IGNORED

Gridlike background

A-T-A-R-I

Ok, so I bought a console at the local Sallys today, come home to try it, and it works nicely! Just for $5

Now, even so it works, there is a faint grid type background on every game I play. On some, there's no grid, but faint up and down line shadows in the background. Does anyone know what can be done to fix that?

Just noticed that there is some fuzziness to the picture too.

I just put on a new cord and it still is fuzzy.

Edited by A-T-A-R-I

Ok, so I bought a console at the local Sallys today, come home to try it, and it works nicely! Just for $5

Now, even so it works, there is a faint grid type background on every game I play. On some, there's no grid, but faint up and down line shadows in the background. Does anyone know what can be done to fix that?

Just noticed that there is some fuzziness to the picture too.

I just put on a new cord and it still is fuzzy.

Sounds like noise inducted into the RF cable. Get a better shielded one.

If you are using a switch box instead of an RF to coax adapter then check all your connections and slide the switch back and forth a few times. If the picture gets better or worse while wiggling the connections or switch then repair/replace the box or upgrade to the adapter.

Might try using a shorter cord. Try isolating your TV and 2600 from everything else (move it to the basement?) You could try building a special building that blocks all interference and playing in there. Might also try playing with sunglasses to minimize the effect. It could also be the connector on, or inside the TV. Try a different TV. Find a friend with a 2600 and see where the problem is by swapping consoles, cables, TV's, game cartridges.

If it's any consolation, I noticed the same effect whilst playing Tape Worm on my 2600 Jr yesterday. The "shadow grid" corresponded to the unseen rows that the worm could travel along. That makes me wonder if it has to do with the programming in some way? At any rate, it was actually helpful in guiding the worm!

So if I replace the TIA chip, would that cure the problem?

No, the shielding is your problem. I told you in my first post already.

Well, to be fair, Thomas, he DID say that he tried two different cables allready, same result. Of course, someone else suggested pics, and THAT would be very helpfull ATARI. :)

So if I replace the TIA chip, would that cure the problem?

No, the shielding is your problem. I told you in my first post already.

Well, to be fair, Thomas, he DID say that he tried two different cables allready, same result. Of course, someone else suggested pics, and THAT would be very helpfull ATARI. :)

Also: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/155680-harmony-cart-interference/page__hl__shielding