IGNORED

Seaweed Assault

Random Terrain

OK, makes sense. I wasn't aware of that. I know that AA makes one-off carts. Can they handle games that use Superchip RAM? Even if it doesn't get sold in bulk, it would be pretty cool to have it on a cart.

The "melody board" option is capable of doing it, but $25 plus shipping makes it unappealing to roll your own run.

If Al wants to carry it in the AA store then he'll have other terms for RT.

I wish there was an alternate source of melody boards. I have a WIP that isn't really appropriate for the AA store, but its 32k, which makes alternatives tough.

That sucks. I like this game, though. I think once the game is finalized, I may just make my own label and pony up the $25 to have a cart made. That is, if RT gives me permission to use the binary :D

-B

It's been a while since I've drawn anything, but figured I'd have some fun with your game concept. While I'm no Nathan Strum, the artwork definitely turned out better than I had hoped.

Hope this inspires you in some small way to keep this game going.

Any feedback welcome.

-B

post-27802-129150080764_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

That looks nice and professional. Only thing 'wrong' with it is that the tentacle in the game is a seaweed tentacle. The mature semi-sentient seaweed has the ability to reach up and do harm when it can pinpoint an enemy. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

That looks nice and professional. Only thing 'wrong' with it is that the tentacle in the game is a seaweed tentacle. The mature semi-sentient seaweed has the ability to reach up and do harm when it can pinpoint an enemy. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Updated the tentacle to more closely resemble a piece of seaweed with a claw-hand at the end. I also gave it a lighter color, to separate it somewhat from the other seaweed.

I also created cart labels. Turns out the image with all of the characters, etc. won't fit on such a small label without being too small. So I created an alternative label for the cart, that just includes the logo and seaweed.

-B

post-27802-129158425841_thumb.png

post-27802-129158427457_thumb.png

post-27802-129158428162_thumb.png

post-27802-129158429118_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Updated the tentacle to more closely resemble a piece of seaweed with a claw-hand at the end. I also gave it a lighter color, to separate it somewhat from the other seaweed.

I also created cart labels. Turns out the image with all of the characters, etc. won't fit on such a small label without being too small. So I created an alternative label for the cart, that just includes the logo and seaweed.

Thanks. Looks great. Now when I finish the game in the year 2525, all we'll need to do is update the copyright date. :D

Thanks. Looks great. Now when I finish the game in the year 2525, all we'll need to do is update the copyright date. :D

Thanks! It was fun to make. Changing the copyright's a piece of cake -- hopefully I'll be changing it to an earlier date, though :)

-B

How about this idea? You'll still get a new health canister for every 100 pieces of seaweed you shoot (nothing to do with the score), but instead of getting a special health canister for every thousand points you reach, you'll earn a health module. "What's a health module?" you ask? If you'll stop interrupting, I'll tell you. :D

Instead of starting out with 3 lives where you lose a ship and a new one replaces it, you'll start out with 3 Emergency Modules. When the Manatee runs out of energy, an Emergency Module kicks in and fills up the health bar and clears your sector like a smart bomb. You might ask "If Emergency Modules can do that, why don't they send down a bunch of modified Emergency Modules instead of the Manatee?" The answer is simple: Emergency Modules are expensive and difficult to make. They are to be used sparingly and to make sure they aren't overused, you won't get any points when an Emergency Module clears your sector. The only way to get more Emergency Modules is to keep racking up points. Every time you reach the next thousand (1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, and so on), you'll get a new Emergency Module.

Question:

Should the Emergency Module drop and you'll have to touch it or should it just be added to your inventory with a sound effect notification? My vote is for the second choice.

But why not give the player points for what is destroyed when the sector is cleared? Or, at the very least, a fixed amount -- say 50 points?

My thinking about this is related to the little dilemma (keep the area clear or let the seaweed build up). If players get too greedy and let a lot of seaweed build up, then they get tangled in it and end up losing all health, part of the consequences should be no points when an Emergency Module is activated. I know that players can eventually lose all health without being greedy by simply banging into baby seaweed, getting grabbed by a mature seaweed tentacle, or shooting or touching the Wrothopods, but if they bang into things that much, they'd probably welcome a 'smart bomb.' So players that aren't that good yet will get some relief and greedy players will be punished. It will either be "Thank God! I can move around again!" or "Damn! Why did I have to be so greedy?!! I lost all of those points!"

Besides that, players are getting full health and are possibly being rescued from being tangled up in the seaweed. That's basically two rewards from losing all heath. Seems like receiving absolutely no points would make losing all health more of a big deal.

Edited by Random Terrain

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone slightly interested in this program, it's pretty clear that I won't have it finished before 2010 is over. I hope to finish it in early 2011 so I can get to work on finishing the other games I started years ago. After that, I can work on the adventure game that has been bubbling in the back of my brain for over 25 years.

I wasn't counting on a Christmas release, but I am anxious for an update binary to see some of the changes discussed. ;)

I check this thread daily.

Same here. Can't wait to see a new binary.

Thanks. Just wanted to let you guys know I haven't abandoned this game. I'll finish it even if it makes my brain bleed. And thanks for checking daily, but you don't have to do that. When I post a new version, I won't silently sneak it in the first post. I'll make a new post saying there is an updated version in the first post.

Thanks. Just wanted to let you guys know I haven't abandoned this game. I'll finish it even if it makes my brain bleed. And thanks for checking daily, but you don't have to do that. When I post a new version, I won't silently sneak it in the first post. I'll make a new post saying there is an updated version in the first post.

I'm psyched! It's the best single screen shooter in some time.

• 3 months later...

I was already behind when I fell on the ice and hit my head, then I didn't feel like doing much of anything for over a month. Now I feel like doing some major work on this game. I'd like to get this finished so I can work on other bB programs. Here's a question for anyone who has time to answer:

Do you think I should try to finish the game with the current version of bB instead of waiting until the new DPC+ version of bB is finished and bug-free? Ten multicolored sprites sure would solve a lot of the problems with this game, but by the time I learn how to use the new version of bB, Justin Bieber will probably be a grandfather.