IGNORED

Original Flashback2 Sighting... $24.99

Riscx is right about the box art, I found one of my old fb boxes tonight (while digging around for ti-99 psu). I compared the two boxes (pirate and legit) side by side...they are mirror images. The red of the original box is a little darker than the pirate, and the carbboard (viewed from inside the box) is also darker but the difference is slight and it wouldn't surprise me if similar differences were evident in different batches of legit packaging.

There was one discrepancy between the two boxes that might be able to clue people in as to whether or not an original or pirate fb is inside, it's in the seal. The font on the pirate seal is slightly bolder than the legit seal. It's a small difference, but easily noticeable if your looking for it. If all legit fbs have seals with the same font as mine and fb pirate consoles all use the same font....then a close pic of the seal would be enough to validate a console. Maybe some others with real and fake fbs could take a look at their seal and post if it's the same or different from what I have.

Here are a couple pics to illustrate what I'm talking about, the left label is the pirate, right is legit original:

This looks like it could be the way to tell. I looked at my fake and it too has the bolder, slightly miss-shaped Atari logo. The "R" is the giveaway. The diagonal leg of the R goes farther out beyond the loop of the R compared to the 'ATARI' logo on the box, and the loop in the 'R' is a bit flatter. Also, if you look at the Fuji in the logo, the center leg of the original doesn't flare until near the bottom. The fake flares much higher. I guess we will have to make sure that anyone selling a Flashback online has a good picture of the seal, if intact.

Did you buy it from Amazon themselves or from a person selling on Amazon? If Amazon has them this could be a bigger deal than thought previously.

that will be difficult to say as I bought it through an import service. that buys from amazon

I had a quick look again amazon does not have stock at the moment.

but some sellers are offering eg BESTSKU etc

what we can take away from this is that the seller stock on amazon is tainted.

also what is really interesting to me is that I can find no glitching on the unit except for the normal reported flashback 2 glitches eg. yar's return

If you make a AtoZ complaint to Amazon, the seller would lose and you get your money back. Amazon does not take kindly to fakes being sold on their website.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sooo...I've had my FB2 since back in 06 or whenever I bought it.

Can somebody put up the Coles Notes version of the differences of the 'real' vs 'fakes'?

I mean, if I have to open the thing up to see what kind of circuit board is in there, then...well, these guys obviously did their homework. And since mine works, and looks like the vast majority of them out there, I'm going to assume mine is legit.

And if it's not, well...can't say I care all that much. I did my part. I bought it in a legit store (Walmart). It works. What am I supposed to do about it now?

Usually a knockoff can be easily spotted, and I doubt that someone would go through the trouble to make such convincing fakes on a product that, let's be honest, didn't exactly go viral in popularity.

All I can say is that if someone took the time to do this, then I'd imagine Sony and Microsoft would have an even larger problem on their hands...consoles that people actually buy.

Sooo...I've had my FB2 since back in 06 or whenever I bought it.

Can somebody put up the Coles Notes version of the differences of the 'real' vs 'fakes'?

I mean, if I have to open the thing up to see what kind of circuit board is in there, then...well, these guys obviously did their homework. And since mine works, and looks like the vast majority of them out there, I'm going to assume mine is legit.

And if it's not, well...can't say I care all that much. I did my part. I bought it in a legit store (Walmart). It works. What am I supposed to do about it now?

If it was at Walmart in '06 it was legit, Walmart and Target were the main retailers they were distributed through. These pirates were from the last two years.

Usually a knockoff can be easily spotted, and I doubt that someone would go through the trouble to make such convincing fakes on a product that, let's be honest, didn't exactly go viral in popularity.

All I can say is that if someone took the time to do this, then I'd imagine Sony and Microsoft would have an even larger problem on their hands...consoles that people actually buy.

These new ones were pirate, there *is no question*.

Edited by wgungfu

• 2 months later...

Oh thank all that is holy! My formally sealed one is official, thankfully; mine has the correct plastic seal text.

Added a picture:

IMG00092.jpg

Also it only cost me $5, so I started to sweat and read everything.

Whew! Real, not fake. This thread almost made me cry but now I feel better.

Thank you, crsdawg for putting my mind at ease.

fakeflashback2.jpg

Edited by Dreammary

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Are the fake FB2's any easier or harder to do the cartridge port mod on? I have purchased several used ones for $5-$10 with an eye on doing the mods, I can't say if they are real or fake, some have no boxes at all, and there is no guarentee that they got to me in the box the came in originally.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few of the fake ones also. The quickest way to tell is just to look at the label on the bottom of the console... look at the letter "R" in the word ATARI... if the "leg" of the letter "R" extends beyond the top part of the letter "R" (as pictured previously in this thread in several places) then it is fake. All of mine were fake except the very first one I bought... which was prior to the import of the Pirate versions.

I appreciate the effort put into this thread in helping identify the Pirated FlashBacks.

MrBackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat

• 6 years later...

I happened on this thread to determine which FB2 was real or fake on some ebay listings. These pictures are from some sellers who were good enough to take a picture of the bottom label.
6c66f29e884d32b598b8d7d5921494b1.jpg
Real

8183595dab49bb808db57f1df1e936a6.jpg
Fake
-Spacing is off. Sometimes there isn’t. Sometimes it’s too much.
-Kerning is off
-Fat Fuji symbol. Especially the middle leg.
-ATARI is bolder with the leg of the R extending past the top of the R
-TM is larger and sits below the top of ATARI
-China is spaced out

• Like 1