IGNORED

Donkey Kong boxed?

OldAtarian

perhaps a limited boxed run of DK was published to sell to Adam buyers?

No, the US version of the Donkey Kong box was made long before the ADAM ever was released and in fact the only reason to buy the DK cart if you only owned the ADAM was for collection purposes as you could buy Super Donkey Kong on Data Pack for the ADAM.

The DK box was mainly made for advertising purposes, trade shows and probably in hindsight, someone at Coleco knew or had an idea that it could become a hot item. Also, one of Daniel B.'s videos show Arnold Greenberg in a picture with the DK box.

Not exactly sure, probably need someone like Ole to chime in, but weren't some ColecoVisions sold in Europe with an alternative game and therefore the need for a DK box as well... sort of like the Exp Mod #2 and Roller Controller (in Europe) offering different included games and that's why there is a Slither and Turbo box?

Edited by NIAD

perhaps a limited boxed run of DK was published to sell to Adam buyers?

No, the US version of the Donkey Kong box was made long before the ADAM ever was released and in fact the only reason to buy the DK cart if you only owned the ADAM was for collection purposes as you could buy Super Donkey Kong on Data Pack for the ADAM.

The DK box was mainly made for advertising purposes, trade shows and probably in hindsight, someone at Coleco knew or had an idea that it could become a hot item. Also, one of Daniel B.'s videos show Arnold Greenberg in a picture with the DK box.

Not exactly sure, probably need someone like Ole to chime in, but weren't some ColecoVisions sold in Europe with an alternative game and therefore the need for a DK box as well... sort of like the Exp Mod #2 and Roller Controller (in Europe) offering different included games and that's why there is a Slither and Turbo box?

I don't think there are any Turbo or Slither boxes. J-F did make some mock-ups of what they might have looked like.

I don't think there are any Turbo or Slither boxes. J-F did make some mock-ups of what they might have looked like.

Re. Turbo, you're right about J-F and the reproduction box, but I recall a picture my former boss took from Summer CES '83 (me thinks, maybe '84) that had a Turbo box. I jumped all over him when I saw it because I thought it was Super Turbo for the ADAM. As he explained, it was just a display box. The jury is out on Slither as the Roller Controller was definetly sold elsewhere (Europe/CBS ??) with Victory included, which means that a Slither box would have had to exist.

I double checked ColecoVision.dk and he states that his came with Victory (but does not state if it was bought in a box that way from a store or secondhand). I read one other place (and I can't remember where now :( ) about the Roll. Cont. being packaged with Victory (maybe even a special package with Slither also, or just Victory in it's own box tossed in)... probably because of how bad the game was and they figured they dump'em with the Roll. Cont. and make the easier sale of Slither.

Can anyone help with confirmation even though I know it's been discussed previously?

Edited by NIAD

Talking about Donkey Kong box, I would like to know wether someone has ever seen this box :

dk_cbs3.jpg

The picture was taken from a CBS brochure but I do not know if it has existed.

Yes it exists, and pops up fairly regularly on European Ebays, no special rarity to this one, pretty common.

See previous reply, the European variety of the DK box is different. So I infer that the English (shall we say "American") boxed DK which is rare was not made to satisfy any demand outside of N. America.

weren't some ColecoVisions sold in Europe with an alternative game

I'm not sure if it was in Europe, but I heard of a version sold with Mouse Trap instead of DK.

The common European box for DK is this one :

pdk_cbs.jpg

which is different from the one I showed : pdk_cbs3.jpg

I also look for any proof of existence of the one showed on the left on this picture (still from a brochure) :

pdkbox.jpg

This one is my graal :twisted:

I'm not sure if it was in Europe, but I heard of a version sold with Mouse Trap instead of DK.

pdk_cbs.jpg

I also look for any proof of existence of the one showed on the left on this picture (still from a brochure) :

pdkbox.jpg

Your holy grail of DK boxes would be the German release version, correct. I saw the Intellivision box in a picture on eBay Germany and if memory serves me right, the seller listed the cart for CBS ColecoVision. The box clearly used dark blue and said Intellivision.

Edited by NIAD

pdk_cbs.jpg

pdkbox.jpg

Your holy grail of DK boxes would be the German release version, correct. I saw the Intellivision box in a picture on eBay Germany and if memory serves me right, the seller listed the cart for CBS ColecoVision. The box clearly used dark blue and said Intellivision.

Why would the German version have French text on the front? :?

I've got the blue one which is for Intellivision, and the red one which is for Atari. I am looking for the grey one (for colecovision) which I never saw.

Hi Crapahute icon_smile.gif

I can't help with the Donkey Kong box you are looking for.

I have only the image itself from the same brochure as you.

But the picture you have with the 3 versions of the Donkey Kong for ColecoVision, Atari and Intellivision is not the image I have in my big brochure.

You have 3 boxes, while I instead have 3 cartridges.

Note: On the picture with the 3 cartridges, it is a U.S. cartridge with a U.K. label.

post-9873-129147857181_thumb.jpg

post-9873-129147902205_thumb.jpg

Why would the German version have French text on the front? :?

There's a German version of the same box, although I agree-- the one pictured is the French version. :)

Also Crapahute, I think the first cartoony DK box you showed (with a smiling kong) looks like an Austalian version I bought a couple years back that never arrived in the mail. :(

I've got the blue one which is for Intellivision, and the red one which is for Atari. I am looking for the grey one (for colecovision) which I never saw.

But the picture you have with the 3 versions of the Donkey Kong for ColecoVision, Atari and Intellivision is not the image I have in my big brochure.

Note: On the picture with the 3 cartridges, it is a U.S. cartridge with a U.K. label.

The photo I gave previously is from a brochure of 1984.

Here is what I've got from another brochure of 1983 :

pdkbox2.jpg

In this case, it is a US cartridge...

The photo I gave previously is from a brochure of 1984.

Here is what I've got from another brochure of 1983 :

pdkbox2.jpg

In this case, it is a US cartridge...

But it's not a US box. That's a UK box. Here's the US box

Edited by OldAtarian

• 2 months later...