IGNORED

RMT - knowing where in a song we are

Rybags

Just adding some RMT music to my game.

For stuff like lost life, level end, it will play some short pieces. Is there a way of working out when the end of a track or song is reached? Or the progress of a piece being played, ie some RAM variable/s that correspond to progress through the song like you'd see if playing it back in the Win version.

Note during the course of gameplay itself, RMT isn't being used - it's likely I'll only use it in a single-stream fashion during menu or specific parts of the game where no other sounds are occurring.

Yes, there are ways...

F.e. I did it in the instrumentarium tune long ago. I did an insert-/bypass-hack in the playing routine, checking whether songline 23 (or so) was reached, to turn on the 2-tone-filter. Then turn it off again at line 25.

I don't quite remember how I did it exactly, but the insert routine was checking a zero-page reg.

The method I used, it's still tricky however, because the values to be checked actually depend on the location of the song itself. At least, that's how I remember it.

(maybe I'd need to recheck this all)