IGNORED

Info on SDrive, please

jasonbar

To those who are concerned about Rick & More Than Games, I just received a reply to a query e-mail I sent him about 11 days ago.

"

At this point I am still catching up with orders from Sep-Nov and will pick on new orders after the first of the year.

Rick D

MTG

"

Thanks,

-Jason

You might want to tide yourself over with SIO2PC from Atarimax, until you can get one of these things. I like the USB version.

I've already got an SIO2PC (RS 232 serial) and an SIO2PC (USB). :cool:

My RS 232-flavored one is for sale, as I no longer have a computer that can use it--that's why I bought the SIO2PC (USB). See my post for A8 stuff for sale in the Marketplace if interested.

Thanks,

-Jason

One more quick question on SDrive & SIO2SD. Do these devices require a power supply or do they get power from the SIO cable?

From what I can see in pictures, they don't have a power supply(!)

Thanks,

-Jason

The SIO2SD and SDrive have low power consumption and use +5V from the computers SIO port, the 1200XL requires replacing one resistor with a jumper for this.

Bill

One more quick question on SDrive & SIO2SD. Do these devices require a power supply or do they get power from the SIO cable?

From what I can see in pictures, they don't have a power supply(!)

Thanks,

-Jason

The SIO2SD and SDrive have low power consumption and use +5V from the computers SIO port, the 1200XL requires replacing one resistor with a jumper for this.

Bill

Thanks for the info--that's great news--I didn't realize that the SIO cable had power in it.

Thanks,

-Jason

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded those files & Norton Internet Security sure doesn't like one of them--it wants to delete it rather than try to fix it allow me to let it slide.

I'm unzipping it now & noticed that there are tons of .XEX files. I'm not familiar with that format, just .ATR. Can somebody please explain the difference?

Do SIO2SD & SDrive accommodate any file formats apart from .ATR?

Thanks,

-Jason

just download this one big zip file from Atarionline.pl, unzip the file and it is pretty much every Atari 8bit game (several versions in some cases) all alphabetized and drag the whole lot to your SD card.

ftp://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/rohar/!FULL/archiwumgier-atarionlinepl-2010-12-01.7z

I have been using this for the last couple of years on my s-drive and just update it when new games are released.

They have another similar file that is dedicated to demo discs

ftp://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/rohar/!FULL/archiwumdemosceny-atarionlinepl-2010-12-01.7z

and yet another with utilities

ftp://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/rohar/!FULL/archiwumuzytkow-atarionlinepl-2010-12-01.7z

I downloaded those files & Norton Internet Security sure doesn't like one of them--it wants to delete it rather than try to fix it allow me to let it slide.

I'm unzipping it now & noticed that there are tons of .XEX files. I'm not familiar with that format, just .ATR. Can somebody please explain the difference?

Do SIO2SD & SDrive accommodate any file formats apart from .ATR?

Thanks,

-Jason

XEX files are Atari program executable files.

The other image file format supported by the SIO2SD/SDrive, XFD, is Read Only.

Bill

If you're interested in SDrive NUXX, I think I will sell mine.

post-12528-129157999598_thumb.jpg

It has still the protection sticker.

Just as a suggestion, pull that plastic off within a year or two. The adhesive used on protective plastics like that tends to go weird after a while and leave the surface below gummy. The SDrive NUXX panels are anodized and pretty darn durable, so I wouldn't worry about needing much protection over it. Normal use shouldn't affect it at all.

I'm looking at getting an SD interface myself... is there a preference between SDrive and SIO2SD? I was thinking of getting the SIO2SD myself.

Well, IMHO the SIO2SD wins for "coolness" due to the 2-line LCD. SDrive is a cheaper no-frills version. I believe they are functionally identical. I am lucky enough to have both, but have not yet made a case for the SIO2SD. I do have a MIB XM301 waiting to die for the cause :D

Well, IMHO the SIO2SD wins for "coolness" due to the 2-line LCD. SDrive is a cheaper no-frills version. I believe they are functionally identical. I am lucky enough to have both, but have not yet made a case for the SIO2SD. I do have a MIB XM301 waiting to die for the cause :D

Well one significant feature of the SIO2SD is the ability to swap images in and out of drives on the fly.

I'm looking at getting an SD interface myself... is there a preference between SDrive and SIO2SD? I was thinking of getting the SIO2SD myself.

I think both are good value, the SDrive is less expensive but has fewer features.

There is new Version 3 firmware under development for the SIO2SD, information available here, which will add support for SDHC cards and more drives.

Well one significant feature of the SIO2SD is the ability to swap images in and out of drives on the fly.

Well, that is certainly a handy feature, and I do like the LCD display over the LEDs. The cost isn't a factor here, but I didn't want to pay extra if it was just a waste. It doesn't sound like a waste at all. :)

:)

;)

OK, Mr. Mysterious Post Man, are those for sale, or are those part of your private collection?

:lust:

-Jason

Hi Jason. If you want, I can sell you one of them. :cool:

Is not for my personal collection, simply I wanted to make one for me, and finally after I got in trouble I decided to create some more. Also I have made and some SXEGS/Ramcarts from them.(Raster C.P.U.)

I send you p.m.