IGNORED

Native for Dreamcast 2011

CD-i

As seen on German TV yesterday, Redspotgames - a German Retro Game Publisher who has released other DC games in the last years - announced "Sturmwind" for DC.

The game is made by Duranik and features many assets seen on Native. Seems like they made it now final for DC.

www.duranik.de

sturmi.jpg

sturm2.jpg

Hope they will eventually get back to the Jag and do a port (stripped down, of course) :)

Edited by CD-i

Here's a youtube video that's in German but the description does give a nice English translation as well as some gameplay video in the background.

Here's the english translation from the video:

Yve: With me is Max Scharl from redspotgames, hello Max!

Max: Hello Yve!

Y: You develop games for Dreamcast, a console that's been dead for nine years now... sounds a bit strange, so why are you doing that?

M: We are a publisher, distributor and promoter for new Sega Dreamcast games, we're also developing in-house, but it's mainly gonna be external assignments. As for why we're doing what we're doing... Well, about five years ago, five friends thought, Dreamcast is an amazing console and we couldn't understand why it was discontinued, it was really abandoned by the industry just like that, just because of some internal company issues. So that's why we thought this can't be it and we want to keep on providing the console with games, that's our motto. The platform can never be too old or too unknown for us to develop new games for it.

Y: So you're big Dreamcast fans and thought "The dream has to go on".

M: Exactly.

Y: So you're some kind of "Underdog"?

M: Well, like we've just then in the report (There was a reportage about underdogs like Apple before the segment) about Apple, right now Apple is a giant company, which became big thanks to it underdog status and also advertises like that. We are still small. And I don't think we can advertise with that, nor do we want to, because it's so obvious. After all, we're just addressing the people already inside the scene, surely a few more, but all in all, we're not relying on the underdog status.

Y: So you're still real underdogs! Well, does it pay off, I mean you have to live of it, right?

M: You "should" be able to live of it, you're right there. Well, I have to admit, it's a close thing. With good promotion, you can already get the sales of an average WiiWare or XBox Live Arcade game, but in the end it's still a console with a lot of loyal fans, yet no big publisher would ever consider publishing for it, because you can't keep a company going like that. For us, it's difficult as well, but we're only a small amount of people, we have a good overview, so it's okay for us.

Y: And you also put a lot of effort in your new game, a new topgame which you also have with you today.

M: Right, we have been working for six years now on a game called "Sturmwind" (Stormwind) you can see here in the background. It has been developed by a two-man-team from Baden-Württemberg (German region) called "Duranik", and right now, we've shown this game to the public for the first time ever, and with this show, this report, the preordering starts, which can be reached at www.redspotgames.com/shop where you can take a first glance and buy the game.

Y: Making a bit of advertisement here, t hat's not too bad, is it? *laughs*

M: Yeah right, it's the time before christmas, and a long-time gaming fan could think of getting a classic game. Like you see, it's pretty old-school and follows the old principles. I would even go as far as to say that it uses pretty unique effects and animations for an Indie Dreamcast release.

Y: After all, retro is a trend, isn't it?

M: Yes, it became that recently and we're happy about that, we started back before retro was a trend. I think it's just a fixed thing in history, that retro, the old stuff, now especially with the "flooding of the modern wold", is getting more and more interesting.

Y: Max, thanks for being here and I wish you good luck with your new game and all your other projects.

M: Thanks Yve.

Edited by AtariLeaf

Hope they will eventually get back to the Jag and do a port (stripped down, of course) :)

Why would they even need to strip it down? The Jaguar doesn't lack in 2D capabilities AFAIK, it's 3D where it has its problems.

I can say I'd pay 70-80 Euros for a Jaguar cart of the full game and 50 to 60 for a CD release.

Thorsten

Why would they even need to strip it down? The Jaguar doesn't lack in 2D capabilities AFAIK, it's 3D where it has its problems.

I can say I'd pay 70-80 Euros for a Jaguar cart of the full game and 50 to 60 for a CD release.

Thorsten

relying on the video there seems to be some textured polys, which will bring the jag in trouble...

And even if it was all 2D it would probably still need to be stripped down somewhat. The Jag was a powerful 2D-machine for 1993; the DC was powerful in 2D even for 1999-stanards. Games like Street Fighter III or Garou show bitmap graphics beyond anything possible on older systems without sacrifices.

So if a Jag-Version was to be made there would be serious reworking needed in any case.

Thorsten

There's no way the Jag is doing 640*480 screens for starters. The Jag is a great 2D machine but it has its limits.

Not a big fan of polygonal shooters, i prefer the look of the Jags demo of Native. Still its great news for Dreamcast fans, i am sure the game will be great!

I'm there with you. I think it looks great and probably will play so aswell but it is a bit too colorful in a comicbook way for me.

I think the jaguar graphics appealed more to me aswell but then again I haven't seen as much of this one yet.

Guess it's time to get a dreamcast again.