IGNORED

Legends I tips?

Opry99er

Adam,

Legends is turning out to be a very cool game... I'm starting to understand the balance between levels and risk/reward. I have been grinding around Wizard's Rock for about an hour now.... learning the capabilities of different enemies. I'm still a Level 1, but I'm close to leveling up. It's really a nice user interface once you get the hang of it and get used to the controls. Since I can only cast Level 1 spells, I'm basically just doing a straight "hit" attack with my Fighter, healing or hitting with my Ranger, Magic Attack with my wizard, and either healing or hitting with my cleric.... it seems to do the trick in most cases... My last battle I was dying bad... Out of magics to heal, out of magic to attack, armor reducing spells had wiped out my armor, I was slowed by a spell, so only got one hit a turn... I was getting mauled... I had to flee and barely got out with all my members alive. Quick return to Wizard's Rock to rest up, save game, and back out. =)

If a party member dies, how would one go about retrieving them? Does it have to do with the temple?

Legends is turning out to be a very cool game... I'm starting to understand the balance between levels and risk/reward. I have been grinding around Wizard's Rock for about an hour now.... learning the capabilities of different enemies. I'm still a Level 1, but I'm close to leveling up. It's really a nice user interface once you get the hang of it and get used to the controls. Since I can only cast Level 1 spells, I'm basically just doing a straight "hit" attack with my Fighter, healing or hitting with my Ranger, Magic Attack with my wizard, and either healing or hitting with my cleric.... it seems to do the trick in most cases... My last battle I was dying bad... Out of magics to heal, out of magic to attack, armor reducing spells had wiped out my armor, I was slowed by a spell, so only got one hit a turn... I was getting mauled... I had to flee and barely got out with all my members alive. Quick return to Wizard's Rock to rest up, save game, and back out. =)

Yep, that's the job. Each level of experience increases your fighting/spell-casting prowess, and also increases hit and magic points. It may take some time, but level 4 is probably a good level to go exploring around with. (Wizard can cast Firestorm2 at that level.)

If a party member dies, how would one go about retrieving them? Does it have to do with the temple?

Yes. There's only one way in the game to revive dead characters, and you need a quest item to do it.

Adamantyr

Spent a couple hours last night battling and working. I've got a ton of good potions now, almost to "level-up" point, and I'm learning which enemies to run from and which enemies to battle. Skeletons are fun... I had 8 skeletons last night and I wiped them all out with little fanfare. =) I'm going to try to get to level 2 before I go to the dungeon.

Ahhh... we posted at the same time... Level 4 you say? Well, I'll keep grinding--- =) I don't mind grinding that much--- I'm having fun and it's great to play a game on the TI... I hope to put it on my CF7 and play it on real gear when I get off the road. =)

You can go exploring sooner, but obviously the further away from Wizard's Rock you are, the more likely you are to get into trouble. The more levels of experience you have, the bigger pool of hit points and magic points to get around and survive encounters.

Dungeons come in two flavors: Those with items, those with monsters.

Item dungeons have a lot of traps, which means you can take a lot of damage disarming them. Item dungeons also have equipment, which lets you make your characters a bit stronger despite their level, at least for melee and defensive power.

Monster dungeons have monster encounters instead of traps. Items are usually just potions, although there are valuable quest items in these places as well... One nasty problem is that if monsters in dungeons cast the slow spell, it PERSISTS until you leave the dungeon. I really would like to think that's a bug and not deliberate.

To fix the persistent slow issue, change this line in LGDN~MON to the following:

1600 CALL LINK("A",0) :: CALL LINK("A",10) :: CALL COLOR(#3,1) :: CALL LOCATE(#4,R*8-7,C*8-7) :: SL,_P=0

Adamantyr

Edited by adamantyr

Fantastic advice, Adam!!! =) And thanks for the cheat/fix. =) The slow spell is freaking horrible, especially since I'm still at a low level. I have the necessary experience points to train my characters but can't seem to get it accomplished. I've read the manual a few times and don't see anything about leveling up--- I had assumed it was automatic. In any case, I'll be trudging on. Thanks again

Fantastic advice, Adam!!! =) And thanks for the cheat/fix. =) The slow spell is freaking horrible, especially since I'm still at a low level. I have the necessary experience points to train my characters but can't seem to get it accomplished. I've read the manual a few times and don't see anything about leveling up--- I had assumed it was automatic. In any case, I'll be trudging on. Thanks again

Go to the Adventurer's Guild in Wizard's Rock.

Adamantyr

That's what I thought too, but after I went out and fought more monsters and gained more experience points, that number actually went UP... I'll keep grinding away... I'll post some more pix if I have further issues. =)

And you were looking at the same character? Each character class has different XP requirements.

Adamantyr

Good to hear. Feel free to post your discoveries on the thread. Nobody's EVER done a full walk-through of the game.

All I can say is, your first parties must have had really BAD stats... I think the 1.0 version of Legends is a lot more difficult, and it also has slightly different artwork.

Adamantyr

• 3 years later...

I hate to be 'that guy', but I fiending to play Legends after 20+ years and I'm having some difficulty with setting up.

I'm in need of a step-by-step idiot's guide of sorts.

I'm using classic99 and a Legends .dsk acquired from this page:

http://tigameshelf.net/xb.htm

I got to a point where I could load the game, but when I left Wizards Rock, I got an in-game disk error. I'm assuming it was because my game couldn't be saved or of the read-only nature of .dsk files, but I don't really know and I don't recall the specific error because...

...now I'm at a point where I can't even run the game (RUN "DSK1.LOAD")

Are there any kind souls out there that could give me a from-the-absolute-ground up, step-by-step guide to getting the game running and avoid errors? Even suggestions on where to store the classic99 core and game files would be appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!

If it is just an error saving to the .DSK file, it's because Classic99 will not do that.

You can get 'around that problem' by by using Ti99Dir to extract the files from the .DSK image and then save them into a Classic99 FIAD directory. When you do that, you'll be able to read and write files.

* Now I have no personal knowledge of this program, so if the disk was copy protected or anything like that, the above probably will not work, otherwise you should be 'good to go'.

I hate to be 'that guy', but I fiending to play Legends after 20+ years and I'm having some difficulty with setting up.

I'm in need of a step-by-step idiot's guide of sorts.

I'm using classic99 and a Legends .dsk acquired from this page:

http://tigameshelf.net/xb.htm

I got to a point where I could load the game, but when I left Wizards Rock, I got an in-game disk error. I'm assuming it was because my game couldn't be saved or of the read-only nature of .dsk files, but I don't really know and I don't recall the specific error because...

...now I'm at a point where I can't even run the game (RUN "DSK1.LOAD")

Are there any kind souls out there that could give me a from-the-absolute-ground up, step-by-step guide to getting the game running and avoid errors? Even suggestions on where to store the classic99 core and game files would be appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!

Using Classic99...

1. Download my custom Legends zip, which is both fixed for filename convention in Classic99 and has the slow spell persistence bug fixed: LEGENDS.zip

2. Extract all contained files into the DSK1 folder in Classic99

3. Start the emulator, set it to Extended BASIC under the Cartridge -> Apps menu

4. Press any key and then '2' to enter Extended BASIC

Legends will auto run from this point. There's a decent starting party already generated at level 1, feel free to make your own characters!

Adamantyr

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So.... I messed up my disk somehow and had to overwrite the whole copy with DM2 and start all over (boo!). I lost my party and maybe...30-40 hours? Is it cheating to try to modify the pdata file? I wouldn't even know how to do it since I don't think you can OLD the file in XB since it is not a program. It is just rough to start over...

EDIT:

All on original hardware

Edited by budz2355
  • Like 1

Nah, it's not cheating at all. :)

Editing the file can be tricky, do you have a hex editor for your hardware? That's probably the easiest way to do it. I need to look at the file but it shouldn't be too hard to update things.

Somewhere on the forum here I also have a PDATA file with maxed out characters...

Nah, it's not cheating at all. :)

Editing the file can be tricky, do you have a hex editor for your hardware? That's probably the easiest way to do it. I need to look at the file but it shouldn't be too hard to update things.

Somewhere on the forum here I also have a PDATA file with maxed out characters...

lol the last line of your post is definitely cheating :) Well I haven't used a hex editor since I was running windows 3.1 on a 486 as a teenager. I guess the short answer is no. I am just using a black/silver TI with a PEB, rs232, 32k, 2 full height 5.25" (one on a separate power supply) and a bunch of carts, tapes and a few diskettes.

I have EA, DM2, XB. Any of that help? As of right now I haven't connected my TI to a "modern" PC. I am trying to stay as pure as possible, but I do have another PEB and console in storage that I plan on modding with all of the bells and whistles someday (HxC, lantronix, f18A, etc)