th, depending on the point spread. :)

I hate to say it, but I like this game quite a bit now. I don't even just not hate it. I genuinely like it.

post-5952-129281069147_thumb.jpg

Edited by Atarifever

Well, i didn't win, but I saw what happens when you go to extras. Computer adds an R to the message. I'd be mad at his comeback, but my homer to get those two in the 8th, combined with the amazing play from the outfield to end his threat in the 9th felt like winning.

It was hard not to swing more (as I feel like I'm starting to read his pitches), but the bigger payoff is still walking guys on. My last homer got 2 runs in because of that.

I wish I'd ended the 10th tied, as i am interested in what happens next. Judging from that extra R and the fact there is no room on the scoreboard, I am guessing it would glitch out. Either that or it is programmed to either win or lose in the 10th, depending on the point spread. :)

I hate to say it, but I like this game quite a bit now. I don't even just not hate it. I genuinely like it.

I'm pretty sure this game doesn't end after 10 innings.

I remember playing a extra inning game and with each extra inning the scoreboard will no longer show the first inning and so on.

But it's been awhile since i played an extra inning game.

Edited by roadrunner

I remember playing a extra inning game and with each extra inning the scoreboard will no longer show the first inning and so on.

Do you remember if it always does that "Computer R wins" thing, or if that is only something that comes up when he wins a certain way (he homered again).

Good thing he homered too. I was catching stuff at the wall all night. Once you start to recognize the hits, you can actually field a lot stuff pretty well.

Do you remember if it always does that "Computer R wins" thing, or if that is only something that comes up when he wins a certain way (he homered again).

Good thing he homered too. I was catching stuff at the wall all night. Once you start to recognize the hits, you can actually field a lot stuff pretty well.

I don't remember the Computer R Wins at the end of the game. Like i said it's been awhile since i played an extra inning game.

I'll try to get in a few more games in before this round ends. Hopefully i'll play an extra inning game.

Noticed how many hits atomickneedrop had and started to adjust my own hitting. He has two pitches I can read and sometimes hit. Combine that with the balls he throws, and you can actually hurt the guy.

So I won a game tonight. However, there will be no celebration in Atariville. The win came at too high a price.

See, I imagine I am not the only person who gets mad at games and throws the controller. Well, in order to protect my controllers, years ago I started to simply toss the controller out of my hand and up into the air. Then it landed softly on the carpet. This allows me to get my frustrartion out without the damage spiking the controller could do. Well, when the first baseman was wandering around the mound and cost me an out for the milllionth time, I tossed the controller up. As I flicked my hand away, it caught the cord and drove the controller down into the ground. Typically, no problem. It would hit the nice soft carpet and no damage done.

In the end of September Newfoundland had its worst hurricaine in 100 years. We lost our basement carpet (among other things). As the picture shows, all that is left there now is concrete and some dried glue (the Government Disaster Relief will be replacing it, but that isn't done yet). Anyway, now I have a controller flying at the ground as if spiked, and the ground is bare concrete.

I will miss this controller. I feel very guilty, as I do not have a bad temper, and am very, very, very protective of my gaming stuff. I have a spare, and a joypad, and a converted NES pad, and a 7800 arcade stick, and a couple 2600 sticks, but this was my main 7800 controller. I could almost have a funeral I feel that bad.

Still, I beat the evil, cheating SOB. So that;s something.

post-5952-129289489056_thumb.jpg

post-5952-129289490567_thumb.jpg