IGNORED

Atari <=> Mac

blitterbox

Anybody have the up-to-date skinny on how I might get my Atari 800 stuff to Mac?

I've been looking around various sites and I'm finding so much old, contradictory, incomplete info. As a total noob at this 8-bit-in-the-21st-century stuff, I'm rather baffled.

I especially have 3 programs I'd really like to see working again but don't really want to pull out all my old equipment unless I'm able to transfer the stuff over to an emulator on my Mac.

----

I wrote a BASIC/ASM Font editor that was... unusual in that it allowed previews in any GTIA text mode while editing. But the culmination of my ATARI experience and pinnacle of my programming skill though it came way too late; was a BASIC/ASM program to go with the Font Editor, called LandScaper. It was a utility for creating font based scrollable landscapes in any GTIA text mode. One loaded up the font of choice, and used a stick to navigate a "landscape" defined by text mode, and whatever combination of collumns x rows desired (assuming it would fit in ram).

Via console key one switched back and forth between the scrolling landscape and a GRAPHICS 0 text palette of the font, but to avoid having to do so too for every character change, it had block copy move and erase commands, as well as individual character copying. Entire scrollable landscapes could be loaded and saved. :cool:

The third program was entirely ASSEMBLY and scrolled a landscape in the Synapse vein that I created with the tools. It had a Defender kinda spaceship that fired PM based lasers. Then I got a Mac and nothing came of any of it. :_(

• 1 month later...

Hey ...

When you get it transferred over, I'd like an .ATR of that editor please.

I also wrote one of my own, back in the day, which also allowed preview in any of the text modes (Graphics 0/0.5, 1/2, 12/13) with the GTIA set to any of the four states (normal, 9, 10, or 11). It's proven partially useful in the writing of the software text mode font editor I am working on right now.

On a side note: given modern Macs are intel-processor based, is there some free/shareware software to run Windows 3.x/98/XP stuff on modern Macs (just 32-bit not 64-bit)? Some customer of mine bought my CD and he only has a Mac.

three-ways-to-run-windows-on-your-mac Maybe this can help? Seems the options are dual boot, or use a VM such as VMWare Player. I only have experience using VMWare Player when hosted on a Windows machine. But it will let me run any OS I like.

A virtual machine will work to a point. The problem will be finding hardware drivers for the older Windoze versions. Where I work, we still use 98 for a specific task, and it's getting difficult acquiring MBs, I/O cards, etc that still have reliable support for 98. My guess is XP and newer are about the only viable WinOSs for Intel Mac hardware. While one might manage to get 98 to work, I seriously doubt 95 or 3.1 (basically a glorified DOS shell?) would be happy on an Intel Mac.

James

Edited by gyrene2111

I run XP on my Mac Book using the excellent and free VirtualBoxfrom Sun/Oracle. It works very well.

One big problem with Virtualbox: I just tried it and it requires you to have the original OS that you want to install which would be problematic for customers. I set up a virtual machine of Win98SE and now it expects you to install Windows 98 from original CD.

I run XP on my Mac Book using the excellent and free VirtualBoxfrom Sun/Oracle. It works very well.

One big problem with Virtualbox: I just tried it and it requires you to have the original OS that you want to install which would be problematic for customers. I set up a virtual machine of Win98SE and now it expects you to install Windows 98 from original CD.

Not sure I understand. Surely every virtualisation system works in this way? You create a VM and then install it froman image or from a CD. Either way you need a license to use the copy of the OS running in the virt.

The only thing I can think of that works differently is WINE which isn't actually Windows. It's a re-implementation of the Windows APIs. (or at least that was correct last time I looked at it. )

Not sure I understand. Surely every virtualisation system works in this way? You create a VM and then install it froman image or from a CD. Either way you need a license to use the copy of the OS running in the virt.

That's why I asked for a freeware/shareware solution as I can't sell a CD for $20 and then expect customer to pay for an old OS (assuming it's available) and then install that on top of the virtualbox. Too much trouble especially for the nontechnically inclined customers. This problem is not just for Macs though it's also for 64-bit Windows OSes which refuse to run older Windows applications.

The only thing I can think of that works differently is WINE which isn't actually Windows. It's a re-implementation of the Windows APIs. (or at least that was correct last time I looked at it. )

DOSBox also has built-in DOS so no need to pay for a separate DOS.

That's why I asked for a freeware/shareware solution as I can't sell a CD for $20 and then expect customer to pay for an old OS (assuming it's available) and then install that on top of the virtualbox. Too much trouble especially for the nontechnically inclined customers. This problem is not just for Macs though it's also for 64-bit Windows OSes which refuse to run older Windows applications.

DOSBox also has built-in DOS so no need to pay for a separate DOS.

Ah, I see. Sorry I guess I misunderstood what you were looking for.

I didn't realise DOSBox was still around. I used it a while ago for running some old PC software that didn't like Windows XP.