IGNORED

Space Harrier News

Sheddy

It'd be a fair bit of work.

On the other hand, using MEMAC on VBXE would be fairly easy - banks can be mapped to the exact same location, just the switching method changes.

If I understand it correctly, Space Harrier uses an 8Mbit/1Mbyte card. If it is mostly used (more than half), then it could only be converted to a file version for machines with an 1MByte upgrade. VBXE has 512KB so that won't be enough in that case.

Also in that case, a file version won't fit on a standard ED, DD or even QD floppy. It then will only fit on an harddisk (or loaded via SIO2PC).

Robert

Edited by rdemming

I would imagine that it's 1MB all expanded and ready to plot. It might fit on a floppy compressed.

Yes, I suppose it could be compressed so it fits on a floppy. But I find decompressing a 64KB program already slow on an Atari 8-bit.

So decompressing 1024KB of data will throw us back to the loading times of the tape era :D

Robert

{edit}

But maybe for these kind of graphics data, a faster algorithm like RLE could be used although I wonder if such algorithm would compress enough.

Edited by rdemming